Honda to quit F1 to focus on zero-emission technology

Honda to quit F1 to focus on zero-emission technology

2020-10-02T090228Z_1_LYNXMPEG910VB_RTROPTP_4_F1-HONDA.JPG

FILE PHOTO: The Honda logo displayed at the 89th Geneva International Motor Show in Geneva, Switzerland, March 5, 2019. REUTERS/Pierre Albouy/File Photo

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan's Honda Motor will end its participation as an engine supplier in the FIA Formula One World Championship at the end of the 2021 season to focus on zero-emission technology, it said on Friday.

The decision was made at the end of September and the company does not intend to return to F1, Chief Executive Takahiro Hachigo said in an online news conference.

"This is not a result of the coronavirus pandemic but because of our longer-term carbon-free goal," he said.

Like other automakers, Honda is rushing to build new-energy vehicles in an industry shift that Hachigo on Friday described as "once in a century". That race is accelerating amid the coronavirus outbreak as carmakers review production plans to capture market share with new models including low or zero-emission vehicles.

Honda, which returned to F1 in 2015 and last year began in supplying engines to the Red Bull Racing team, said it will divert the resources it used to build F1 engines towards efforts to accelerate development of zero-emission technologies such as fuel cells and batteries.

"We understand how difficult it has been for Honda Motor Company to reach the decision. We understand and respect the reasoning behind this," Red Bull Team Principal Christian Horner said in a statement.

Honda is launching its first mass-produced all-battery car this month - the Honda e - and has announced plans for two thirds of the company's output to be new-energy vehicles by 2030.

Domestic rival Toyota Motor Corp last week said it expects annual sales of electric vehicles to reach 5.5 million in 2025, five years earlier than initially planned.

(Reporting by Tim Kelly and Chris Gallagher; Editing by David Goodman)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-10-03

So down to just three engine suppliers.

RB probably don’t have a lot of choice.

Renault have to offer to supply.

Mercedes are very unlikely to supply.

Ferrari engines are well down on power since FIA told them whatever they were doing last year has to cease.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Honda F1 engines ARE zero-emission after they crash or break down.   LOL

Honda won six consecutive constructors' championships as an engine manufacturer (two with Williams between 1986–87 and four with McLaren between 1988–91), as well as five consecutive drivers' championships (one by Nelson Piquet in 1987, three by Ayrton Senna in 1988, 1990 and 1991, and one by Alain Prost in 1989).

Not a bad record.

Yeah this zero carbon thing sounds like nonsense. Honda just increased its commitment to IndyCar racing.

Fact is F1 power units have become so complicated they are massively expensive to build and develop. 

If you are not winning then its hard to justify that expense. 

This decision will of course cause Red Bull to have its usual tantrum over engine supply. Threaten to quit and Horner on TV every weekend honking about how the engine suppliers MUST give RBR a competitive power unit. Usually he wants the power unit that is currently winning. 

I will say it again.

If Red Bull want a competitive engine they should build one themselves.  

4 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Yeah this zero carbon thing sounds like nonsense. Honda just increased its commitment to IndyCar racing.

Fact is F1 power units have become so complicated they are massively expensive to build and develop. 

If you are not winning then its hard to justify that expense. 

This decision will of course cause Red Bull to have its usual tantrum over engine supply. Threaten to quit and Horner on TV every weekend honking about how the engine suppliers MUST give RBR a competitive power unit. Usually he wants the power unit that is currently winning. 

I will say it again.

If Red Bull want a competitive engine they should build one themselves.  

If everyone had to go down that road there would only be 2 cars on the track.

I like Moto2 where every bike is forced to use the same engine.........and its a Triumph!

Edited by polpott

5 minutes ago, polpott said:

If everyone had to go down that road there would only be 2 cars on the track.

I like Moto2 where every bike is forced to use the same engine.........and its a Triumph!

Aye sorry I should have expanded on my point about the complexity and cost of power units.

The rules need to change so they are simpler and therefor less expensive.

My rant in reference to Red Bull is because that team feels entitled to titles. They have a massive budget which is basically used to simply develop a chassis. The power unit is someone elses problem. I will personally laugh if they have to go back to Renault with their tail between their legs. They also have a shocking record regarding their own drivers. 

Moto GP? When was the last time someone not riding a Repsol Honda won the championship? They have an even greater domination than Mercedes.

1 minute ago, Rookiescot said:

Aye sorry I should have expanded on my point about the complexity and cost of power units.

The rules need to change so they are simpler and therefor less expensive.

My rant in reference to Red Bull is because that team feels entitled to titles. They have a massive budget which is basically used to simply develop a chassis. The power unit is someone elses problem. I will personally laugh if they have to go back to Renault with their tail between their legs. They also have a shocking record regarding their own drivers. 

Moto GP? When was the last time someone not riding a Repsol Honda won the championship? They have an even greater domination than Mercedes.

Moto 2. All engines are Triumph.

Last non Honda to win the title? Jorge Lorenzo. Yamaha. 2015.

"They have a massive budget which is basically used to simply develop a chassis". Same was true of McClaren and Benneton.

8 minutes ago, polpott said:

Moto 2. All engines are Triumph.

Last non Honda to win the title? Jorge Lorenzo. Yamaha. 2015.

"They have a massive budget which is basically used to simply develop a chassis". Same was true of McClaren and Benneton.

By my reckoning since 1983 there has only been 14 years where Repsol Honda did not win the championship. Which is astonishing. 

Indeed yes its the same case with McClaren and Benneton (who became Renault) and indeed teams like Williams.

My point is power units need to be simplified so that teams can build their own (McClaren certainly could now) or other engine suppliers will come in.

Also the rule regarding engine development during the season needs visited. Basically if you start the season with a PU which is a dog then there is very little you can do about it.   

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, polpott said:

Honda won six consecutive constructors' championships as an engine manufacturer (two with Williams between 1986–87 and four with McLaren between 1988–91), as well as five consecutive drivers' championships (one by Nelson Piquet in 1987, three by Ayrton Senna in 1988, 1990 and 1991, and one by Alain Prost in 1989).

Not a bad record.

Yep, and Coventry City beat Spurs in the FA Cup in 1987, followed by Wimbledon beating Liverpool the following year. 

You may, or may not have noticed that I put LOL on the post you replied to, as I do on this as well.   LOL 555