EU, UK to step up Brexit talks to try to close 'significant gaps' over trade deal

rooster59

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

It was not claimed that the 27 members of the E.U. all want to rush the door. You are misquoting.

I was referring to the post of HenryFord :

"They just want to punish Britain so the other 27 don't rush for the door".

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Who phoned who?

Johnson phoned Ursula 

I find this a brave decision, knowing some ( a lot?) of his followers won't appreciate this.

Maybe, just maybe, he really wants the welfare of the U.K. and all its citizens, and think a deal with the E.U. will contribute to it.

Just now, luckyluke said:

I find this a brave decision, knowing some ( a lot?) of his followers won't appreciate this.

Maybe, just maybe, he really wants the welfare of the U.K. and all its citizens, and think a deal with the E.U. will contribute to it.

I think the reality and all the risk assessments the government will have done will be starting to convince Johnson that no deal will destroy the UK economy.

They tried to bluff in order to force the EU to blink but thats failed so now its simply an option to capitulate. 

Hes going to have to try and sell Mays deal to the fundamentalist Brexiteers as being a good deal and not the Brino they always called it.

Personally I'm grabbing the popcorn because this is going to be epic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

I think the reality and all the risk assessments the government will have done will be starting to convince Johnson that no deal will destroy the UK economy.

They tried to bluff in order to force the EU to blink but thats failed so now its simply an option to capitulate. 

Hes going to have to try and sell Mays deal to the fundamentalist Brexiteers as being a good deal and not the Brino they always called it.

Personally I'm grabbing the popcorn because this is going to be epic.

Interesting approach.

1 hour ago, david555 said:

Your own bosses ..really..? must be a marvellous feeling ????????????

Are you not ashame to say that as subject of Imperial Britain to have feeled you as subject to other ruler ....????????????.....identity crisis restoring ....???? at last  ?

Sorry, don't understand your post, but I liked the Imperial Britain bit....Fanks....:thumbsup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, puipuitom said:

No further comment needed:

www.worldatlas.com/articles/sick-man-of-europe.html

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jun/28/why-the-uk-is-the-sick-man-of-europe-again

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/b/the-sick-man-of-europe

Be happy on your tiny islands. Do not forget to apply for a Schengen visa, international drivers + insurance licences, and... WTO "third country" import duty into the EU.

Bye-the-way: in all EU member states, EACH national Parliament has to agree with a Brexit deal ( if to be organised in these short days) OR.. EVER.. a new membership of the UK (England). ONE against = nothing

Good luck with your history. Reality nowadays is "slightly" different. Maybe back to the times of Alfred the Great ? 

And bye-the way: the Canada deal...Not in force (parts are provisionally applied), only 15 EU members ratified till now. 10 9 TEN) years after the start of negociations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comprehensive_Economic_and_Trade_Agreement

https://www.rcinet.ca/en/2020/09/30/ceta-trade-deal-three-years-later-canadian-agriculture-still-dissatisfied/ ( September 30, 2020 )

You do worry too much, calm down, just remember, we are British, not Brussels Sprouts..Keep smiling....:intheclub:

5 minutes ago, david555 said:

It was just to explain that I am surprised you could feel as you where  under our E.U. boot all those 45 years ....,????which with the "Imperial DNA feeling " I would classify as...impossible …. thus a very fake excuse the independence drift  … ( but I know you have a " selective" understanding brain... :thumbsup:  )

Truth is..., you did not feel at home in the club …., as not allowed to play the first violin , or be in the drivers seat all the time ..:thumbsup:

We are a democratic union 

You reckon..........????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, petermik said:

Britain is one t not two....and we will certainly not be ruled by faceless unelected EU bureaucrats that,s for sure :thumbsup:

Yeh! don't mess with our name!!

"Britain" comes from Latin: Britannia~Brittania, via Old French Bretaigne and Middle English Breteyne, possibly influenced by Old English Bryten(lond), probably also from Latin Brittania, ultimately an adaptation of the Common Brittonic name for the island, *Pritanī.

I know that it mainly refers to the French and before them possibly the Romans but it's ours now!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, luckyluke said:

There were numerous speculations why the talking's were still going on.

There will numerous speculations why Mr. Johnson phoned Mrs. von  der Leyen, and why the talkings seems to be extend.

Will they be heading for the "Tunnel" any time soon?

1 hour ago, transam said:

just remember, we are British, not Brussels Sprouts..Keep smiling....:intheclub:

Some do not like Brussels Sprouts, but insist to get their pensions and laid-off allowances, despite their country who sent them, does not honor their own commitments.

no Brussels from me anymore.jpg

Edited by puipuitom
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Why has Johnson been forced to beg for a talks extension if its the EU thats on the rails?

