Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Thailand to track tourists with digital wristbands

rooster59

10 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I meant: VERY Big Brothers facebook, google etc, and smartphones know exactly where you are, what you like, what you think, what your political preferences are. You gave up your privacy by clicking I ACCEPT. Governments are only small Big Brothers in comparisson.

I know; for that very reason, I do not use Facebook, and I rarely turn on my smartphone. However, the wristband - if they go through with it - is much worse. Not tracking wise but by showing everybody that sees you that you are different and that perhaps they better avoid getting near you. Like if you had a yellow star on your clothes.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Kadilo said:

They havent got a clue. One minute they are suggesting ways of attracting more tourists such as reducing the quarantine period, then next they announce this. 

They really are driving a nail in the already buried coffin. 

Does this mean if you are returning as married to Thai with your children that you will have to wear one of these? 

Sounds like some Chinese electronics company on the STV just sold the illustrious leader a few containers of plastic GPS bands, I wonder if it was Prawit as he likes wearing expensive things on his wrist. 

I hope the batteries will be included as well as a full replacement warranty 

• Like 1

A trio of coronavirus conspiracy theory posts have been removed.

UPDATED NOTICE TO MEMBERS POSTING ON THAIVISA AMID COVID-19 - 25 MARCH 2020

In addition to the guidelines posted below and those detailed in the Thaivisa forum rules and following the announcement that Thai government will invoke emergency powers in order to help deal with the COVID-19 situation in the country, Thaivisa requests members posting on the forum to abide by the following:

Do not post news or any form of content, including video, audio, images, social media posts that contains messages that may cause people to be afraid or intentionally distort information, causing misunderstanding during the COVID-19 pandemic.   

Any posts or topics which our moderation team deems to be scaremongering, deliberately misleading or has been posted to deliberately distort information will be removed without warning. You may also be subject to a posting suspension or have your profile permanently suspended from the site. 

20 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

These devices are full of flaws, they're going to send alarms of low blood pressure, tachycardia, fever all over the place. It's not gonna work. 

*recalls the tablets for all thai students program...how did that work out".....whos making money on these too?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, crazykopite said:

And how many 1000s of baht will the tourist have to pay for this brainless idea the way I see it the tourist leaves the watch in the hotel and goes out for a happy ending 

or even filling the time in your Q room alone...Hmmm his tracker says hes in his room, but it also is sending me a report of elevated heart rate! Knocks on door, opens it up sweating..Hey You..Falang U ok?.errr..I was exercising?

21 hours ago, J Town said:

Wouldn't it be cheaper to tattoo an OCR symbol on their forehead?

Wonder if tourists refuse to come or abide and these go the same route of the "tablets for all students" route..

See these all over 2nd hand phone shops.....50 bt for grandpa tracker...like new..hardly used..death by handy

43 minutes ago, kiwikeith said:

Does this mean if you are returning as married to Thai with your children that you will have to wear one of these? 

Sounds like some Chinese electronics company on the STV just sold the illustrious leader a few containers of plastic GPS bands, I wonder if it was Prawit as he likes wearing expensive things on his wrist. 

I hope the batteries will be included as well as a full replacement warranty 

Im gonna start working on software to hack these and get rich! What happens if you put a barrier between your wrist and the contact surface of the grandpa tracker???  Gonna rub some icy-hot on my wrist in the plane ????

Rightio, are they going to have staff waiting at arrivals to put padlocks on these passengers who know nothing about this extra benefit -who's going to shackle them and keep the key. What if they refuse?

The Thai's do not explain anything-I can see them just saying "hab".

Eagerly awaiting the first reports.

3 minutes ago, justmeagain said:

Rightio, are they going to have staff waiting at arrivals to put padlocks on these passengers who know nothing about this extra benefit -who's going to shackle them and keep the key. What if they refuse?

Then they will not be allowed entry. To get the COE you need to sign a document that includes:

I shall download and use application(s) and/or be subject to the use
of tracking systems as designated by the Thai authorities, for the
purpose of observation and monitoring in respect of COVID-19

• Like 1

Are you able to remove them? leave them in your room? Or will that set off an alarm if you have no heart rate? 

People opposed to wearing a mask are going to love this. People who have left the US because they consider it a Nanny State will have to find another reason to live in Thailand.

22 hours ago, Kadilo said:

They havent got a clue. One minute they are suggesting ways of attracting more tourists such as reducing the quarantine period, then next they announce this. 

They really are driving a nail in the already buried coffin. 

Yes totally agree. This is giving me 2nd thoughts whether to ever come back. I will certainly refuse to wear one

It appears as if the land of smiles has become the land of ....................1984.

This is blatant. In your face.  Why would anyone support such a thing?..........because of a debt that cannot be repaid Economic hit men.China.

This is textbook.

one only needs to consider this for a short time to conclude, this action is by design, and holds no consideration for the well-being of the Thai citizenry or the rebuilding of the economy, in fact it could be argued to affect just the opposite .

The Emperor has no clothes.

Isn’t it a pity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

‘I’ll do anything to get back to Thailand, the country I love, and to help the Thai people recover’ 

mob, but I don’t do that. Or that. Or anything else. And while I’m at it I won’t forget to complain about all the other stuff in the past  like visas, financial security etc.... just another ‘nail in the coffin’ Thailand..... so many nails 

• Like 1

On 10/31/2020 at 7:29 AM, fruitman said:

Wow i've always wanted a wristband like a real criminal....now i sure will come soon thailand!

People on retirement and marriage extensions are treated like real criminals anyway with this ridiculous 90 day reporting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This will be extremely useful for Wesley. G. Barnes; the authorities can track which shop he is buying his Gin from, and which bar or restaurant he is taking it into for consumption, so they can alert him of the corkage charge applicable in whichever establishment he decides to charm with his presence ….. win win    ¯\_()_/¯

Edited by Eloquent pilgrim
spelling error
  • Haha 1

On 10/31/2020 at 7:23 AM, Kadilo said:

Great question under the article:

“ 2 weeks quarantine , then tracking you wherever you go does not really seems to me as a dream vacation.

What happens if I go to Soi 6, or to a relaxing massage and they see my heartrate beating like a helicopter?

They may send a helthcare squad to catch me during action.“

????

Good one, oh happy memories, many a very high happy soi 6 heartbeat.

21 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Another completely missing the point about coronavirus.

Health authorities are not worried about the death rate, although that gets most attention.

It's the sheer contagiousness of coronavirus, coupled with the long-term damage to the lungs in younger people, that has them concerned. How would you like your lung capacity reduced by 60% in the space of a week? It takes years of smoking to do that.

Certainly, it can be cured. Trump is proof of that. But how many people could afford the world-class treatment he got?

Go out on your scooter, and take a deep breath. Be thankful you can still do so.

What about the professional footballers in the UK who got the virus and are now playing again after about four weeks?

• Like 1

On 10/31/2020 at 7:43 AM, RotBenz8888 said:

These devices are full of flaws, they're going to send alarms of low blood pressure, tachycardia, fever all over the place. It's not gonna work. 

True, but loads of cash to be made, I feel sure certain ones are very busy trying to think of other ways to replace some of their lost cash.