20 killed after train collides with bus in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

47 minutes ago, Mike Rodik said:

zoom in on warning lights, seems out to me...

40 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

Maybe the warning lights at the crossing were not working?  
many possibilities... 

Railway crossings usually have a railway crossing sign which gives the train the right of way in any case, even when signals are not working.

(I know, not in Thailand) It is a basic lesson at driving school to slow down in any case, look left/right before crossing, not to shift gears and not to stop on the tracks.

Edited by Mak25

Yet another tragedy involving bus travel in Thailand.  This is why I don't allow my boys to travel by bus to trips with school or scouts - they join the trip, but me or the missus drives them to the destination.  Many other parents at their school who can, do the same.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mickyr55 said:

If the driver was unable to see if there was a train coming or not surely his responsibility to the 60 passengers was to stop and maybe ask one of them to get out and check, quite easy to save 20 lives isn't it. 

Not if your employer puts you under massive pressure to meet a tight deadline and you can't afford to lose this job. Maybe another train had just passed and he thought it was now safe so not worth the effort. If he thought it was easy he would have done it but something meant it was too hard or unnecessary for him to stop and look up and down the tracks. Someone said he was good enough for the job but was that the bad decision? This crash could have been caused by a wealthy bus company owner sat in a nice air conditioned office wanting to save a few Baht and not having to worry about the consequences. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, tandor said:

...how about the guy in brown shirt and shorts..casually walks up and stands and looks at the wreckage..couldn't care a less about running to help !!

Looks like he could be making a call to the emergency services

2 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

there never is a full investigation - some police chief will make an unsupported segment in order for the matter to be closed. No lessons learned, blame irrationally apportioned and the danger continues.

Agree. 

All will be forgotten in a week or so ,

Back to Covid-19 panic .  RIP .

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Easy to criticise when you are not there.  Of course you would immediately spring in to action, running towards it and saving lives heroically.  Some people go into stunned shock, some don't know what to do, some might not truly realise the gravity of what has just happened, and until you are put in a similar situation no-one knows how they will react.  (Apart from you of course who would react positively and heroically).

Unless a person is fully Trained in such things, the first reaction will always be of shock and disbelief.

• Like 1

never going to be any hopeful outcomes; when a Bus hits a Train 

I remember the Bus hit Train, of 1981... 18 students were the victims, and I recall that some of them were never found...

- bus landed in a big swamp

3 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

Such a bus has to drive very slowly over a railway even with a good suspension and it doesn't look like he's sitting on something. God, he almost made it. 

That's not what I saw... he was nowhere near making it. But there has to be an explanation - as you say - for the pause/virtual standstill at the point of impact?? Beggars belief. It certainly was VERY slow. Meanwhile some onlookers continue driving by.... ????

2 hours ago, chang1 said:

So you would prefer no-one found out about this sort of thing making it easy to cover up mistakes? 

If one of my relatives was one of the casualties I would want the world to know what really happened rather than it to have been put down to a problem with the tracks. The video showed the bus never stopped - I would want to know why.

Far from a scourge, it can help get to the truth. Obviously not all social media is good but it is still developing so, hopefully, will get better.

There are ways and means of doing everything properly and still getting to the truth. There should be more social responsibility within peoples actions. If you note on the video the first person to appear takes a photo. A first response should be to offer aid or summon aid, not record for your own devices. I at no point advocate suppression of news however family have a right to be informed of what has happened to their loved ones in an appropriate manner and not find out via speculative and often inaccurate social media speculation.

• Like 1

RIP.

My guess is the bus driver had no license.

but will blame road and bus mechanical conditions, poor visibility and no brakes.

Later government will set up a commission, have meetings and come up with conclusions. 

And in the end do absolutely nothing!! 

Another accident that could have been avoided ! Health and safety in Thailand is shocking ‘ I’ve seen women climb buildings with babies strapped to them and when i say buildings i mean skyscrapers,over the the years I’ve witnessed many road accidents and majority of the time they could have been avoided about 8yrs ago had a bad motorbike accident in Buriram as a passenger on a motorbike taxi speeding spending  about 6 weeks in hospital... taxi man wasn’t insured and got no help from the police costing me several thousand pounds,.( suppose my fault as had no insurance ) now always take out insurance  Taxi man was found to have alcohol and drugs in his system ???? these poor people were supposedly visiting a temple “. There’s plenty of signs telling you tracks ahead STOP my heart goes out to those who’ve lost loved ones as with most things in life it could have been avoided if the driver was paying attention 

Stop sign or railway crossing they never stop just go right through.

And get very angry when you toot horn at them...

One accident matches all covid19 deaths and yet their actions-reaction so much different, they over-react to chinese virus and do nothing about road safety, absurd, government of incompetence   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1