Insurance min $100.000. Imagine how stupid that sounds !

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can also get the covid 19 insurance from a Thai insurance company. See: https://covid19.tgia.org/

Thanks for the info. But i have already insurance better than the thai company offers. The problem is just that no insuranve company will write "coverage minimum $100000". 

The logic is just wrong. It can be missunderstood as i wrote above that insurance company would not cover your bill if it is lower than $100000

I hope you understand what i mean.

Edited by alianware
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, alianware said:

The problem is just that no insuranve company will write "coverage minimum $100000". 

In your first post there are pictures of letters of two German insurance policies, both stating minimum coverage 100k USD, so what exactly is the problem?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, alianware said:

Thanks for the info. But i have already insurance better than the thai company offers. The problem is just that no insuranve company will write "coverage minimum $100000". 

The logic is just wrong. It can be missunderstood as i wrote above that insurance company would not cover your bill if it is lower than $100000

Does the consulate actually enforce that requirement.

I have looked at on a embassy website and it has the same minimum wording for the $100k insurance. I don't recall any reports of others having a problem with using their insurance.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, alianware said:

I hope you understand what i mean.

Your thread started with complaints about the $100,000 minimum coverage based on what they said in a Thai consulate in München, Germany. That's just one consulate. 

Edited by Max69xl

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can also get the covid 19 insurance from a Thai insurance company. See: https://covid19.tgia.org/

Sadly not if you are over 75 but some overseas companies provide that but are not acceptable by the Thai Government as far as I am aware. Sorry that only applies to health insurance not to covid19 insurance. I should have checked your statement before replying sorry Ubon Joe.

Edited by JusticeGB
I was wrong in my original reply

9 hours ago, jackdd said:

In your first post there are pictures of letters of two German insurance policies, both stating minimum coverage 100k USD, so what exactly is the problem?

Also we dont see the communication that generated this. 

It is possible the person supplied documents without showing the maximum cover, then on request to the insurer got the clarification of maximum cover of 7.5 million, exceeding the minimum 100k required. 

Having been helping a few older people posting on the farang stuck outside Thailand facebook group with COE requirements its clear you can not underestimate the incompetence involved. One guy who was frustrated at how the embassy kept refusing his valid document uploads, when he sent me the same docs, they were a blurry photos taken in poor light with a cellphone, then displayed on another device and captured again as a screen grab, in low resolution.. Totally unreadable and just some blurred grey text lines. When I kind of point that out it turns out hes then telling his Thai wife to do it, and she doesnt have a computer.. Yet this is 'thailands bad system' at fault !!! 

Just as an example my insurance just says "Overseas emergency medical insurance limit: £10,000,000" and accepted without any question.

9 hours ago, jackdd said:

The problem i believe that it has to state covid-19 with a minimum.......... in the text as well. even though the policy says it covers everything, i'm having the same issue. pedantic to say the least 

Edited by howerde

5 minutes ago, howerde said:

The thai logic is just wrong. No insurance companies will write "minimum coverage $100000".  Consumers who buy this insurance with such policy will think that the company will only cover the cost if your hospital bill is min. $100000 . Will you accept that ?  That would be insane.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, alianware said:

The thai logic is just wrong. No insurance companies will write "minimum coverage $100000".  Consumers who buy this insurance with such policy will think that the company will only cover the cost if your hospital bill is min. $100000 . Will you accept that ?  That would be insane.

You dont see what generated those letter though or what they uploaded first time to be told to reupload it correct. 

Believe me, theres an awful lot of really angry retiree farangs who are howling that thais are idiots, but you actually look at what they have presented and and they have uploaded a re-entry permit for a visa, an insurance agents email about cover not the policy document, etc etc.. Old guys and digital applications !! 

