Plot to kidnap Michigan governor thwarted; 13 arrested, officials say

webfact

7 hours ago, Opl said:

it's amazing these guys support Trump, just like you do 

Now a 2nd member of this right wing supremacist group turns out not to be as presented initially. Not many right wing Trump supporters march with BLM - who I consider an extreme left wing group. Right wing white supremacists just do not believe they should kneel to apologize for the sins of their fathers centuries ago. 

“One of alleged plotters, 23-year-old Daniel Harris, attended a Black Lives Matter protest in June, telling the Oakland County Times he was upset about the killing of George Floyd and police violence.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/kidnap-plot-whitmer-fox-militia/2020/10/09/ce81751a-0a65-11eb-9be6-cf25fb429f1a_story.html

Can we start to consider this group as plain anarchists/anti-government activists, not aligned to the right or left per se, and stop conspiracy theories spreading? Conspiracy theories such as this little gem from ex MSNBC anchor Keith Olbermann, with no evidence, are very dangerous in such polarized times-

"In a 14-minute tirade, the ex-MSNBC anchor argued the FBI should identify Trump as an “unindicted co-conspirator” of the plot by members and associates of an anti-government militia to abduct Democratic Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer. "

https://www.foxnews.com/media/keith-olbermann-amy-coney-barrett-trump-prosecuted-removed-society

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/9/2020 at 5:56 AM, simple1 said:

The arrested, among other charges, are accused of planning acts of terrorism, Have Dems articulated support / tolerance for domestic terrorism or indeed any acts of violence? Disagreements on policy how to address violence, but not tolerance or support for violence.

I wonder how the Trump supporters spin this, they throw a hissy fit when antifada does something but now its like white supremist. I don't see the usual suspects like topdeadcenter post yet.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, robblok said:

I wonder how the Trump supporters spin this, they throw a hissy fit when antifada does something but now its like white supremist. I don't see the usual suspects like topdeadcenter post yet.

Take a look at posts in this topic

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikebike said:

Last year... plz try to stay up-to-date...

a majority of Michigan voters approve of Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s job performance and handling of the coronavirus pandemic, according to a Detroit News-WDIV-TV poll.

The first-term Democratic governor's approval rating has risen more than 15 percentage points from January.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2020/09/09/michigan-voters-approve-gretchen-whitmer-handling-pandemic-poll-finds/5750849002/

Looks like you are a bit confused, Squire.

The woman I was referring to as being rejected by her very own Democrat voters was Kamala Harris.

Maybe you did not read the thread attentively?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Phoenix Rising said:

And it looks like you just can't get out of your hysterical anti-Harris fit:

"...those clear-sighted Democrat voters saw something extremely ugly in this woman..."

Really? Those who did not vote for her all saw something extremely ugly? Or was that just pulled out of a dam and dark place? So all those who did not vote for trump (the majority) all saw something extremely stupid and ugly in him? Well, at least that's plausible.

Here's a mind that wanders all over the place, spraying little ad hominem squibs.

Let me ask you a kindergarten question:  to what do you attribute the plunge in Primary support for Harris, from about a high of 18% (may have been higher) to a low of 4% in November. At which point she threw in the towel.

Just a simple question, with no need to dig for "dark" answers.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, The Barmbeker said:
19 hours ago, Kelsall said:

It's amazing that people actually think this was Trump's fault!  ????

Noone is saying it was his fault!

No one? Dangerous to talk in absolutes. At least one person associated with a "credible source" has gone on record to said it was his fault.

"In a 14-minute tirade, the ex-MSNBC anchor argued the FBI should identify Trump as an “unindicted co-conspirator” of the plot by members and associates of an anti-government militia to abduct Democratic Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer. "

https://www.foxnews.com/media/keith-olbermann-amy-coney-barrett-trump-prosecuted-removed-society

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, blazes said:

Here's a mind that wanders all over the place, spraying little ad hominem squibs.

