20 killed after train collides with bus in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

24 minutes ago, OnTheRun said:

That would appear to be a different accident. The picture in this story shows a passenger train, that is a freight train.

I did not know a passenger train went through there on a Sunday. 

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, transam said:

*Perhaps the coach was heavily laden on worn out suspension and so low to the ground....?

Such a bus has to drive very slowly over a railway even with a good suspension and it doesn't look like he's sitting on something. God, he almost made it. 

• Like 1

R.I.P.

Windy.com shows a low visibility area in Chachoengsao at 8.00 am this morning.

Visibility up to only 800m.

Not trying to defend the bus driver, but the train could have come out of the fog/low visibility area and the bus driver didn't care or respect the signals.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KhunKenAP said:

On the Thai news they claimed the following:

* No crossing barrier, but lights were flashing. Driver could not hear the train whistle. Probably had the music cranked up.

* Apparently the bus got caught on its undercarriage as the track was not level. If this is true the rail company also bears responsibility.

Hopefully they do a fully investigation and take corrective actions not just on this crossing, but all across Thailand.

If the track was the cause and the bus got stuck on it, then the rail company bears total responsibility, not some of it.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, KhunKenAP said:

* Apparently the bus got caught on its undercarriage as the track was not level. oss Thailand.

Sounds suspiciously like the 'failed brakes' defense... Crossing lights or no lights, barriers or no barriers, in Thailand, i take the time to pause, and look both ways before i cross rail tracks, no matter how much of a hurry I'm in, and i would recommend this to any and all.

• Like 1

Drivers drive for more than one company so that they can drive more hours than they should. They listen to music on headphones so can't hear any external warning notices. Many traffic signals are obscured by trees or signs. The roads are appalling as is the standard of driving. This is just another typical day of accidents unfortunately involving lots of people. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

There is a Youtube video of the accident, probably from a CCTV surveillance camera, in which it seems like there are warning lights, but I cannot see on the video if they were signalling...

I once asked my wife about Thais not stopping at a roundabout that even had a stop sign on it. She just said "they don't know" ????

• Like 1

Just now, ebean001 said:

about 500 a year are killed by train in USA. probably safer in Thailand.

Like clockwork the Whataboutery defense. This is a tragedy, wait at least a day before you try to spin, deflect or obfuscate, all in the name of face.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JusticeGB said:

Drivers drive for more than one company so that they can drive more hours than they should. They listen to music on headphones so can't hear any external warning notices. Many traffic signals are obscured by trees or signs. The roads are appalling as is the standard of driving. This is just another typical day of accidents unfortunately involving lots of people. 

Nothing will change until the people realise that fate and luck don't exist and that the government they vote for can do something to reduce the death toll. Education and the media need sorting out but why would any government do that - turkeys would not vote for Christmas. 

• Like 2

How sad.   The initial impact didn’t seem overly fatal.   The bus gets hit and lurches sideways.   But then it rolled over.      Looking at the photos and video, it appears when the bus rolled over, the train/containers then peeled the top off the bus passenger cabin and that’s where all the death occurred.   Tragic!

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, British Bulldog said:

Geeesh ... takes a while for the freight train to slow down eh ?

Quote:  " ... Trains have the right-of-way because they cannot quickly stop for a motorist at crossings or for trespassers on the tracks. The average freight train, traveling at 55 MPH, takes anywhere from 1 to 1½ miles to stop. Traveling at the same speed, the average automobile can stop in only 200 feet.  ... "

https://www.in.gov/indot/2609.htm

• Like 2