Insurance min $100.000. Imagine how stupid that sounds !

16 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

But it doesnt.. Mine didnt.. you only have the posters word on that was why it was rejected and I am seeing a huge amount of barely functional retirees who dont know what they are being asked for, dont upload what they are asked for, upload docs that are illegible or low resolution, and then howl that theres something wrong with Thais when the obviously useless document is rejected as not being readable or right. 

My policy just says "Overseas emergency medical insurance limit: £10,000,000" and was accepted first time. 

You only know the document they tried was rejected, not really why it was rejected, you only have thier assumption or word on that. 

One of the rejections is a standard format error saying 'please upload an insurance document showing a minimum of 100k cover' that error is sent to everyone who doesnt upload the right doc, in the right place, or its not readable, or its any one of many reasons of not being passed. when someones too technically dumb to get that upload right, thats the error they get, then they read the error and say 'hey its missing the word minimum' when he may have uploaded his shopping list for all we know. When this happens its always the 'stupid Thais' fault !!

Like I said I have been helping people reformat docs, and they are clueless.. I am on a marriage visa.. ok send it to me... gets a re-entry permit.. no please the visa.. gets a retirement extension of stay.. Thats not a marriage visa.. yes it is I am married.. etc etc etc.. 

People don't need to have an extension based on marriage to get a CoE. If on a Non-immigrant O extension based on retirement, they need to show the marriage certificate. That's what counts. Maybe you should be more precise when you ask people to give you the correct documents. 

2 hours ago, RocketDog said:

This is semantics.

They are talking about "coverage". This means they will 'cover' any bills up to $100,000. 

In this case both 'mininum' and 'maximum' coverage mean the policy meets Thai requirements. Minimum would mean they MAY cover bills beyond $100,000; Maximum means they won't. 

At any rate it's a ridiculously high cost and probably only meant to fleece well-heeled visitors who can afford it and discourage those who aren't from coming here. It's just a money filter to screen visitors. 

The minimum coverage of $100,000 is quite low if you check a proper travel insurance from a European insurance company. They normally cover more than that and should not filter out visitors. I agree it's a lot of money if you convert it to baht,though. But when about 37% of UK tourists don't have any kind of insurance when travelling abroad, and when coming here, they go to Phuket where the hospital bills get ridiculously high, I guess you might understand why the Thai government requires a proper insurance. 

On 10/11/2020 at 3:42 AM, Peter Denis said:

Sorry, the OP was exactly right and it is indeed absolutely ridiculous.  These are example policies that the Royal Thai Consulate in Munich provided to him of 'how they want it'.

Note: There is also another post of someone confronted with the same stupidity from his Thai Embassy/Consulate, but he asked his insurer to add the minimum 100.000 US $ wording in his policy which his insurer did, and on presenting that amended policy the Thai Embassy was satisfied.

But you only have the OPs word for it !! It may have been he sent a policy document which wasnt explicitly clear on COVID cover and they replied with those posted documents saying 'it has to state a minimum of this much covid cover, like this' intending emphasis on covid cover not the word minimum etc. 

Some guys are uploading absolutely junk docs, like I say I helped a guy (coe issued this morning !!) and the scans he was uploading were fuzzy mobile phone pics, then sent to another device, then screen shot'ed, then sent on (with all the phone / battery / notification etc visible) and were just grey fuzzy lines on a page on a low res image, totally not legible.. All of which uploaded by en older Thai wife, who had no computer, and had put docs in the wrong places and categorys in the system !! The reply to that would be 'please upload an insurance document showing a minimum of 100k covid cover' and that has NOTHING to do with the 'minimum' issue and everything to do with user error. Baffled old farang then looks at his paper document, which shows cover, and ASSUMES its the word mininum. Second outraged farang read his incorrect assumption comes on here accusing Thais of stupidity, and the cycle perpetuates. 

On 10/11/2020 at 6:11 AM, Max69xl said:

People don't need to have an extension based on marriage to get a CoE. If on a Non-immigrant O extension based on retirement, they need to show the marriage certificate. That's what counts. Maybe you should be more precise when you ask people to give you the correct documents. 

In that case it was possible to use his retirement extension, but the point is he has no clue what was a visa, what was a reentry permit, what was an extension of stay, what class his extension of stay was granted under.. 

