Cleaning, Polishing waxing and in between - how do you keep the car clean?

Formaleins

If you really want to keep it nice, then wash and waz everytime, there is no other way.

But the best solution is to forget it and then just repaint when needed after 10 years, because whatever you will do during that time, your car will never be perfect anyway.

People spending time and money detailing are in my opinion plain idiots, even if I drive German cars.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2020 at 9:30 PM, JAS21 said:

I used to use Autoglym, last time a friend brought it from the UK for me. Compared to a paint sealant, it is hard work and I was not convinced any better either. YMMV

cost difference?

On 11/3/2020 at 8:48 AM, transam said:

Of course, you can take your ride to a shop, but I would prefer to use my own choice of wax and do the application myself, so I knew it was done properly, the shop is the lazy-mans way. ????

agree ! and shops use the minimum possible product... almost nothing !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

The paint on any modern car seems decent enough

its awful, orange peel  now is  just disgusting, Ford Mazda the worst Ive seen. Mazdas  actually  look matt  finish on side  panels.

Edited by bodga

On 11/4/2020 at 1:16 PM, fredob43 said:

Where I live everything is Thai prices. They have just put their prices up for a full valet to 200bht used to be 150bht. Did all the Thais moan you bet. Now a lot of them only have the small Valet but they don't do under or the engine. I have had to bite the bullet and pay out big time. No one said life would be easy. 

so useful to clean under...

555555+

On 11/4/2020 at 3:49 PM, Airalee said:

For the people saying “clear coat protects the paint”...well...that’s wrong.  Clear coat is paint...just without pigment and can oxidize (and look hazy) just like the color.  

The clear coat can also be damaged by a buffer (if the detailer doesn’t know what he’s doing, which is why you will see swirls (ghosting) in a poorly detailed (polished/waxed) car.  Especially black cars.

I had a sideline detailing business where I only detailed high end cars for physicians.  All done by hand.  Here are my tips.

1.  When wiping, polishing, waxing or doing any touching of your car with a pad or towel, follow the body line and never wipe in circles.

2.  Wash and rinse your towels thoroughly.  I do not recommend cotton terry towels as grit can hide in the loops.  Microfiber is what I used and if a towel ever hit the ground, it went into the trash.  After washing my towels, they went into plastic bags...then to the car, then back into another plastic bag and then to the washing machine.  Any towels that I used to clean a wheel well or any other area with caked on dirt, mud, grit was only used once and then discarded.   For removing the polish (Zymol HD cleanse) and wax (Zymol Vintage glaze) I would use completely different towels than my wash towels and the two would never mix either in a bag or in the washer/dryer.

Take care of your car correctly and your original paint can look like my 25 year old car (since sold to a friend) but granted, I had to spend about 16 hours just polishing it when I first bought it (second hand as a 10 year old car).

5F1ED8AB-887A-42FC-B150-9A62CAA43716.jpeg

no car wash in thailand, for any price, will do such a great work. They just know nothing and seem happy with that !

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, salsajapan said:

no car wash in thailand, for any price, will do such a great work. They just know nothing and seem happy with that !

I dont take  mine to their  car washes, they used to do my old  car, Id watch as they  missed  bits then the drying team would  just go  over it with their drying rags like grit on the paintwork.

• Like 1

I was told be a detailer that he only uses water. He said the "soap" causes those streaks in the paint that kind of look like fine scratches.

I have always wondered why Thais have car ports and not garages. Helps keep the vehicle clean. Years ago I was told Thais like people to see they own a vehicle.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Andy from Kent said:

Begs the question of how much the owner pays 5 men for an  hours work that generates a total of 200 THB.

They are all from Burma that work in the place I use. So I would think around 2/300bht a day. They do get some sort of accommodation??? well at least a roof over their head, and some food, so more than likely 200bht. 

Edited by fredob43
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

They are all from Burma that work in the place I use. So I would think around 2/300bht a day. They do get some sort of accommodation??? well at least a roof over their head, and some food, so more than likely 200bht. 

They are experts at car care then.....????

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, transam said:

They are experts at car care then.....????

You can teach Monkeys to clean cars. Why do they use Burmese well because they work for even less monies than the Thai's do. Some of us (Not Me) even clean cars must tell you something.  

Edited by fredob43
  • Haha 1

On 11/6/2020 at 12:55 PM, fredob43 said:

You can teach Monkeys to clean cars. Why do they use Burmese well because they work for even less monies than the Thai's do. Some of us (Not Me) even clean cars must tell you something.  

you are dreaming, not cheaper, just more reliable than any Thai.

On 11/6/2020 at 10:15 AM, elgenon said:

I was told be a detailer that he only uses water. He said the "soap" causes those streaks in the paint that kind of look like fine scratches.

I have always wondered why Thais have car ports and not garages. Helps keep the vehicle clean. Years ago I was told Thais like people to see they own a vehicle.

you were told so many interesting things ????

2 minutes ago, sncoem said:

you are dreaming, not cheaper, just more reliable than any Thai.

Agree with you they are more reliable than Thais+ they work harder. But have to disagree they don't get same monies, that's why most of the petrol stations have Burmese workers. I do know first hand as one of the Wife family used to work in a Fuel station in BKK and he got sacked because they could get Burmese workers for less monies. 

• Haha 1

Just now, fredob43 said:

Well the place I use, first sprays the car with a liquid cleaner, then they wash it all over with water before using a soap spray. Then it's hand cleaning, they re wash all the suds off, and it goes to another part of the station for it's drying and hand buffing/finishing. Must admit though not all are as good as the one I use. 

Bit more complicated if you have the under done and the engine. 

21 hours ago, fredob43 said:

Agree with you they are more reliable than Thais+ they work harder. But have to disagree they don't get same monies, that's why most of the petrol stations have Burmese workers. I do know first hand as one of the Wife family used to work in a Fuel station in BKK and he got sacked because they could get Burmese workers for less monies. 

I guess that my info is more first hand than you, Pattaya car wash,  salary for all staff is 14000 + tips.

People are dreaming that Khmer and Burmese will work for less.

7 hours ago, sncoem said:

I guess that my info is more first hand than you, Pattaya car wash,  salary for all staff is 14000 + tips.

People are dreaming that Khmer and Burmese will work for less.

14,000+tips someones having you on......no dreamers here Khymer and Burmese are working for far less :thumbsup:

• Haha 1