Thai economy expected to contract in 2020, but will recover next year

snoop1130

8 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

The Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, or OECD, has published its assessment of the Thai economy, saying that the pandemic has interrupted Thailand’s socioeconomic progress.

really ! shocker , ya think ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

As predicted by TAT

195 Trillion visitors in 2021, each spending 256 Million baht.

Wow , you couldn't  make that one up , sure.

Lady Bar , and cleaner , cashier . 

Happy so much ,  sure..

3 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Like how is the THB even being able to still be this strong in the first place... Recovery next year in their dreams.

My first theory is the Thai government has a very tight fiscal policy - choosing not to bail out its citizens as they are doing in many Western Nations - printing money like it's water... billions and trillions of dollars. Instead the PM begs the nation's wealthy to help him out. While in other nations the unemployed are queuing up for government cash handouts, the hard done by in Thailand grovel on the streets for free food, reducing them to not much more than hungry soi dogs.

End result, the Thai baht will not be diluted by money printing (aka quantitative easing), and hold its value and increase in value as the money printing destroys other currencies. The only way to lower its value if the high value affects exporting profits too much is for a government devaluation.

Anyway, that's my theory. I would be happy to hear others.

• Like 1

Excuse me for thinking factors outside LOS may have some small measure on the level of exports.  The reality is things will get worse before they get better.  I am pretty sure an upside down bell curve would be most likely to show the downward and later upward trend.  Only a miracle woulds see a big improvement in year 2021. 

Edited by Grumpy John
Phone screWup!
  • Like 1

Thailand was faltering before the pandemic, and the quality of education continues to worsen.

It will get better, but it will not recover to where it was, and will continue its decline as it had before.  Without deep-seated changes, Thailand's success story will be in the history books.

• Like 1

Can Thailand’s exporters get government help to combat the high Baht?  I doubt it.  Can they convert to manufacturing products for domestic use?  Maybe, but could be costly to convert.  Feel sorry for the factory workers.