I did mine and it was near instant with a response within an hour each time after upload. all perfect first go. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, howerde said:

The problem i believe that it has to state covid-19 with a minimum.......... in the text as well. even though the policy says it covers everything, i'm having the same issue. pedantic to say the least 

That's what the two policies from German insurance companies which are shown in the first post state.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jackdd said:

That's what the two policies from German insurance companies which are shown in the first post state.

But it doesnt.. Mine didnt.. you only have the posters word on that was why it was rejected and I am seeing a huge amount of barely functional retirees who dont know what they are being asked for, dont upload what they are asked for, upload docs that are illegible or low resolution, and then howl that theres something wrong with Thais when the obviously useless document is rejected as not being readable or right. 

My policy just says "Overseas emergency medical insurance limit: £10,000,000" and was accepted first time. 

You only know the document they tried was rejected, not really why it was rejected, you only have thier assumption or word on that. 

One of the rejections is a standard format error saying 'please upload an insurance document showing a minimum of 100k cover' that error is sent to everyone who doesnt upload the right doc, in the right place, or its not readable, or its any one of many reasons of not being passed. when someones too technically dumb to get that upload right, thats the error they get, then they read the error and say 'hey its missing the word minimum' when he may have uploaded his shopping list for all we know. When this happens its always the 'stupid Thais' fault !!

Like I said I have been helping people reformat docs, and they are clueless.. I am on a marriage visa.. ok send it to me... gets a re-entry permit.. no please the visa.. gets a retirement extension of stay.. Thats not a marriage visa.. yes it is I am married.. etc etc etc.. 

Edited by LivinLOS
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

You dont see what generated those letter though or what they uploaded first time to be told to reupload it correct. 

Believe me, theres an awful lot of really angry retiree farangs who are howling that thais are idiots, but you actually look at what they have presented and and they have uploaded a re-entry permit for a visa, an insurance agents email about cover not the policy document, etc etc.. Old guys and digital applications !! 

I did mine and it was near instant with a response within an hour each time after upload. all perfect first go. 

THey have to presented clear and right but not half half for such important issue.

Even if your insurance cover up to $10.000.000, the requirement of thai GOv. is just still wrong. The full similar sentence of the policy might be correct that the insurance will cover the whole cost, but no insurance companies will write as it is required by thai goverment at the moment. 

It is not only bad for consumer but also bad for insurance.  If its written "minimum coverage $100000" , it can be also used to fraud the insurance.

6 minutes ago, alianware said:

THey have to presented clear and right but not half half for such important issue.

Even if your insurance cover up to $10.000.000, the requirement of thai GOv. is just still wrong. The full similar sentence of the policy might be correct that the insurance will cover the whole cost, but no insurance companies will write as it is required by thai goverment at the moment. 

It is not only bad for consumer but also bad for insurance.  If its written "minimum coverage $100000" , it can be also used to fraud the insurance.

But you are not showing anyone but the poster claiming that is the reason.. The post in the OP 'says' thats what they were told, presenting no proof that this was the actual reason why it was rejected.

Believe me when I say the guys telling you what they were told, half the time have totally miss understood some aspect of it, not provided the 'proof' they say they have, or done so in a way that was entirely unreadable. 

From what I have seen so far every single person rejected, failed to comply with what was being asked of them, not Thais doing something stupid. even the thread title is making that assumption without supplying any proof of it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alianware said:

i think most consumers understand the concept of maximum coverage.  insurance pays expenses (minus deductible) up to a certain amount.

they may for example purchase a policy with maximum cover of 50k or 75k or 100k or 200k or 500k.

the requirement is minimum cover 100k.  policy must cover at least this much.  they don't care if it covers more than that.

can you guess which of the above policies meet the requirement?

5 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

i think most consumers understand the concept of maximum coverage.  insurance pays expenses (minus deductible) up to a certain amount.

they may for example purchase a policy with maximum cover of 50k or 75k or 100k or 200k or 500k.

the requirement is minimum cover 100k.  policy must cover at least this much.  they don't care if it covers more than that.

can you guess which of the above policies meet the requirement?