And yet this is the kind of person who is accusing the Thai embassy of being stupid and not accepting his 'correct' documents. When they demonstrate so little understanding of basic fundamental aspects of what they are being asked to show and demonstrate, how can you trust thier assumptions on what errors and rejections actually mean also. 

On 10/11/2020 at 7:35 AM, connda said:

I could have swore I read that the insurance requirement was dropped to 400,000/40,000. 

That is what is needed to qualify for an OA and OX visa (STV ??? ) at any time not just now.

Then currently to qualify for a COE you also need 100k USD of covid cover. 

On 10/11/2020 at 4:11 AM, RocketDog said:

At any rate it's a ridiculously high cost and probably only meant to fleece well-heeled visitors who can afford it and discourage those who aren't from coming here. It's just a money filter to screen visitors. 

6.99 GBP per month is too rich for you ?? 

Thats 300b a month !! 

13 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Second outraged farang read his incorrect assumption comes on here accusing Thais of stupidity, and the cycle perpetuates. 

I am not taking one word back from what I wrote.  Thai Embassy personnel insisting that the foreign/international insurance policy covering covid-19, should contain the wording 'minimum 100.000 US $' is pure stupidity.

Just now, Peter Denis said:

I am not taking one word back from what I wrote.  Thai Embassy personnel insisting that the foreign/international insurance policy covering covid-19, should contain the wording 'minimum 100.000 US $' is pure stupidity.

Do you understand that maybe the examples they were giving him, was due to him not uploading legible documents, or documents that explicitly included ANY covid cover ?? and that this is a standard reply to request that clarity. 

Do you understand that possibility ?? 

6 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Do you understand that maybe the examples they were giving him, was due to him not uploading legible documents, or documents that explicitly included ANY covid cover ?? and that this is a standard reply to request that clarity. 

Do you understand that possibility ?? 

I suggest you go take your meds now...

2 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

I suggest you go take your meds now...

So is that a yes or no.. 

Yes you do understand that this is at least possible.. In which case it would be a farang mistake not stupid Thais ?? 

Or no, you dont understand that it is even possible for any farang to make any mistake with providing incorrect documents. 

2 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

6.99 GBP per month is too rich for you ?? 

Thats 300b a month !! 

I already have Thai insurance with Pacific Cross. It's ridiculous to require a second policy just for Covid and the $100,000 coverage is ludicrous. My coverage with PC  costs me 55,000฿/yr already. 

I maintain it's just a wealth tax. But I'm quite happy for you to buy it for yourself. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RocketDog said:

I already have Thai insurance with Pacific Cross. It's ridiculous to require a second policy just for Covid and the $100,000 coverage is ludicrous. My coverage with PC  costs me 55,000฿/yr already. 

I maintain it's just a wealth tax. But I'm quite happy for you to buy it for yourself. 

55k a year and its not covering 3.5 million ?? 

On 10/13/2020 at 11:47 AM, Sheryl said:

It does not have to be a second policy, if your main policy includes COVID and has cover up to $100,000 then it will serve for both

But if you opted for lowest level cover then yes, you'll need a second policy

Thanks for clarifying as it was ambiguous as usual.

I certainly don't have 3,000,000฿ coverage on my policy though it does explicitly cover Covid. 

I have no direct experience yet with making claims on my Pacific Cross policy and have no appetite for trusting yet another Thai policy. 

In any event I opted to save myself time, money, aggravation, and risk by just renewing my OA Permission to Stay and enjoying my home life here. At this point I expect I will do the same when my permission expires again next May. 

7 minutes ago, Mickey Mouse said:

My query is about site 

covid19.tgia.org

Their premium seems very low e.g.

71 year old Australian for 1 year 14,400 baht.

Genuine?

Yes it genuine. Remember it only covers covid 19 treatment. 

The same association member companies are the only accepted insurers for OA and OX visas.

16 minutes ago, Mickey Mouse said:

My query is about site 

covid19.tgia.org

Their premium seems very low e.g.

71 year old Australian for 1 year 14,400 baht.

Genuine?

Yes, Australian citizens pay 14.400 THB, UK 23.040 THB and US 42.400 THB for a 1-year premium.

You can also consider SafetyWing travel-insurance as alternative (full travel-insurance including covid-19 for higher coverage, and surely for USA applicants the better choice).  But not available if over 70 years of age.

Edited by Peter Denis