OX visa generated permission of stay duration ?

I am trying to be SURE of this, so please confirm only if your reasonably sure of the answer, rather than 'it sounds like it should be', I understand that not too many people use these OX visas so information is a little harder to clarify. 

When entering the kingdom, while holding a 5 year non imm OX visa, what duration period of stay do you get issued by the border officers ??

I believed it was (much like the elite / PE visas) one year entry given on each arrival to the kingdom, issued on each arrival up to the end date of the visa (eg can be 5 years 11 months and x days actual use from that visa). 

I was recently told you get a 5 year permission of stay, I do not think that is correct, and in fact dont know of any class of visa that generates a stay that long. That actually also makes me curious what PR holders get as a stamp ?? 

Everything I have seen about the OX visas says a five year entry.

This from a embassy website.

Purpose of Visit

This type of visa may be issued to applicants aged 50 years and over who wish to stay in Thailand for a period of not exceeding 10 year without the intention of working. Holder of this type of visa is allowed to stay in Thailand for 5 years each time (total 10 years). Employment of any kind is strictly prohibited.

Source: https://thaiembdc.org/non-immigrant-visa-category-o-x-long-stay/

My understanding is this. 

The 5 year visa, generates a one year permission of stay on entry (and when they can demand to see your insurance etc) where at the end of 12 months, if you have not left the country, you go to the local office, show your 'thai based' insurance as by default you are now resident, and your financials, and they give you another 12 months extension to that permission of stay, returning each 12 months you do not leave the country. This process still complies with the statement you have quoted, and provides the structure to 'police' the process. 

Otherwise how would they ensure you comply with the requirement to continually approve those documents 'each year'.

You do not logically need a re-entry permit of course as you hold a visa, and any re-entry would allow a shorter duration entry back into the kingdom than the 1 year visa generated permission of stay by default. Each re-entry of this visa resets the clock required to visit immigration. 

Its a key aspect of this visa class so I hope we can find at least 1 person who holds one (!!! I know they are not popular but surely) who can clarify.

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

Why apply for the O-X Visa? What would be the reason? 

5 years of simple travel in and out without any concern and without any direct out of pocket costs like the elite. 

I travel all the time, usually 4 or 5 times per year minimum, and am not usually in Thailand long enough for under consideration review so currently I have to either keep getting multi entry visas (which is becoming more and more restricted) or be lucky with travel timing for everything to match (using re-entry permits). 

I have money in Thailand already, so if anything happens to me my wife has easily accessible funds, so if I have to top that up to 3 mil is no real inconvenience to me. From where I sit it looks like a massive win win and ease of use, do it once and then just forget about it for years of easy travel. 

I have an O-X, due covid-19 i was unable to enter in April due  covid-19, should be entering next month, the embassy told me i would be stamped in for 5 year, and would have to show my documents ie money still in bank insurance, every year at immigration on anniversary  date printed on your o-x visa , but who knows what will actually happen, i'll need to check with immigration when i get to Thailand

5 minutes ago, howerde said:

I have an O-X, due covid-19 i was unable to enter in April due  covid-19, should be entering next month, the embassy told me i would be stamped in for 5 year, and would have to show my documents ie money still in bank insurance, every year at immigration on anniversary  date printed on your o-x visa , but who knows what will actually happen, i'll need to check with immigration when i get to Thailand

That's great, please come back and report what happens. 

To me if implemented like that, there's no way to control it, there's no system of enforcement to visit immigration, and no solution of your not in country on that anniversary. Everything else, 90 day reports, etc etc all are controlled from entry to the kingdom. In fact nothing I can think of in immigrations systems work from visa issue date. 

Will be very interested what happens. Thanks. 

i agree, the visa seems to work, if you are living in Thailand permanently  and making lots of short trips out of country, but spending lots of time out the country and not being in the country on the anniversary seems a mystery as to what would happen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Upon arrival in Thailand, the immigration officer will grant the Non-O-X visa holders the stay permit in the Kingdom for the period of not exceeding 5 years according to visa validity.

• Foreigners must report, in person, to the immigration officer every 1 year for the examination of the qualifications and supporting documents.
  • Stay permit of the Non-O-X visa holders may be revoked due to following conditions:
  • Foreigners do not have financial evidence as per stipulated by above qualifications such as:

- The sum of money in the bank account is less than 3 million Bath at the end of the first year of stay period in Thailand.

- The sum of money in the bank account is less than 1.5 million Baht at the end of the second year of stay period in Thailand, and/or the money in said account was spent outside Thailand.

2) Foreigners do not have insurance as per stipulated by above qualifications

3) Foreigners pose threat to peace and security of Thailand.

4) Foreigners work without permission.

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84508-non-immigrant-visas?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

Edited by jacko45k
  • Thanks 1

Interesting London does keep saying it that way. That said embassys very often give advice that's not correct for incountry processing. The system proposed seems to have no good way of controlling the process or dealing with people who are not there at dates. 

I am amazed we don't have anyone who holds one able to report thier entry stamp but it is looking like that is how they try to do it. 

Curious how they will treat someone who isn't there when they have to go to immigration.

Edited by LivinLOS
  • Like 1