Let me ask you a kindergarten question:  to what do you attribute the plunge in Primary support for Harris, from about a high of 18% (may have been higher) to a low of 4% in November. At which point she threw in the towel.

You don’t seem to understand that the Primaries selects the front running candidate for President and the selected Presidential candidate selects the candidate for VP.

Democrat voters in the primaries understood in today’s US, the candidate most likely to defeat a white male incumbent is a white male challenger.

Understanding that a woman of color is not going to unseat an incumbent white male President is a political reality the Democrat voters understand and you apparently don’t.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You don’t seem to understand that the Primaries selects the front running candidate for President and the selected Presidential candidate selects the candidate for VP.

Democrat voters in the primaries understood in today’s US, the candidate most likely to defeat a white male incumbent is a white male challenger.

Understanding that a woman of color is not going to unseat an incumbent white male President is a political reality the Democrat voters understand and you apparently don’t.

Thanks for stating the bleedin' obvious.  No misunderstanding whatsoever.

So, by your "logic", if Harris had in fact won the Primaries ( as she briefly threatened to do after her "little girl at the back of the bus" attack on Joe) then the Democrat National Convention would have said, "sorry, Ms Harris, you are not capable of beating a white male, so go take a jump.

Patently that is ludicrous.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, blazes said:

So, by your "logic", if Harris had in fact won the Primaries ( as she briefly threatened to do after her "little girl at the back of the bus" attack on Joe) then the Democrat National Convention would have said, "sorry, Ms Harris, you are not capable of beating a white male, so go take a jump.

The bigger picture - the DNC picks whoever they want. I was one of the original litigants in the lawsuit against the DNC in 2016. Their primary defense was since they are NOT an official government group, they can pick whoever they want and that means the person most liked by Big Pharma and corporations. Harris was never going to get the nod from the DNC.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, blazes said:

Yes I agree, that is a ‘Pretty Ludicrous’ take on my comment.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, J Town said:

The bigger picture - the DNC picks whoever they want. I was one of the original litigants in the lawsuit against the DNC in 2016. Their primary defense was since they are NOT an official government group, they can pick whoever they want and that means the person most liked by Big Pharma and corporations. Harris was never going to get the nod from the DNC.

they can pick whoever they want and that means the person most liked by Big Pharma and corporations.”

You need to listen to Biden on the matter of his tax plans rather than posting pre-canned nonsense.

Incidentally, how did your lawsuit go?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Personally I'd like to re-run the Democratic primaries with none of the over-70 candidates.  But that's not an option.

The Democratic primaries in 2020, like the Republican primaries in 2016, illustrate the problems with a winner takes all election system when the vote is divided many ways:  When the sane vote is divided six ways and the lunatic vote divided one or two ways, the lunatic vote wins.

The US desperately needs a Ranked Choice voting system.  https://ballotpedia.org/Ranked-choice_voting_(RCV)

Instead of the candidate with the largest minority of support, it lets the candidate who is considered the best compromise win.  It keeps out the loonies with dedicated minority supporters.

I suspect a lot of other countries could benefit from this, but the current topic is the US and the less than optimal situation we're in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

they can pick whoever they want and that means the person most liked by Big Pharma and corporations.”

You need to listen to Biden on the matter of his tax plans rather than posting pre-canned nonsense.

Incidentally, how did your lawsuit go?

The attorney was in fear for her life. 

https://observer.com/2017/08/court-admits-dnc-and-debbie-wasserman-schulz-rigged-primaries-against-sanders/

‘You’re entitled to your own opinion, you’re not entitled to your own facts’

Edited by J Town
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, blazes said:

Looks like you are a bit confused, Squire.

The woman I was referring to as being rejected by her very own Democrat voters was Kamala Harris.

Maybe you did not read the thread attentively?

They preferred biden. Does not mean she was rejected outright.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, blazes said:

Let me guess, the voters saw something extremely ugly, just like with trump?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, blazes said:

Speaking of polls, look at the biden/harris polls, looking quite good.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1