Thais overwhelmed by rising prices of food, necessities, poll shows

snoop1130

3 hours ago, djayz said:

Tried that In the West and look what it got us; 2 and 3 generations of good-for-nothings sitting on their behinds waiting for the dole, compliments of those who were taxed to the teeth as a thank you for not being one of the lazy ones. 

IMO that's a bit harsh, most people want to work. It's only a very small percentage that are genuine bludgers. My son has only worked full-time for one month in his entire life. Having said that, he has never been on the dole either.

I don't know what country you come from, but taxed to the teeth makes me laugh. In Australia, there are tax rorts employed by just about every high income earner - family trusts, capital gains tax discount, franking credits, negative gearing, salary sacrifice into superannuation to name some of them. Anyone who pays high taxes in Australia just isn't doing it right.

With welfare, the trick is to make the payment sufficient for people to live on, while making the basic wage a more attractive option. Given that baristas, Grab drivers and McDonald's seem to be the main routes to employment nowadays, that's a big ask.

7 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Dreamland 

Aka . Thailand . 

However that said .

Nobody put a gun to my head to buy land and house , Los ..

In summary , i wish they had ...

On 10/13/2020 at 8:45 AM, Pattaya Spotter said:

There's more chance of price deflation than inflation in the current scenario.

Be interesting to see how it pans out. The usual economic theory is that if the supply of goods and services falls and there is a (massive) increase in the money supply then prices should rise, rapidly. Similar to what happened in the UK housing market. Limited supply of homes, banks willing to give large loans, prices rise. The Government conveniently ignores housing costs in their CPIs.

Edited by Henryford

39 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Be interesting to see how it pans out. The usual economic theory is that if the supply of goods and services falls and there is a (massive) increase in the money supply then prices should rise, rapidly. Similar to what happened in the UK housing market. Limited supply of homes, banks willing to give large loans, prices rise. The Government conveniently ignores housing costs in their CPIs.

If aggregate demand is steady or rising and there is a simultaneous increase in the money supply, prices will rise (inflation). When demand is low or falling, as is the case now with mass layoffs and an economic contraction, increases in the money supply don't cause inflation. 

19 hours ago, maqui said:

Ah, yes, I remember how that happened last time, after central banks started pumping money into banks after 2008: hyperinflation, massive price increases by a thousand percent, I had to transport bank notes in a wheelbarrow to buy a loaf of bread and a bottle of water.

Having a flashback to your youth in the Weimar Republic ay! 

This is a global problem. They say automation creates jobs, but it actually creates few jobs that are only reserved for a portion of the people.

I spent many years in IT, and I can confirm I was personally responsible for creating systems that left people driving an Uber to make a living. Of course, I had no choice, that's what my masters ordered me to do.

The future is grim. We will probably all be living in the streets in 30 years. Educating people on how to make shelter or scavenge for resources might not be such a crazy idea after all.

Edited by andux
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, andux said:

This is a global problem. They say automation creates jobs, but it actually creates few jobs that are only reserved for a portion of the people.

I spent many years in IT, and I can confirm I was personally responsible for creating systems that left people driving an Uber to make a living. Of course, I had no choice, that's what my masters ordered me to do.

The future is grim. We will probably all be living in the streets in 30 years. Educating people on how to make shelter or scavenge for resources might not be such a crazy idea after all.

And the root problem is overpopulation.

https://populationmatters.org/

• Like 1

I think the least a relatively rich nation like Thailand can do is ensure cheap basic food, some shelter, and genuine universal health care to all its really sick citizens.  Unfortunately, not much can else can really be done apart from that, and its down to individuals to make the best they can out of a genuinely bad situation.