Thai labor department calls for private sector companies to give employees long weekend holidays

webfact

Thai labor department calls for private sector companies to give employees long weekend holidays

7pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

The Department of Labor Protection and Welfare has called for companies in the private sector to give their employees days off for the newly created four day holidays in November and December. 

This particularly relates to giving days off on Thursday and Friday 19th-20th November and Friday 11th December. 

The days in November are additional holidays creating a four day weekend while the 11th December is the new day for the former king's birthday replacement day that was originally scheduled for Monday 7th.

It was moved to the following Friday to create another long weekend as 10th December is Constitution Day.

The move mean two long weekends that the authorities hope will stimulate the economy especially tourism. 

DLPW chief Apinya Sujaritanan urged companies in the private sector where possible to honor the holidays. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-10-14

9 minutes ago, webfact said:

The Department of Labor Protection and Welfare has called for companies in the private sector to give their employees days off for the newly created four day holidays in November and December.

Are these paid days off? I mean if they don't get paid to take a holiday, how can they become weekend domestic tourists?

• Like 2

I agree with thus latest "master plan".

If I were an employer I would certainly do it without hesitation and only a small reservation.

If the government is willing to pay them for the "extra" days off, I would be happy to do so, but if not then the staff can take the day off without pay. If I have deadlines to meet then th staff would have to work unpaid overtime so that I can meet the deadlines.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

Half of the population work in the tourist sector, the other half are tourists. 

And half of those who work in the hospitality industry are now unemployed. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mark131v said:

You know if you google Thailand with today's date there is no mention of this holiday yourself out of recession stuff, however there is lots of other important news which I cannot find on TV, most peculiar... 

That is why I read the "other" English paper, as it was on there before 8 am.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

It's Thainess mate. You know the theory of relativity.....well when Thais work they actually create negative value (that's like c being the speed of light)....and when they go on holiday they create massive value. It's call the Theory of Tie-comics.....bit like manga, but with no words.

Ah... I think you're right. It's the anti-somchai matter.

Quite frankly, they can take a long run off a short pier. 

December - moving a holiday a few days to create a 4 day weekend, no problem.

November - just randomly announcing 2 extra days is idiotic. I doubt any in the private sector are going to give this. 
October - if they had some foresight (wishful thinking I know..) they could have given this previous Monday (best option) or next Thursday as an extra holiday to create 4 day weekends. That might have got a bit more uptake. 

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

The private sector is trying everything to get some headway after the shutdown, they are not interested in giving employees extra days off.

That may work for the well-heeled civil service who can find funds to cover everything.

Correct ..