Visa amnesty expected to be extended to 31 October

webfact

6 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

Do you honestly think  that the  elite visa is the only option for under 50's ? 

If you dont have "mustard factory" or married here, you don't have many option! Whitout business or work not many long stay visa available!

27 minutes ago, Drew3223 said:

You can't see it, but right now I have a middle finger raised to all the horrible jealous petty posters who couldn't wait to preach to people holding out for another amnesty. How do you like your apples? hahahaha 

You still don't see it through the forest of trees your in.  The Amnesty has never truly been about the tourists, and it has been about ensuring those that fail to do the right thing in trying to get them to either obtain the right Visa or extension.  Moreover, it, is for the Hundred's of Thousand's of migrant workers who either have border passes or lack the proper paperwork to be here.  As of last count last year there were approximately 1,039,797 documented workers, while 796,869 lacked legal documents, and that was just from Cambodia.  So you need to understand Amnesty has nothing to do with the few tourists here, but instead there is a bigger picture.  Tourists who were really tourists and used the amnesty to stay here instead of returning home as a fallback because of Covid, need to get over themselves.  Everyone else here who expects to be given a free Visa or an free ride needs to think again, and if you can not get legal then now would be the time to make plans and leave and return home.  Many of the migrant workers did that already, but there are those still working here, or are hanging on as servants, maids, etc.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It's a quiet office and not far from a couple of supermarkets I go to, so on a shopping trip in the next month or so I'll pop in to check exactly what documents they want from me. I already have a list from a previous thread on here, but we all know that doesn't really mean anything.

Yes, always recommended to check at your local IO prior to applying for the 1-year extension whether they have specific or additional requirements on top of the regular IO rules/regulations.

Ask for a 'list' of the requirements and whether there are some local specifics not mentioned on that list.

Some offices are notorious for small formatting amendments of the required documents, resulting in you having to come back to meet those 'last-minute' requirements (e.g. black/white or color photographs, 2 or 4 pictures glued on paper or printed, etc.). 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, genericptr said:

dude it's 15k USD for the Elite which under 50's need. That's a lot of money for some of us. Not even sure if that's an option without leaving the country first.

Works out to 2,000 baht a week, if you cant afford that then you cant afford to live here.

The amnesty isnt an alternate longstay visa for under 50s.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

It isn't the "help" from foreigners that has caused this....tey simply realise it can't happen on time.....so many decisions in Thailand are by "dictum' with no regard for reasoning or implementation.

The foreigners in Thailand present little income to the government but also little threat - they certainly don't present a covid threat.......if they start needing healthcare, then they are a threat.....but 150 as a percentage of 70 million is pretty small.

There are many more than 150 foreigners in Thailand - there are a huge number of expats, comparatively, and their money is significant, including those who are fleeing home countries they can no longer in because of their extremely high cost of living.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

That isn't how it's paid. Maybe you don't know that it has to be paid in one lump, not weekly.

The same as married, retire etc, we all have to find the lump sum upfront

Edited by Peterw42

6 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Works out to 2,000 baht a week, if you cant afford that then you cant afford to live here.

The amnesty isnt an alternate longstay visa for under 50s.

Whilst I get that logic- it's not like paying for a car and having something to show for it at the end- it's dead money paid upfront.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, barsie said:

Whilst I get that logic- it's not like paying for a car and having something to show for it at the end- it's dead money paid upfront.

If I stay here until I die, I dont really have anything to show for the retire 800k either.

31 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

If you have children, you don't need to keep the cash in the bank for 2 months.

That's indeed correct.  When applying for a 1-year extension of stay based on your Non Imm O Visa for reason of supporting Thai dependent children, you ONLY need to show 400K on your personal Thai bank-account at the moment of application.  But you would need to keep it there till after the 3-4 weeks under consideration period till you got the actual 1-year permission to stay approval stamp in your passport. But rest of the year you are free to use the funds as you please.

