NPL crisis due to Covid-19 'worse than 1997 meltdown'

webfact

2 minutes ago, 86Tiger said:

that is if the building can remain open for lack of tenants.

I wondered about that.....I am in a condo (renting) with a lot of staff and a lot of facilities......am correct in thinking all these costs are covered by management fees that still have to be paid by the owners regardless of market conditions......so unless they actually default, life should continue as is??? 

11 hours ago, webfact said:

However, the chairman thought that the NPL would not totally emerge in the credit system, since banks have a procedure for tackling this predictable problem.

They just sublet the collections to Murder, Inc.

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Everything is of concern, the tourism bubble has burst, the economy was struggling with the baht value and the shine has gone from Thailands image.

Yet Prayut says all is well in the land.

Taking a cue from US "news"?

On 10/12/2020 at 9:02 AM, holy cow cm said:

sorry robblok. Not entitled so - "watch your words with me". Their stipulation is cannot be paid more than 3 days earlier from due date. Get it? The invoice was also sent 5 days earlier than the due date.

The biggest thing was how they went about it with their new watch hired debt collector dog and so everyone is going to see this in their faces now. The card always is paid off every month at any one (1) given time and never ever ever before has the beforehand payment been a factor or even mentioned to be only 2-3 days before the due date. ONLY this time! One of the main things they were pushing for is wanting the interest only and for that I did not mention in the post, and I don't ever care about or will ever give them. I have payed one time per month at my disposal and timing and now it is their push to have it at no less than 2-3 days prior to due date. They really want the interest and the other 2 things mentioned are they want now to be able to take direct payment out of the bank account automatically ( NO WAY IN H e ..) or I think they want to have only the interest paid by tacking it on to the debt as paid (money maker). The money is piddly and insignificant and the payment was maid not 1 month before but in the same term.

Anyway, now I know the game it is not big deal but just a hoop to jump abiding their 3 day period before due date. I actually see this as a sign of the financial crash times here for most all of their institutions.

Sounds to me your making thins hard for nothing. My creditcard is automatically deducted too. Saves a lot of hassle. You are far to rigid. I feel your too entitled. But that is my opinion. I never had a problem with automatic collections. My phone, electricity water all get taken by them. I guess I am more trusting and less of a control freak.

I actually see no problems at all their banks are healthy they can absorb this. There are tough times but those banks are healthy (non government ones)

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Sounds to me your making thins hard for nothing. My creditcard is automatically deducted too. Saves a lot of hassle. You are far to rigid. I feel your too entitled. But that is my opinion. I never had a problem with automatic collections. My phone, electricity water all get taken by them. I guess I am more trusting and less of a control freak.

I actually see no problems at all their banks are healthy they can absorb this. There are tough times but those banks are healthy (non government ones)

Up to you! You live life your way and I will live life my way.

11 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Up to you! You live life your way and I will live life my way.

Sure, but i reserve the right to comment if i think its about a storm in a teacup like this. You make it out as if its anti farang and almost like your human rights are violated for such a small thing. While with auto incasso no such problem would exist.

I think a more relaxed attitude would serve you better. Just my opinion.

Edited by robblok
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

Sure, but i reserve the right to comment if i think its about a storm in a teacup like this. You make it out as if its anti farang and almost like your human rights are violated for such a small thing. While with auto incasso no such problem would exist.

I think a more relaxed attitude would serve you better. Just my opinion.

Put it this way. I am the secondary card holder on my Thai wife's main account. She received nothing but I got hassled. So you better believe it was pin the tail on the foreigner.

• Like 1

Just now, holy cow cm said:

Put it this way. I am the secondary card holder on my Thai wife's main account. She received nothing but I got hassled. So you better believe it was pin the tail on the foreigner.

Deep pockets since you are married to a Thai.  What"s yours is their's and what's their's is their's.  Either family wants it or the banks. Never an even playing field.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A post containing a chart copy and pasted from some site with no supporting link has been removed:

A post in violation of fair use policy has been removed:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

17 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Deep pockets since you are married to a Thai.  What"s yours is their's and what's their's is their's.  Either family wants it or the banks. Never an even playing field.

>>Deep pockets since you are married to a Thai. << When you are married to a Thai ,in more cases than not ,your pockets are never deep enough.

• Like 1

Looks like non-performing loans (NPLs) are rising fast. Earlier this month Bangkok Bank issued USD$750 million in bonds and Kasikorn is selling USD$500 million perpetual bonds, which cannot be recalled within 5 years, on Oct. 14, 2020.

BOT's debt deferral scheme is scheduled to end Oct. 22 so we should start see lots of assets, pledged as loan collateral, come for sale.

Edited by Banana7
  • Like 2

On 10/12/2020 at 9:14 AM, tomazbodner said:

all the money (OK, I didn't have much at that time) was on the account and could be withdrawn again normally, just wasn't worth anywhere near as much as a few days earlier.

I have a lot of laffs from various financial advisers on this forum, but the best one I like from Thailand cheerleaders is Thai banks are safe and deposits are insured at 5 million baht. This gives me epic lolz because I grew up in Yugoslavia during hyperinflation. If a bank would ever need a government bailout sure enough your money will be "insured", but what will it really be worth? 

• Like 1

Bank of Thailand is not reporting current commercial bank NPLs in 2020. Normally NPLs are reported every quarter.

BOT indicates last update was: 23 Sep 2020 16:00 but no 2020 data available. See here: https://www.bot.or.th/App/BTWS_STAT/statistics/BOTWEBSTAT.aspx?reportID=428&language=eng

Looks like the banks are withholding critical data and information from the public. I doubt there is any good news or data that's being with held.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

And just this Morning in a Article from another Newspaper based in Bangkok, the Banks are desperately trying to restructure Loans that are delinquent, into Loans that are not.

This means the borrower has to pay either the principle payments on the loans, OR the Interest Payments under a scheme called " Special Mention Loans " which is where Loans that are between 30 and 90 days overdue are not classed as NPL Loan.

By placing these Loans in " Special Mention Loans " the Banks are not showing NPL on their books, which upholds their Share price and gives Investors confidence to invest.

But once a bad payer, always a bad payer ..... until default.

There was also much concern expressed in the Article about depreciating Asset Values

The article is well worth a read.

Here are the statistics for the "special mention loans" from BOT, latest update, 20 August 2020. Note SMLs lag 50 day for reporting.

https://www.bot.or.th/App/BTWS_STAT/statistics/BOTWEBSTAT.aspx?reportID=906&language=eng

Personal Consumption SML are at 339.7 billion baht! All SMLs are 1,229,404.16 million baht

FI_SM_001.xlsx

On 10/11/2020 at 12:05 PM, webfact said:

However, the chairman thought that the NPL would not totally emerge in the credit system, since banks have a procedure for tackling this predictable problem.

Sure, the procedure is called “write-off”.