Yee Peng lantern release: where to watch for free?

Aeiou7

I'm not interested in a pricy event and assume that it will be possible to watch lanterns go up in the sky for free, maybe next to an event location. Any advice from friendly local expats where would be best?

I am very aware that everything is scaled down a lot this year but tickets for mass lantern releases are still sold. No idea how many are being bought, though, and this certainly affects the number of lanterns in general and at specific locations. 

Thanks from a stingy domestic farang tourist. ✌️????????

Edited by Aeiou7

6 hours ago, johng said:

Jomtien and Pattaya beaches usually have a fair few lanterns released on "Loy Krating" night which this year coincides with Halloween,there will also be a "bikini" run on Pattaya beach.

Thanks for your contribution, but my question was neither about Jomtien and Pattaya (hence posting in a Chiang Mai forum) nor about Loy Krathong which happens in Chiang Mai one day after Yee Peng festival.

13 hours ago, Aeiou7 said:

I'm not interested in a pricy event and assume that it will be possible to watch lanterns go up in the sky for free, maybe next to an event location. Any advice from friendly local expats where would be best?

I am very aware that everything is scaled down a lot this year but tickets for mass lantern releases are still sold. No idea how many are being bought, though, and this certainly affects the number of lanterns in general and at specific locations. 

Thanks from a stingy domestic farang tourist. ✌️????????

Go to CM town. All free. 

Alternatively you can watch it on TV. 

????????

• Like 1

Follow the canal that passes behind MaeJo University away from the city. A number of communities out that way have nice, traditional events every year. When cars are parked along the road, you park, too. Some of those villages have very well-organized parking. 

Good luck! 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2020 at 5:02 PM, johng said:

Jomtien and Pattaya beaches usually have a fair few lanterns released on "Loy Krating" night which this year coincides with Halloween,there will also be a "bikini" run on Pattaya beach.

I want to see the bikini tops launched into the sky. Is that too much to ask?

• Haha 2