32 Year Old American Man Suffers Severe Head......

libya 115

SOURCE: Pattaya People: April 30th 2007

Speeding Truck Driver injures a Motorcyclist

A speeding truck driver hit a foreign motorcyclist and caused him serious injuries in the morning of 28th April at the junction between Soi Korphai and Bongkot on South Pattaya Road.

The injured foreigner was found to be American Mr. Matt Terald, aged 32.

Witnesses to the crash helped give the foreigner first aid before the Sawang Rescuers arrived to take him to the hospital.

They stated that the truck, license plate no. 83-0897 Chonburi, is a construction company truck. It came at high speed and hit the American traveling on his Honda Wave motorbike at full power, when he was trying to make a turn into Soi Korphai, leaving the man with head wounds, and then sped off without stopping.

The police are now trying to gather more information from witnesses to track down the truck driver and will visit the foreigner at the hospital in case there is any more information.

• 2 weeks later...

******NEWS******UPDATE******

SOURCE: Pattaya Mail: Mailbag section. May 11th Edition.

Must be answered

Editor;

Questions that must be answered! My friend Mr Mathew Terald was involved in a very bad hit and run road accident Saturday 28th April on Pattaya Tai. Sadly, he passed away due to this tragic accident. The circumstances and devastating outcome of all this led me to find out the answers to the following questions:

1. The heartless (man) who hit my friend and left him to die in the road has still not been found. Why, when the weapon he used (i.e. the truck) was located very quickly?

2. There are many hospitals here in Pattaya, so why was my friend not treated at any of them instead of being taken on a long journey to Chonburi? He died in the ambulance on the way.

3. Who made the decision to go to Chonburi as Matt’s injuries were clearly very serious? Could he have been saved if treated here?

4. Did any of the hospitals here refuse to treat him and if so why?

5. Why was even more distress caused to Matt’s family and friends with horrible pictures of him at the scene on cable TV and (a competing channel)? These were still being shown on Monday 30th and after saying he is in hospital getting treatment when in fact he passed away on Saturday.

6. Why does a life appear so cheap here in Thailand? This type of tragedy should not happen in any civilised society, so why is there so much carnage here in Pattaya?

The US embassy is involved but I myself, along with the rest of Matt’s friends would be very grateful if anyone can shed any light on the questions I have raised regarding this tragic incident and I am calling on the Pattaya Mail group to try and help if possible.

Matt was a teacher at Best School here in Pattaya, a quiet man who did not smoke or drink. He was well liked by all his work colleagues and students. He will be sadly missed.

May he rest in peace.

Jon Baxter (JB)

i would have expected the press to have given this story and the questions raised both in the letter and elsewhere some column inches of its own rather than just print a letter from a colleague.

this story deserves wide exposure and some investigation.

******NEWS******UPDATE******

SOURCE: Pattaya Mail: Friday 18th May 2007 Edition: Mailbag

Where is the care?

Editor:

On Saturday, April 28, 2007 my friend and former colleague 32 year-old Matt Gerald Hayes was struck by a truck as he rode his motorcycle in South Pattaya-a case of hit and run.

Volunteer ambulance workers arrived on the scene quickly and took Matt to a well known, state-of-the-arts hospital in North Pattaya on Sukumvit Road.

Upon arrival at this well advertised hospital Matt was denied treatment because it could not be ascertained that he would be able to pay his hospital bill! (he could) The volunteer ambulance men were told by staff at the hospital to take Matt to Chonburi-an hour away. On route, Matt died.

He will be greatly missed by his friends, fellow teachers, family and the children he taught at BEST school.

There are two questions that plague me;

1.Why was Matt denied proper treatment that could have saved his young life at this “renowned” hospital?

2. Where does the Hippocratic Oath come into play with this distinguished medical establishment?

If this is how legally employed foreigners are being treated by this hospital, then this hospital’s services should be boycotted.

Answers to the questions and comments are awaited.

Yours truly,

Steve Kessler