16 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And it also, I've read, puts you at the bottom of the list if you want to return to Thailand during the pandemic. Several other categories were given permission before those who stupidly thought that parting with half a million would give them special privileges. 'Elite' it isn't.

If it gets approved and funded while in country, the visa stamp can be put in the passport here. It doesn't require one to exit the country, especially now. Maybe that is a marketing tool...Buy it Now, Get it Here....but it's one way to stay as long as one wants.

4 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:
40 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

If you have children, you don't need to keep the cash in the bank for 2 months.

That's indeed correct.  When applying for a 1-year extension of stay based on your Non Imm O Visa for reason of supporting Thai dependent children, you ONLY need to show 400K on your personal Thai bank-account at the moment of application.  But you would need to keep it there till after the 3-4 weeks under consideration period till you got the actual 1-year permission to stay approval stamp in your passport. But rest of the year you are free to use the funds as you please.

I don't have children. But there doesn't seem to be a great deal of difference whether I do or not, only that if I did it need only be seasoned during the application approval period. After the one-year extension is received the 400,000 can be used anyway, until rinse and repeat in 10 months time. Correct?

7 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Are you sure, I heard that it doesn't need to be there for 1 month. Last year, I was not asked for the bank statement after 1 month.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, barsie said:

Officially married as well as Buddhist ceremony with fully documented pictures.

Age 38

Nationality English

No criminal record

I have well in excess of funds in bank for 6 months and receive more per month

Full documents from condo I live in

Hi David,

Thanks for posting the scans from your passport.

From what I can see you entered Thailand 13 Dec 2019 on a 90-day Non Imm O Visa, which provided you with a permission to stay till 11 March 2020.  You left Thailand on that date for Malaysia.  No picture of the Visa or permission to stay stamp when you re-entered Thailand (but surely that was before 26 March when borders closed).  On 11 Sept you applied for a 60-day extension of stay, and your permission to stay expires 9 Nov.

In order to provide advice on your options, it is important to know on which Visa (or Visa Exempt) you entered Thailand when you returned mid March from Malaysia.

It will determine whether you need to apply for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa (when having entered Visa Exempt or on a Tourist Visa) or for a 1-year extension of stay when you re-entered on a Non Imm O Visa acquired in Malaysia.

You are officially married to a Thai national (otherwise you would not have gotten the 60-day extension of stay till 9 Nov), but do you also have Thai dependent children?  If so, different financial requirements will be applicable.

Edited by Peter Denis

5 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

BTW, even the Thai Govt recognizes that people like me exist, as their new LTTV program allows for up to 270 days in country for 'tourists'. Folks like me are the ones that program has as its target market.

I hope my explanation allows you to do away with 'finding it incredible', as the explanation is simple and tied up in two things: I stay because it is allowed and affordable, and the situation of this pandemic is unprecedented in the lives of all alive today.

Except for the extensive travel, it sounds like me and my girlfriend.  And being that it was our first time traveling internationally, our whole trip was ruined.  So sticking it out and traveling Thailand during the pandemic sounds nice.  If we go back, there is no telling when we would get this opportunity again with the way ALL governments are using this 99.9% survival virus as a control measure.

We pump our fair share into the economy and follow all laws and visa requirements and are under 50.  Although I did not appreciate how the immigration situation was handled with daily limits forcing and creating angry and stressful people just trying to follow the law.  You say go earlier? You cna't do that if you want them to stamp it correctly.  Why were they not listening to their own laws? I have no idea.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Are you sure, I heard that it doesn't need to be there for 1 month. Last year, I was not asked for the bank statement after 1 month.

Actually I am not fully sure about this. 

The IO rules/regulations do not say anything about that the funds need to be kept on the Thai bank-account during the under-consideration period of a Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage/Thai dependent children, but at several IOs they require it when doing the 1-year extension of stay application for reason of marriage.

So I presume that same goes when applying for reason of Thai dependent child(ren).

@ubonjoe will for sure be able to confirm whether it is necessary or not.

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 1