€15,000 required on savings account for STV

Hi,

Just noticed that my embassy (Scandinavian country) has now published the list of requirements for the long stay STV – and it's outrageous. First of all I thought the idea was that you have to apply for the STV trough a listed Thai agent and use a specified charter flight? So now embassies around the world are coming up with their own rules? My embassy's requirements are very different to the ones published everywhere else. First of all it states that you mush show €15,000 on a savings account for the past 6 months! Seriously how many are going to be able to show that? It just seems like one of those tricks to make it impossible to apply. If you could just show it once, that's still doable for many but to have it on one savings account for the past 6 months makes it extremely difficult. Also, the requirements here say that you can use all "semi commercial flights" (with a list of about 15 common airways). In the requirements published everywhere else it clearly says that you have to book one of the charter flights meant for STV only.

Anybody know about these kind of different rules for the STV? I'm not planning on doing it anyway until the 14 day ASQ period is reduced or made more humane (for example the Phuket option with ability to use beach etc), but this €15,000/6 months thing would blow it for most of us. If I transfer the €15,000 to one savings account now, I'd have to wait 6 months before I can apply. I hope there's some way around this? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I think the 15k can be a total in more than one account. Check with the embassy about it.

There is a big difference between the STV and the single entry one offered now. The STV allows a 90 day entry that can be extended for 90 days twice.

Being able to schedule your own flight is probably better than the charter flight with a STV.

OP, the STV was never a possibility. It's a red herring. Might work for Chinese, however the scheduled first was Oct 8 and that was pushed back to maybe 25th, who knows. 

If your 50+ you could possibly look at obtaining O-A. 

You can read some current threads. Seems those folk can apply for COE.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think the 15k can be a total in more than one account. Check with the embassy about it.

There is a big difference between the STV and the single entry one offered now. The STV allows a 90 day entry that can be extended for 90 days twice.

Being able to schedule your own flight is probably better than the charter flight with a STV.

Thanks for your quick answer. That would help a lot alright if it can be many accounts. I have kept the 400k on a Thai account for a few years now incase of Non-O or other requirements, but apart from that my money is spread over several accounts in Thailand and my home country. It also didn't state if it can only be local account or it Thai accounts are accepted. I just haven't seen this rule in the STV requirements anywhere else, so I wonder why here? And I did see the single entry option there too with a lot less requirements but the €15,000/6 months was the same unfortunately.

You're right the flight requirement is much better, but was just wondering again how the rules here can differ from the STV rules published elsewhere. Have you heard of the 15k being required somewhere else too?

17 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, the STV was never a possibility. It's a red herring. Might work for Chinese, however the scheduled first was Oct 8 and that was pushed back to maybe 25th, who knows. 

If your 50+ you could possibly look at obtaining O-A. 

You can read some current threads. Seems those folk can apply for COE.

Yea, well I just need to get back soon and I don't really have any other way at the moment. I know the STV doesn't work for tourism but it may offer a way back for us who actually live in TH and are now stuck outside. I'm in my 30's so no O-A for me ????

Edited by ChomDo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, connda said:

Thailand being Thailand revolves around wealth and status.  So given that they are only allowing a handful of foreigners into the country, their business model is cater to wealth and status.  Vote with your feet.  Mexico is open. 

Sure, it would be understandable but there are many other ways to prove your wealth. Well let's see how many applications they receive in Oct-Nov. My guess is, not many and then in Dec they would have to reduce the requirements – especially the 14 day ASQ system.

By the way, some time ago there was the idea about allowing ASQ "tourists" to get out in the resort area and use the beach etc. Is that idea cancelled now? Seems like it would be the only way to make the quarantine process more inviting for tourists. I would definitely go for that option but not 15 days in a hotel room for a few thousand Euros. 

8 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

By the way, some time ago there was the idea about allowing ASQ "tourists" to get out in the resort area and use the beach etc. Is that idea cancelled now? Seems like it would be the only way to make the quarantine process more inviting for tourists. I would definitely go for that option but not 15 days in a hotel room for a few thousand Euros. 

some time ago TAT had an idea but changed it the next day or so, if you leave in Thailand you should be familiar with TAT's release of information/updates and their constant (hourly) changing.... good luck

49 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

Have you heard of the 15k being required somewhere else too?

A few days back, a member posted the STV requirements as posted on the Royal Thai Embassy in London's website and similar proof of a higher than average net worth is required there as well.

As others have already mentioned, this is not a 'tourist' visa in any normal sense of the word and the definition of what makes it so 'special' is only now being stated.

No surprises here when Thailand has been touting their desire for high net worth individuals as tourists only for maybe two years already. The pandemic has simply given them another avenue to pursue this hair-brained idea.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, uncleP said:

Quarantine  can be had for 55k baht. Less than 2k Euro. Don't  expect the government  to lessen the length of quarantine for foreigners whilst Thais have to do two weeks

Sure, but there has been talk about reducing to 10 days based on medical evidence that it's sufficient. Same in Europe now. Of course they are so freaked out in TH, that it might not happen. The main issue is not the lenght really but the conditions. Why not arrange ASQ resorts for example in Phuket and Samui where you could get out in the garden, beach or pool. At least that would be worth the money then! 

