Proof of being a Thai resident?

Hi

During 2020 I've spent more than 180 days in Thailand which I've read makes me a Thai resident for tax purposes. I'm married to a Thai women and I plan on staying in Thailand for the foreseeable future through marriage extensions. I'm no longer a resident of the country where I'm a citizen (EU) since a few years back and I hope to pay taxes on all my global income here in Thailand. I receive my income from a US company but I'm not a US resident either. 

In case needed, I hope to get some kind of proof that I'm now a Thai (tax) resident and that I should be paying my income taxes here in Thailand. But, what could that proof/supporting document be? I haven't filed my first tax return in Thailand yet and I do not have a Permanent Residence Permit for Thailand. Are there any supporting documents that I could get from any Thai government agency? 

Thank you. 

Hope someone can confirm but if you live in Thailand using last years/old income/savings and not transfer Thailand this year income you do not have to proof anything to Thailand with this setup. So no tax owed to Thailand even if you live in Thailand, right ?

This was about passive income only,, If you work online actively to create income, then you should technically have work permit to do so legally even if your work is not Thailand related at all,,

Edited by thaitero

11 hours ago, Hansen88a said:

During 2020 I've spent more than 180 days in Thailand which I've read makes me a Thai resident for tax purposes.

Thai residency for taxation purposes does not automatically result in your paying tax on your non-Thai-derived income here in Thailand. Since your income was derived in the USA this will be dependent on the terms of the current double taxation agreement between Thailand and the USA. Just as the double taxation agreement between Thailand and your home country would have been relevant in the case of any income derived there. In other words, the fact that you are no longer tax-resident in either the USA or your home country doesn't really come into it.

Details of the countries with whom Thailand has double taxation agreements are included in the link below:-

https://www.rd.go.th/publish/766.0.html

12 hours ago, Hansen88a said:

I receive my income from a US company but I'm not a US resident either. 

But are you a US citizen?  If so Uncle Sam still wants your money, even if it is earned outside of the USA.  However income earned from outside the US you can claim an exemption for around the first 100,000 or so(don't know the exact number but it is over 100K now).  But if you are getting paid from inside the US even though you live outside of it you will not qualify for the exemption.

15 hours ago, Hansen88a said:

In case needed, I hope to get some kind of proof that I'm now a Thai (tax) resident and that I should be paying my income taxes here in Thailand. But, what could that proof/supporting document be? I haven't filed my first tax return in Thailand yet and I do not have a Permanent Residence Permit for Thailand. Are there any supporting documents that I could get from any Thai government agency? 

You need to obtain a Thai tax ID

https://www.globalfromasia.com/thailand-tax-id/

https://www.wikiprocedure.com/index.php/Thailand_-_Obtain_Tax_Identification_Number_(TIN)_and_TIN_Card

Edited by maqui

3 hours ago, rwill said:

But are you a US citizen?  If so Uncle Sam still wants your money, even if it is earned outside of the USA.  However income earned from outside the US you can claim an exemption for around the first 100,000 or so(don't know the exact number but it is over 100K now).  But if you are getting paid from inside the US even though you live outside of it you will not qualify for the exemption.

I'm not a US citizen nor a US resident. I just work for a US company and receive my pay from them. 

Only one time my whereabouts was requested. Sent a copy of Passport pages showing my date of entrance and no exits during the time period in question. On my US tax return I list my residentence address and have not been questioned. Yes, some difference I am retired and so no earned income.

14 minutes ago, Hansen88a said:

I'm not a US citizen nor a US resident. I just work for a US company and receive my pay from them. 

There's no country called EU, and you're not a Permanent Resident and probably never will be. It doesn't mean what you think. But maybe you could start with getting a Tax Identification Number (TIN) at the Revenue Department Office in your sub-district. It's free and quite easy to apply for.