be very careful about the traffic light in chiangmai

jack1900

On 11/3/2020 at 1:10 PM, NanLaew said:

It is hard to come up with a universal rule of thumb in Thailand as different police jurisdictions can configure the length of the amber light. When I lived in Pattaya,  one could enter the 'box' of a junction just after the amber had turned on and have completely exited the 'box' before it turned red. On relocating back to Udon Thani, I noticed that amber sequences were a whole lot shorter so I adjusted how I "committed" to amber lights, ie. I am more prepared to stop even if it is a harsher stop. I definitely do not put the boot down if it turns amber on me when I am less than 50 yards back. It is tough luck if anyone was riding my back bumper and eats my towbar. The "you stopped to quick!" doesn't hold much water here... and neither will your radiator after my tow ball has gone through it.

My understanding is if you enter the 'box' of a traffic intersection while the light is on amber, you better be out the other side before it turns red. However, with most red-light cameras timed to take a picture A ) when amber turns on and B ) when red turns on, your speed obviously has a lot to do with it too. If it was adjudged that one could not safely stop on the amber but the second picture shows you way, way down the road on the red (as in the traffic ticket pictures in the linked post), then you were probably over the speed limit anyway (just like everyone else).

Here's some calculations for reaction + stopping distance in the dry.

dry.jpg.760419f76cb9e40f4a823c3c14c02afd.jpg

And in the wet:

wet.jpg.11be81ae192d2ba40a30ec2fd3696b59.jpg

I have to go through two major, light-controlled intersections each school day around rush hour. I have no real issues with judging the lights but I am pretty fed up with the impatient drivers that fill up the left-turn filter lanes, making for 3-lanes going ahead on a road designed with 2-lanes. Then they can jump into gaps between slower trucks in the left lane and cut across to the 'fast' lane, making it far slower than it needs to be. Trying to keep the gap between me and the car in front of me too small for the 'push-ins' gets old.

I also got fined for doing a red light, but in lower Isaan. 500 baht is dirt cheap. 

There are countless situations if I'd stop, I'd have the idiot behind me hitting my truck, or my bike.

500 baht is cheaper than getting that fixed. 

On 11/6/2020 at 2:06 AM, Asquith Production said:

Oh now I see, you are one of the sad people who try to wind up others.

It's called trolling. Typically inferiority complex or little man syndrome. This site is full of them. Probably an 'ozzie'. lol. Don't sweat it and move on.

• Like 1