Voltage Tester

faraday

I want to be able to test the voltage from the plugs around the house, not only to see if they're safe, but also to know if they are delivering 240v, so it should incorporate a digital readout.

I've seen voltage pens on Lazada, but have no idea if they're any good.

Any suggestions please?

Edited by faraday
Glammar...

16 minutes ago, faraday said:

I want to be able to test the voltage from the plugs around the house, not only to see if they're safe, but also to know if they are delivering 240v, so it should incorporate a digital readout.

I've seen voltage pens on Lazada, but have no idea if they're any good.

Any suggestions please?

A voltage pen will not give a digital reading.

the voltage in the MEA  is a nominal 230V

the voltage in the PEA is a nominal 220V

neither the MEA nor the PEA maintains the nominal supply voltage,

my PEA supply is at 224V at the moment it will change during the day.

if in the Bangkok area you might see 240V once in a blue moon.

Lazada has everything from cheap dangerous rubbish through copy goods to quality products, it is just an aggregator not a shop. Caveat emptor

Edited by sometimewoodworker

Probably better to go with a good solid reputable branded meter like a Fluke.

Check Google and compare the range of Fluke meters.

There may be other meters that do the job, but if you are just starting out measuring spooky stuff that can kill you, I'd stay away from cheap unprotected meters.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, carlyai said:

There may be other meters that do the job, but if you are just starting out measuring spooky stuff that can kill you, I'd stay away from cheap unprotected meters.

I can't see you getting a decent Fluke for much less than 16k baht. Mine cost £450 in the UK many years ago. However, copies can be dangerous.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, polpott said:
1 hour ago, carlyai said:

I can't see you getting a decent Fluke for much less than 16k baht. Mine cost £450 in the UK many years ago. However, copies can be dangerous.

Totally agree that any Fluke meter meter is total overkill for the OP's stated purpose of checking the AC voltage at the outlets of his home. This should do the trick, just select 600 V AC (one-click to the right) and when your finished turn it off (one-click back to the left).

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/panda-home-xl830l-digital-lcd-multimeter-i245094416-s844982611.html

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Totally agree that any Fluke meter meter is total overkill for the OP's stated purpose of checking the AC voltage at the outlets of his home. This should do the trick, just select 600 V AC (one-click to the right) and when your finished turn it off (one-click back to the left).

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/panda-home-xl830l-digital-lcd-multimeter-i245094416-s844982611.html

Agreed but be very wary when "testing for dead". Even with a Fluke, its recommended that you test it against an approved voltage source both before and after testing for dead.

A multi-meter is great, but something like this might be better. 

I will test the ground, check that the hot and neutral aren’t switched, the voltage and test that your breaker will actually trip in the event of you getting shocked.

5182EABB-A13C-481F-BDB6-3724F631DA7D.thumb.png.d9f11670758fddd7ec5b7a89ddf0009c.png 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mogandave said:

A multi-meter is great, but something like this might be better. 

I will test the ground, check that the hot and neutral aren’t switched, the voltage and test that your breaker will actually trip in the event of you getting shocked.

5182EABB-A13C-481F-BDB6-3724F631DA7D.thumb.png.d9f11670758fddd7ec5b7a89ddf0009c.png 

I have a Martindale. Problem is that its configured for UK sockets and not easy to use with an adaptor. Make sure its configured for Thai sockets. A very useful tool though. Only useful for testing sockets, it can't test any other circuits.

Edited by polpott

44 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

110 baht??

Amazing price.

Anyone know what is the difference between the DT830L and XL830L models?

55 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Agree a good multimeter should be great and no need to pay for a Fluke.  I have this model which is fully automatic and very well insulated and wires are internal so no chance of short at connectors/meter and points are also very small and well protected.  It has worked very well for me in the 2 or 3 years I have been using it.   About 500 baht but a lot safer than the 1-200 baht models.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/huayi-ms8231-household-type-automatic-digital-multimeter-universal-meter-without-shifting-intelligent-anti-burning-high-precision-i1624098256-s4464030460.html?

image.png.fb653f51ecbd09ad2c40e83335d87816.png

2 minutes ago, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

Multimeter all I ever used just select correct setting on switch.

For normal use just turn on and take reading - AC/DC or Ohms with no need to change sockets on meter or observe polarity.  Works every time and auto shut off and as said probes are very well insulated.  

• Like 1

Just had a thought Crossy...

Perhaps you could knock something like this up to use when moderating.

Instead of a warning from you, the device could send a few volts to the troublesome member (tvf member I mean :crazy:)

I'll most probably order the Habdotest one. Thanks.

@Crossy

1 hour ago, faraday said:

Instead of a warning from you, the device could send a few volts to the troublesome member (tvf member I mean :crazy:)

I'll most probably order the Habdotest one. Thanks.

Tempting, tempting :whistling:

I've got a Habotest unit on order, should be here Saturday, I'll report on it's operation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The thing with these cheap readily available meters is, if you'ryou're fairly new to the game you could get a shock. Same with those neon pens that you have to put your thumb over. No way hozay for this little fella. I live dangerously enough drinking the occasional Chang beer.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Yeah that's the one.

Unfortunately these young whippersnappers of today don't realise we live in an Analogue world.

In our first year we had this big old hand crank ring generator and we used to sit round in a circle holding hands (We were like that) and the blokes on each end grab the generator terminals while someone turned the handle.

That's probably why I am as I am. ????

We recall using the quick lamp socket test with finger inserted more than once (we did wear shoes).  ????

• Like 1

12 hours ago, billd766 said:

I can remember as a young lad in the RAF using the AVO model 7.

All good old analogue stuff.

Superseded by the Avo 8. I gave mine to my son when I emigrated to Thailand, Still going strong.

I once had a job of insulation testing thousands of ccts. The company insisted we used Avo 8s in preference to Flukes as they were more accurate.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, carlyai said:

Yeah that's the one.

Unfortunately these young whippersnappers of today don't realise we live in an Analogue world.

In our first year we had this big old hand crank ring generator and we used to sit round in a circle holding hands (We were like that) and the blokes on each end grab the generator terminals while someone turned the handle.

That's probably why I am as I am. ????

We used to have a metal circe with 4 propellor blades and some guys would sneak up and discharge a big capacitor across it.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, billd766 said:

We used to have a metal circe with 4 propellor blades and some guys would sneak up and discharge a big capacitor across it.

Charging up small paper capacitors with the insulation tester (500V DC) and then leaving them lying around for unsuspecting apprentices to "fetch for me please" was a favourite trick when I was an apprentice and later when I wasn't :whistling: 

Health and Safety what's that?

I also had some lengths of sleeving with crocodile clips on the end, hours of fun watching the poor lads trying to fault find their circuits.

• Haha 2