Korat: City disappears under flood water following heavy rain

webfact

Korat: City disappears under flood water following heavy rain

1pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Daily News reported that much of the city of Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand's north eastern gateway, disappeared under floor waters last night following extremely heavy rain.

Particularly badly hit was the area of the SaveOne market that lies on Mittraphap (Friendship) Highway several kilometers outside the city. 

Floodwaters as deep as one meter plus left just the handlebars of motorcycles showing. 

1pm1.jpg

The waters caused widespread delays on the main highway also. 

Problems in the city itself were exacerbated by work to bury overhead cables underground.

1pm2.jpg

Unable to see the holes some car drivers got stuck and the authorities had to tow them out. This happened on Poh Klang Road in particular. 

The media reported widespread disruption and traffic woes in the downtown area of the city.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-10-16

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Tongjaw said:

Floods happen in England almost yearly in the same areas, nothing changes. In the US the storms and floods create havoc and devastation yearly but the people still rebuild their homes and businesses in the same areas, nothing changes. Yes Thailand has a lot of stupid things happening but IMO the epicentre of stupidity lies here in TV with the amount of dumb comments. 

Yes, you are right regarding that you can not build system for hurricanes and tsunamis as well as the heavy rain that storms bring in. However, most countries do not get flooded after 2-3 days of heavy rain. So, now the hat is all yours.

• Like 2

Ask yourself why, in the Rainy Season, 30 million people venture out each day on their motorcycles without rain- gear, get soaked on a regular basis, and you'll begin to understand why the flooding never comes as a surprise annually.

3 minutes ago, mancub said:

Ask yourself why, in the Rainy Season, 30 million people venture out each day on their motorcycles without rain- gear, get soaked on a regular basis, and you'll begin to understand why the flooding never comes as a surprise annually.

The rain isn't cold ...... is the answer.

I don't mind getting wet, but I don't like getting cold.

If I'm going out, I've often got a change of clothes under my m/c seat.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Yes, you are right regarding that you can not build system for hurricanes and tsunamis as well as the heavy rain that storms bring in. However, most countries do not get flooded after 2-3 days of heavy rain. So, now the hat is all yours.

Flooding, and managing it, cost the UK around £2.2 billion each year: we currently spend around £800 million per annum on flood and coastal defences; and, even with the present flood defences, they experience an average of £1,400 million of damage yearly. Now if the same areas get flooded yearly then obviously their is something wrong with the flood and coastal defence systems. Where is the £800 million going because it doesn’t seem to be helping. Stupid people, stupid government or corruption.