Hes claiming the policy was rejected, while being 'over' due to not having the words 'minimum' on the cover. 

I strongly doubt that this was the reason for the rejection, its simply the standard rejection error the system makes when the insurance uploaded isnt clear, correct, in the right place, in the right format, showing COVID cover, etc. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Your thread started with complaints about the $100,000 minimum coverage based on what they said in a Thai consulate in München, Germany. That's just one consulate. 

And therein lies many of the problems with Thai immigration and consulates. There appears to be too much leeway with regard to HOw they interpret things. Surely it is possible for the Thai government to write a set of rukes that EVERY consulate and immigration department must follow TO THE LETTER, not interpret however they choose? Over and over again we are seeing people post on this site how one immigration office requires paperwork or some factor that is not required elsewhere. Since all immigration offices are part of the one entity it is high time they began behaving as such and formalised exactly what is needed for each visa, extension or whatever. The same with the consulates. Every consulate should have a set of RULE (not guidelines") that they must adhere to. That way no matter where in the world you are you know exactly what is required when you go to a Thai embassy to apply for a visa.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If your current foreign/international health-insurance or your travel-insurance does not meet the covid-19 coverage of at least 100.000 US $, it is worth looking for a foreign insurance policy that does cover it.  The Thai TGIA insurance < https://covid19.tgia.org/ > is ridiculously expensive for the single coverage of covid-19 it provides.  The only advantage I see in that Thai policy is that you can subscribe to it till 99 years of age (and there is NO difference in premium per age-category which is of course ridiculous again from an insurance perspective).

When under 70 years of age, e.g. the SafetyWing travel-insurance policy < https://safetywing.com/nomad-insurance > will provide accident/illness cover of 250.000 US $ (including covid-19 coverage).  And that FULL travel-insurance policy sells at at premium of 40 to 130 US $ per month depending on your age, which is LOWER than the limited covid-19 only Thai insurance premium.

Two additional points of relevance:

> When applying for the COE, you will need to show evidence that the insurance covers the length of your intended stay in Thailand.  So it might be useful to check with the Thai Embassy/Consulate whether they would accept a confirmed outward bound flight-ticket 1 month after your arrival, and if so buy a cheap throw-away ticket to limit the period of coverage of the mandatory covid-19 insurance.

Note: An additional advantage of the SafetyWing insurance is that it is payable in 4-weeks terms and can be cancelled anytime.

> If you are concerned about ACTUAL coverage of covid-19 hospitalization be aware that the PacificCross Thai health-insurance policies only cover you after having been 15 days in Thailand.  Being tested positive on arrival thus means that you are NOT covered for the hospitalization costs.  A nice surprise...

On 10/10/2020 at 9:09 AM, jackdd said:

well spotted jackdd. The OP obviously hasn't read the 2 examples very closely.

On 10/10/2020 at 4:09 AM, jackdd said:

20 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

well spotted jackdd. The OP obviously hasn't read the 2 examples very closely.

Sorry, the OP was exactly right and it is indeed absolutely ridiculous.  These are example policies that the Royal Thai Consulate in Munich provided to him of 'how they want it'.

Note: There is also another post of someone confronted with the same stupidity from his Thai Embassy/Consulate, but he asked his insurer to add the minimum 100.000 US $ wording in his policy which his insurer did, and on presenting that amended policy the Thai Embassy was satisfied.

This is semantics.

They are talking about "coverage". This means they will 'cover' any bills up to $100,000. 

In this case both 'mininum' and 'maximum' coverage mean the policy meets Thai requirements. Minimum would mean they MAY cover bills beyond $100,000; Maximum means they won't. 

At any rate it's a ridiculously high cost and probably only meant to fleece well-heeled visitors who can afford it and discourage those who aren't from coming here. It's just a money filter to screen visitors. 

Edited by RocketDog
Spelling
  • Like 1