Thailand to track tourists with digital wristbands

rooster59

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Thailand to track tourists with digital wristbands

closeup-pictures-women-wearing-digital-smart-watches_37282-394.jpg

File photo

The Thai government has announced plans to track foreign tourists using digital wristbands.

The new wristbands will be introduced from 1 November and will be used as a tool in the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic.

The wristbands track the location of the wearer and are also capable of measuring heart rate, blood pressure and body temperature.

If a body temperature over 37.5c is recorded, an alert will automatically be sent to local health officials. 

122762839_10157551148362050_6941951726616743397_n.jpg

The limited number of foreigners arriving in Thailand as part of the Special Tourist Visa program will be the first to wear the new wristbands. 

It is not known how long foreign tourists would be required to wear the wristband. 

The news comes as the Cabinet this week agreed in principle to allow foreign tourists and crew of yachts to enter Thailand under the Special Tourist Visa program.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-10-31

Preposterous and shameful. 

2 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Going on the pics will it tell you if you've got a tossers hand as well ..

I'm assuming the hidden camera in it will be able to tell if you going at it, by the amount of camera shake.

I wonder if someone has produced an algorithm to work out when they get to the vinegar strokes?

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Flying Saucage said:

So, how many of these devices are they going to order now from their Chinese buddies? 

8 million pieces, or 11 million? Or are they a little bit more optimistic and order already 40 million? ????

Having the bracelet is the easy part. The infrastructure required to track 1000's or millions of these little wonders would be enormous and cost billions. 

But on a happy note, it would employ 10's of thousands so unemployment may look little better......

1 hour ago, 2long said:

This morning I asked / mentioned about this OP not having a credible source of the news. We 'peasant members' have threads removed if they're 'news' without a source.

From what I gather, the only 'news website' on this topic is PattayaNews... 

There was a topic back in September about the plan with Thai Rath as a source:

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else. I am waiting to see this confirmed - whether it is while in quarantine or for the whole stay in Thailand.

I am/was planning to arrive Friday; however, this may mean I stay at home. Hopefully, we get confirmation/more details soon.

Edited by farang51

27 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

They're on a different time zone, speaking Engrish.

I think it's the GMT time zone (but in the 19th century).

Just leave a message saying:

Here Khun farang. Please come pick up br.... envelope.

For exact address, please call back.

They will fall over themselves to call you.

45 minutes ago, Flying Saucage said:

So, how many of these devices are they going to order now from their Chinese buddies? 

8 million pieces, or 11 million? Or are they a little bit more optimistic and order already 40 million? ????

15 trillion. That's the tourist number they expect for next year.

23 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

The wristbands track the location of the wearer and are also capable of measuring heart rate, blood pressure and body temperature. 

George Orwell was wrong.

Will it ring a bell when it is time to go to Immigration again?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rancid said:

Stop bringing actual facts into the debate, it is deadly and we are all gunna die if governments don't save us by enslaving us.

So, I'll give you another fact, these figures aren't percentages, they are actual ratios, look. This implies that, if we let the pandemic run its course, for a UK population of about 9 million geezer 500 000 * 0.7 = 350000 could die. 0.7 is the herd immunity level.

I am sure that's what u want.

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Part of your package tour.  They will double as fitness monitors afterwards and a memento of your fabulous time you had in the LOS with knowing they followed your every movement like a voyeur. 

And once you're back home, the blackmail notices start to arrive.

• Haha 2

I think we're seeing just how East is East and West is West and never the twain shall meet. Asia sees few drawbacks to tracking, keeping under observation, and restricting its people. In the West, this attitude creates rebellion. The funny thing here is that the Thais probably think they are making a reasonable compromise. After all, unlike China they haven't resorted to welding you in your apartment, carting you off to the morgue while you're still alive, or having the drone patrol pick you up and haul you off to jail if you're out during 24/7 curfew. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, poskat said:

if any western tourists were considering coming here,  this 24 hr surveillance will kill that idea

of course, the chinese are used to it, so they wont mind

Don't these devices require to to be tethered to a smart phone to enable any kind of surveillance ?

4 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

Don't these devices require to to be tethered to a smart phone to enable any kind of surveillance ?

For me, the tracking is not a problem if it is in the form of an app on my phone. But when asking me to wear a wristband, they might as well ask me to sow a yellow star om my clothes. Even if ignoring the historical context, it could mean a very different treatment when out amongst the local population.

• Like 1