Foreigners offered new ‘smart visa’ if they buy a condo in Thailand, Elite Card holders offered work permits

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Foreigners who buy an EIGHT million baht condo and don't sell it for five years could get one

So buy a condo the size of a "kornflake" cereal packet you get a smart visa...

time the government & tourist ministry moved on.

1 hour ago, varun said:

So the 'Smart Visa' is for stupid people - TiT

They may as well call it 'Sick Buffalo Visa'

Humm.  The twenty year old bar girl you met 25 years ago graduated uni, got a job in the government and now works creating immigration policy. 
"I know many stupid farang 25 years ago.  Give me big money for mum's sick buffalo. But mum no have buffalo!  Ha ha ha.  Now farang give Thai government big money for visa.  We tell stupid farang we give him work permit and let him stay forever.  Ha ha ha!"

• Haha 1

If you can buy a path to nationality in say Portugal or Cyprus for E250k Why would anyone else be interested, except Thai girls are cuter... The whole thing is a farce. In Europe, E250k pretty much gives you a guarantee of nationality. This offer is worthless. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Why would anyone want a cracker box 35 to 50 SqM condo. That's what 8 Mthb will buy you in Bangkok.  Why plow a million USD into real estate to get a work permit.  More carrots being dangled that are coated with vinegar.

a 35 -50 sqm condo costs only between 1-2 milion baht in Bangkok. I dont know where you get your numbers from. I have a 25 sqm that was bought directly new from the contractor in 2016 for 850k baht and now is worth around 1 milion baht and the location is on nut by the bts.

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

Seems to me all these "ideas" are only for show: 

1. To the tourism sector that they are trying to bring in tourists and foreigners

2. To the majority of Thais (according to the ridiculous surveys with samples of about 1000 people) that they are kipping the country safe. 

If they were serious about letting people in they would just open the borders (yes, with covid tests and maybe even a couple of days quarantine until the results come back) 

spot on......very well summed up and confirmed by Thai people I know that have working brains with wide perspective.  A lot of the stupid tourist ideas will die a quick death but Govt can claim 'we tried but farang no come' (ie not my fault).

43 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

But is it competitive with Malaysia and Vietnam?    Bangkok, and Thailand as a whole, does not offer 1/10 of what the cities you just mention offer if you have money. 

I'm not saying they're equal...that's why the substantial cost difference. I just pointed out why the Thai proposal might be attractive to some people (in addition the fact that to immigrate and live/work in those aforementioned countries is either legally not possible for many or prohibitively expensive compared to Thailand. As for Malaysia and Vietnam, the visitor and foreign business investment numbers speak for themselves.

15 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I don't except your premise that large numbers of buyers of 8 & 8+M Bangkok condos aren't living in them. They might only be using them as second or vacation or investment properties but that's still occupying them. Do you have any sources that say otherwise...that there are a lot of expensive sold condos that are going unoccupied?

That'd be the smashing success of the STV program. None came to see their properties. Yet Chinese have been touted as the main buyers for some time. It's very likely they are either rented out or empty.

Some background: https://asia.nikkei.com/Economy/Thailand-s-condo-market-sinks-as-Chinese-investment-ebbs

Edited by DrTuner

30 minutes ago, oldsalt said:

At up to 2 million baht for a bolt hole in Chiang Mai, I might have been interested. But 8 million?!   I'll continue to live comfortably in rural Australia and wait until commonsense prevails before returning.  Which could, of course, be some time.  Having worked in Bangkok for many years in advertising and public relations, I know how much Thai authorities resent seeking input or advice from farang.  But, boy, now is the time to listen to those farang seeking to stay, or to come back.  How about a forum with some of the foreign Chambers of Commerce to get some reasoned input?!

I've known Thai Chamber of Commerce members in the past, and even there their nationalism creates the conditions of only accepting that "It's the Thai-Way or the highway!  Don't let the door hit ya in the behind farangs." A little more accepting then their government counterparts, but not much.

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

the government is so clueless. what they should be doing is setting the price at one million baht for a condo and a free elite visa for 5 years. then the glut of condos, especially at the low end would be cleared overnight and the Thai real estate market will recover faster. 

Just what the Chinese Investors are looking for

Buy a whole load of cheap Condos, and rent them out AirBNB when the Market picks up for the Touroids.

Now they are dangling a changed "smart visa" before the eyes of condo buyers and even promising to throw in an "Elite Card" if you spend enough in the real estate market.

They will try to do anything to get the Super Rich to come and spend big in Los.

What about Normal people with Family and property Being Married or Living in a Defacto relation Let them All come back so they can Spend money.

Tourists Nah Forget them, they don't want to jump thru all them High Hoops .

Than there's the  Super Rich /Well connected, they will be Looked after.

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

the government is so clueless. what they should be doing is setting the price at one million baht for a condo and a free elite visa for 5 years. then the glut of condos, especially at the low end would be cleared overnight and the Thai real estate market will recover faster. 

I believe you didn't think this through. Do you realise how many dirty farangs would come to Thailand if condos could be bought so cheaply?

41 minutes ago, katatonic said:

Quite often a majority are 'owned' by the developer's family. Good luck in getting management fees from those ones.

Legally the developer is required to pay the annual HOA dues for unsold units. I don't know what this has to do with a visa for investment scheme. There are good and bad development companies in any market...buyers need to do their research.

• Like 1

I'm wondering what it would take for all these Thai leaders to just stop with all these nonsense idea-options DAILY! 

Here is the real problem LOOK IN THE DAMN MIRROR!  I've never known a country leaders to have such a big mouth that each day they find a way to shove a larger foot in it!

TRY THINKING BEFORE SPEAKING! 

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

That'd be the smashing success of the STV program. None came to see their properties. Yet Chinese have been touted as the main buyers for some time. It's very likely they are either rented out or empty.

Some background: https://asia.nikkei.com/Economy/Thailand-s-condo-market-sinks-as-Chinese-investment-ebbs

It's just an option...nobody is forced into it. And again...it's just a proposal...nobody knows if it will even materialize or not.

13 minutes ago, Wytchend said:

Vietnam.......please seize the opportunity and benefit from the millions that will now never return to Thailand. Your people are kind, & your country is beautiful.

Your neighbours have shown their true colours. You deserve the success now. Just a little common sense & your countrymen & women will benefit no end. 

I think you need to find a Viet-Visa Forum, where your paeans to the joys of Vietnam will be appreciated.

• Sad 1

Foreigners who buy an EIGHT million baht condo and don't sell it for five years could get one. 

???????????????? they so funny ????????????????

People own Property here now and they can not get back into Thailand....????????????????

What makes you think by buying now, they will not allow you to come back in without any restrictions? Don’t waste your retirement funds on this country. Thais are trying to sell theirs Condo and homes which they even know they made a bad investment. 

Any other great ideas? Oh there’s one, Raise the baht to 35 or 39. This will bring tourist back.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DjSilver said:

a 35 -50 sqm condo costs only between 1-2 milion baht in Bangkok. I dont know where you get your numbers from. I have a 25 sqm that was bought directly new from the contractor in 2016 for 850k baht and now is worth around 1 milion baht and the location is on nut by the bts.

People with no real facts have to exegerate for effect.