Makro Online - Experience? Worth it?

Hamus Yaigh

I tried to buy some products using the Makro web site on a PC, prices looked good, they only accepted minimum order of 1000THB which is OK, but when I tried to check out it will not proceed until I provide a 13 digit tax code? I'm retired so don't have a tax code.

Q1. Why is this, and why cannot I shop like Lazada or Shopee who don't need this tax info?

Q2. Has anyone here experienced using Makro online in this way, what are delivery times like and where do you get the tax code from or is there a way to bypass this step, I couldn't see it?

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I never bought anything in the Makro online shop, so this is just a guess:

Is there somewhere a checkbox which asks you what kind of customer you are? (Or maybe you can set this somewhere in your account settings) You might have selected that you are a business customer, and then it's asking for your tax info to create a proper invoice for your vat return.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

Anyway, I don't know what happened(!?!) but when I went to log on the site today (makroclick.com) today with my login the tax ID part seems to have been bypassed

Yeah, I've used it and had no problem about the tax ID. Been awhile so I don't remember how I got around it, if I'd needed to.

Service is good 'nuff but not as good as Tesco's, which is a bit more comparable. Driver had a hard time finding my place and just stopped the truck on the street and handed me my stuff, so I had bring a big bag and luggage cart. Tesco will deliver right to your door and also seems have greater care about refrigeration for items that need it.

I'd use them again but I'm not terribly excited at the prospect. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/5/2020 at 10:47 AM, Hamus Yaigh said:

Ah OK, so the ID card code is same as a Thai ID code I suppose?

Anyway, I don't know what happened(!?!) but when I went to log on the site today (makroclick.com) today with my login the tax ID part seems to have been bypassed and accepted as incomplete, but the site now allows me to pay, something I wasn't seeing yesterday. It says delivery is within 2 days.

It looks like a good alternative to Shopee as prices are the same or less if buying over 1000THB worth and the range of products include some things I cannot find on Shopee.  Worth a try for anyone interested.

Cheers,

Who buys food at Shopee or Lazada where the prices are higher than in physical stores? Why don't you try Tesco Lotus Online or/and Big C Online? The delivery fee is only 60 and no minimum purchase price. At Makro they have at the moment a 3 months delivery promotion. Only 60 baht instead of 299 baht from October 1 - December 31.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Makro is wholesale, not a retailer. You also need a Makro-card to shop in a physical shop, at least where I live...????

In BKK they also used to ask for a membership, but they don't do that anymore and everyone is welcome to shop.  (Membership is needed if you want official tax receipts I think.)

When I started shopping there a few years ago, you could ask for a one time pass if you show a foreign passport (which you could get every time you go to the store, so not really one time!) but they've done away with even that requirement.

Perhaps only a matter of time until they stop requiring one where you are too!

Since CP took over, Makro went into a direct competition with all retailers like Tesco Lotus, Big C etc.  Makro is, originally, Dutch and a worldwide operating wholesale operator. 

This implies that all customers are "professional" retailers like hotels, restaurants, caterers and smaller retail shop which explains the necessity to buy industrial sized packagings (shampoo sold in shrink-wrapped units of 3 or 6 bottles etc.). 

As far as licensing is concerned I would assume, that Makro has a different kind of business license compared to all other supermarkets, i.e. it might stipulate wholesale only. This, in turn, would explain, that still today customers need a tax ID and if an individual arrives today, the cashier staff scans off a "day pass" kind of code. 

For a professional buyer I can tell you, that this individual retailing customers are a hinderance in the stores as they either start to rip open sales packagings, pick fruit and seafood very unprofessionally (no gloves, throwing fruit they dont want back into crates and hence damaging the fruit) or loading a trolley. Until four years ago, when I sold my restaurant (good luck for that) I sank lots of money into Makro, had all the bar code tags turned upwards so the cashier could get through with billing as fast as possible but today I see, the longer the more, private individuals clogging this wholesaler .......... 

I have been using Makro Click for the past 6 months, absolutely amazing. You will be linked to your nearest store and will only show items that they carry. My local is Nakom Phanom, it does not carry so many western foods. However if I find food from another store, I ask them to order for me. The order is usually in store in a few days and they let me know when it arrives. I talk to then on Line and usually get a reply in minutes. The staff at my local store are really good. The good thing is that I can also pay by credit card.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Since CP took over, Makro went into a direct competition with all retailers like Tesco Lotus, Big C etc.  Makro is, originally, Dutch and a worldwide operating wholesale operator. 

This implies that all customers are "professional" retailers like hotels, restaurants, caterers and smaller retail shop which explains the necessity to buy industrial sized packagings (shampoo sold in shrink-wrapped units of 3 or 6 bottles etc.). 

As far as licensing is concerned I would assume, that Makro has a different kind of business license compared to all other supermarkets, i.e. it might stipulate wholesale only. This, in turn, would explain, that still today customers need a tax ID and if an individual arrives today, the cashier staff scans off a "day pass" kind of code. 

For a professional buyer I can tell you, that this individual retailing customers are a hinderance in the stores as they either start to rip open sales packagings, pick fruit and seafood very unprofessionally (no gloves, throwing fruit they dont want back into crates and hence damaging the fruit) or loading a trolley. Until four years ago, when I sold my restaurant (good luck for that) I sank lots of money into Makro, had all the bar code tags turned upwards so the cashier could get through with billing as fast as possible but today I see, the longer the more, private individuals clogging this wholesaler .......... 

Not really much of a wholesaler these days.  For anyone familiar, they are more like Sam's Club or Costco the US (and parts of Asia) or Metro (in China).

Oh, and CP now owns Tesco now too, so same company. 

• Like 1