14 minutes ago, ChomDo said:

Sure, but there has been talk about reducing to 10 days based on medical evidence that it's sufficient

similar rubbish is contained in this thread.

Wishing and praying is different from science and reality.

• Sad 1

Various ministries have been talking for a while now about wanting to move away from the morass of mass tourism Thailand is all-too familiar with to a model targeting high-end tourism.  Fewer tourists, spending more.  No idea if it's a good idea or not, but the requirement the OP refers to seems to be along those line. 

Seems like only "millionare" sent message here coz many post before and say its not much! Hope they happy! Even i have little money, im not let it in account to do nothing! Im not rich and not born gold spoon in behind! What i have make, i put that in work! Only have that kind money in normal account when need move to other place! 

Edited by 2 is 1

38 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

Seems like only "millionare" sent message here coz many post before and say its not much! Hope they happy! Even i have little money, im not let it in account to do nothing! Im not rich and not born gold spoon in behind! What i have make, i put that in work! Only have that kind money in normal account when need move to other place! 

Well that's the point. It may not be much in a way, but at least I don't keep cash hanging on one savings account – especially not in my home country, since I've lived in Thailand for over 10 years. Still not sure if Thai and other foreign accounts are accepted for this proof or it hast to be one single account in your home country? I will call the embassy here and ask, but they are not always the most cooperative bunch of people, so let's see if I get any answer. Unless someone here knows the answer?  

7 hours ago, Dene16 said:

Does anyone know how they are intending to do the transfer from Suvarnabhumi airport to buriam, if needing to stay in this ASQ hotel?

I cannot find any information regarding this

As far as I know you have to arrive on a charter flight in Buriram. I can only recall one news article of that being done.

Perhaps they will arrange for special transport to there from Suvarnabhumi at your cost of course.

Completely crazy. I used to be a self employed Chartered Accountant practice and worked on an overdraft as typically I was owed 2 to 3 months of my annual turnover at any time. I never used even 2 weeks worth of my overdraft but my business account was used to fund my personal account so to keep my interest charges down my personal account never had much money in it. My pension funds were worth far more than the €15,000. The demands being made have no regard to real life. Thailand will never recover it's tourism industry whilst this stupidly carries on.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JusticeGB said:

The demands being made have no regard to real life. Thailand will never recover it's tourism industry whilst this stupidly carries on.

Correct.

BTW that flight that was bringing Chinese tourists in Oct 8 that was cancelled, never had one ticket sold. STV was a joke from outset. It may sell to folk trapped outside of Thailand desperate to see family but are not married or over 50. Just more nonsense from Thai authorities.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ChomDo said:

Just noticed that my embassy (Scandinavian country) has now published the list of requirements for the long stay STV – and it's outrageous.

Certainly sounds outrageous and not what is outlined by Thailand Long Stay Company.  Do you have a link to the page please?

22 hours ago, ChomDo said:

Yea, well I just need to get back soon and I don't really have any other way at the moment. I know the STV doesn't work for tourism but it may offer a way back for us who actually live in TH and are now stuck outside. I'm in my 30's so no O-A for me ????

Couple of my oil and gas mates are going back under the property owner solution.. But its even more wealth based. 

7 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

That doesn't appear to be for the STV as STV has a permission to stay of 90 days (30 minimum) and this has 60 days.

the 15k is not the problem, if you have linked a savings account to your current account in the same bank. METV was always 5k and I had never problems showing my full bank statement with all linked accounts. 

Don`t know how it`s in other countries, but in Germany they just looked at the date, the account holders name and the cumulated amount of money of all bank accounts.

Edited by SpanishExpat

38 minutes ago, farang51 said:

I was interested in the requirements and took a look.  Under #6 it says:

6. Two (2) copies of valid medical/health insurance certificate from Thailand indicating that:
    6.1 cover at least 90 days (from your arrival date) or the whole period of stay in Thailand
    6.2 have medical benefit in Thailand for outpatient must not be less than 40,000 Baht
    6.3 have medical benefit in Thailand for inpatient must not be less than 400,000 Baht.
    6.4 cover all medical expenditures including COVID-19 at least USD 100,000

(Buy an insurance from a company which has been approved by the Office of Insurance Commission of Thailand, please click)

The link refers to https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa

These are the approved companies for providing the Non Imm O-A/O-X mandatory health-insurance addressed under 6.2 and 6.3

But I am surprised by 6.4 which states:

This means that the covid-19 only insurance provided by https://covid19.tgia.org/

does not meet the requirements!

Wow!

35 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

But I am surprised by 6.4 which states:

This means that the covid-19 only insurance provided by https://covid19.tgia.org/

does not meet the requirements!

Wow!

The one you've linked to shows me cover of 3,200,000 THB which XE tells me is 102, 683 USD so it exceeds the requirement of 100,000 USD surely?

image.png.bdde185f62cba8db646aa9439d377f19.png