According to all you Brexiteers on here he is perfectly happy with no deal so why the need for a delay?

Fact is that its him thats blinking so much Optrex cant keep up with demand. ????

I hope you're not going to keep repeating this lie about Boris 'begging' for an extension. The reality is explained here in the remainers' favourite rag: 

Boris Johnson and Ursula von der Leyen have approved a further month of Brexit negotiations after agreeing that enough progress has been made to justify a last push to reach a deal on trade and security.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/03/johnson-and-von-der-leyen-extend-brexit-talks-by-a-month

• Like 2

2 hours ago, luckyluke said:

I was referring to the post of HenryFord :

"They just want to punish Britain so the other 27 don't rush for the door".

Looking to a British poll, the other EU member states will not rush to the (exit) door. Better chance to run inside, and be protected by the EU outer border. The Czechs with 66 % remain and 21,9 % Chexit are the lowest in approval of the EU.

Maybe the Northern Irish and Scots want to run in ? Just a more frequent ferry from Belfast, Dublin and Cork, and no need to travel though the UK anymore + quicker in France and by that the entire EU.

Eur social survey member EU.webp

Edited by puipuitom
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I hope you're not going to keep repeating this lie about Boris 'begging' for an extension. The reality is explained here in the remainers' favourite rag: 

Boris Johnson and Ursula von der Leyen have approved a further month of Brexit negotiations after agreeing that enough progress has been made to justify a last push to reach a deal on trade and security.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/03/johnson-and-von-der-leyen-extend-brexit-talks-by-a-month

I don't think Boris is begging for an extension.  Both sides know that a trade deal needs to be made as the consequences for no deal are catastrophic.  There are different approaches from both sides,  Boris with his bluster and threats and the EU holding a steady line.  Let's see where we end up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

lie about Boris 'begging' for an extension.

I don't suppose "begging".

What for sure is,  he certainly don't want to slam the negotiation door.

Something some hard Brexiters will blame him.

11 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

Looking to a British poll, the other EU member states will not rush to the (exit) door. Better chance to run inside, and be protected by the EU outer border.

Maybe the Northern Irish and Scots want to run in ? Just a more frequent ferry from Belfast, Dublin and Cork, and no need to travel though the UK anymore + quicker in France and by that the entire EU.

Eur social survey member EU.webp 147.56 kB · 1 download

protected by the eu outer border?against what ?  the economic migrant invasion?

Edited by kingdong

33 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

But also a reason is that he has bigger problem by his own voters now ….than only Brexit and need some time-out   ????Hence the 30 days extra are welcome to him ...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/04/conservatives-turn-on-boris-johnson-over-handling-of-uks-covid-19-crisis

Michael Savage
Sun 4 Oct 2020 06.01 BST

Conservatives turn on Boris Johnson over handling of UK’s Covid-19 crisis

As virtual party conference gets under way, Tories rebel on both wings and PM’s popularity plunges to a record low

Boris Johnson’s reputation among Conservative members has plunged to a record low, it has emerged, as the party enters its annual conference facing accusations of a “chumocracy” at the top of government.

With Tory MPs restless over the government’s performance, which has seen it lose a huge poll lead over Labour since the start of the pandemic, the prime minister has recorded his first ever negative satisfaction rating among a survey of Tory members on the ConservativeHome website. He recorded the second-lowest score of any cabinet member, with only education secretary Gavin Williamson performing worse.

The prime minister will attempt to use the virtual party conference this week to try to relaunch his premiership by looking to the programme he wants to pursue beyond the Covid crisis, which has dominated his time in Downing Street.

more...

Edited by david555
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, puipuitom said:

How many members of the House of Lords are elected ? 

For the EU: it is an Union of states, NOT of people, so:

EU council = leaders of EU member states' governments,

EU Commission : each EU member state appoints one member.

EU Parliament: elected by the citizens of the member states. The rest are only governmental officials.

How many bureaucrats in the UK are elected ? According me, ALL are appointed, just as in the EU.

The governor of the bank of England or of Scotland ?

Any UK ambassador or representative anywhere ( UN, UNCTAD, Olympic Committee, FIFA, ... )

The obvious and most important difference between the UK government and bureaucracy and that of the EU, is that by and large the UK's are all British, not a bunch of foreigners. After that nothing else matters much. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Loiner said:

The obvious and most important difference between the UK government and bureaucracy and that of the EU, is that by and large the UK's are all British, not a bunch of foreigners. After that nothing else matters much. 

In the EU "government", it is all from EU member states. No EU citizen, no EU governmental job. That's why all British had to leave 31 Jan 2020.

Bye-the-way: how many Scots, Northern Irish and Welsh have a governmental position in the UK government ? Or also seen as "foreigners "? 

• Like 2