Foreigners offered new ‘smart visa’ if they buy a condo in Thailand, Elite Card holders offered work permits

webfact

18 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

What does buying a house have to do with tourism...do people only take vacations to countries where they can buy property? Or are you saying it's easier for foreigners to buy property in Malaysia, which is true, but keep in mind the minimum purchase price in most areas is about US$ 250,000 (no $75k condos for foreigners there) and the 30% gains tax on sales for the first 8 years (20% in Thailand).

Tourism opens up the housing market to the world.  Many foreign house owners first see their future country during an idyllic holiday whilst wearing rose-coloured spectacles.  Spain is just such a case in point; cheap holidays; cheap booze and lots of sunshine resulted in an explosion of building, buying and selling.

Thailand is in the building stage where hundreds of condos are still being built despite the market having disappeared.  Watch property prices drop as people struggle to live in the new normal. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I hope so...maybe pickup a nice condo or house cheap.

No doubt in places like Pattaya, Phuket, parts of Bangkok, and other farang heavy locations there will be very significant price drops, but those locations are only a small part of Thailand.  When looking at Thailand as a whole, the housing market price index will continue its multi year trend upwards like shown below for the Bangkok metro/surrounding area.  And I sure know from my Thai famaily/friends who live out in the provinces they freqeuntly mention how land and building prices have went up so much over recent years.  COVID will just cause a short term dip which can already be seen on below Thailand House Price Index.  Plus, when land/building prices do decide to dip it seems the Thai mentality is just to stick with their current selling price....take it or leave it....that sure cuts down on the number of sales but keeps the price high.

https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/housing-index

image.png.25c5f3f3ea6599e6779a791538d8b4aa.png

image.png.ec01dd1cf8a2a93882cd9555f55c2e4a.png

Edited by Pib

1 hour ago, Pib said:

No doubt in places like Pattaya, Phuket, parts of Bangkok, and other farang heavy locations there will be very significant price drops, but those locations are only a small part of Thailand.

Perfect...I'd never live in Nakhon Nowhere.

• Haha 2

You would need a reverse proof agreement that the Thai Government can't wriggle their way out of, unfortunately these deals can be reversed at a drop of a hat, risk assessment needs to be fully thought out, after looking at this year, I can't place any trust in any countries Government in any future years, anything can happen.

• Thanks 1

Just another kick in the teeth to those that have already invested millions in condos and are as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit. Or not welcome at all as they can't get in. Good luck to those dumb enough to fall for it.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I hope so...maybe pickup a nice condo or house cheap.

Don't buy a house!  You can never own it 100%.  Those who set up a company will assure you it is foolproof until the <deleted> hits the fan.  Then they will tell you both sets of shareholders are liable for jail.  I've got the T-shirt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

Don't buy a house!  You can never own it 100%.  Those who set up a company will assure you it is foolproof until the <deleted> hits the fan.  Then they will tell you both sets of shareholders are liable for jail.  I've got the T-shirt.

fully agree. foreign are not entitled to own land in this country. period.

buy a boat but not a house.

But if you're married with a decent thai woman and you trust her that's one option, but again you will own a shot in your name.

Edited by A512

On 10/13/2020 at 9:25 PM, Peterphuket said:

Yeh, but no freedom anymore....When I see Carry Lam, I prefer to stay here, and it will be worser, you know that. Honk Kong is lost forever.

Yes, it is sad to say but although I am a Hong Kong permanent resident I will never live there again. I still have family and 100's of friends there so I will keep visiting to see them.   Thailand is now my home. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

Been on the Video yet?

23 hours ago, A512 said:

fully agree. foreign are not entitled to own land in this country. period.

buy a boat but not a house.

But if you're married with a decent thai woman and you trust her that's one option, but again you will own a shot in your name.

I thought I had married a decent Thai lady but she connived with the audit company to alter share holdings so she owned more shares than me.  I signed all the Thai documents in my innocence and trust.  My farang children lost a chunk of their inheritance.