Thailand's "Ten Year Plan" to improve road safety has failed - instead of halving the death toll it's nearly doubled!

webfact

1 minute ago, bodga said:

1. Improving the driving skill and road use behavior of Thais.

Wife had a one hour lesson on a Monday (first time she had ever driven a car)......'passed' her test the very next day...but didn't actually take her test...why?......  it was raining????

No way is she driving by herself until I've spent a good twenty hours teaching her on open, quiet roads.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Maybe if the police here would enforce the laws there would be less accidents. Namely small children on motorbikes, motorbike riders with no helmets, 4 or 5 people on a motorbike, motorbikes and cars speeding on city streets, people driving without licenses, cars that are dangerous and need to be fixed or get off the roads. I could go on and on. It's the wild west out here in Pattaya. I'm not surprised there are lots of accidents. There needs to be some enforcement. There is absolutely none. So when people can do whatever they want on the roads accidents happen. There are also many dangerous intersections that are blind and many that need working traffic lights. The lights are there, but they are either flashing or turned off.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Natai Beach said:

I told them a million times not to exaggerate.

i prefer driving in Thailand than Melbourne. In Melbourne they put speed cameras everywhere, if you go 5 kms over you cop a big fine.  It is over the top. 

I enjoy speeding when it is safe on an empty open road, in Melbourne you have sneaky coppers hiding in bushes with radar. 

I am guilty of having a few beers and driving, I have used my phone when driving, sometimes don’t bother wearing a seatbelt, sometimes can’t be arsed wearing the helmet on the bike, occasionally drive on the wrong side of the road. I have never caused an accident. 
Most of the foreigners here that I know have done the same. 

thai law enforcement is a bit slack, but Melbourne laws are way over the top and mainly about revenue raising. 

Only ever copped a parking fine in Phuket town. Paid out thousands living in Melbourne.

....................because I am a risk to others............................????

2 hours ago, webfact said:

He said that concentrating on festivals (like Songkran and New Year when the issue is highlighted in the media and becomes a fleeting top priority), it needs to be all year round, all encompassing approach. 

Our analysts on TV have made notions of that for years over and over again. Why did nobody listen to them? Why does it need a local doctor to come up with this earth-shattering revelation?

And as per traffic law enforcement... for that you require a police force that actually has an interest in enforcing traffic laws. Which we don't.

Poster Titan1962 (see above) offered a sensible action catalog:

> No license,bike in the back of the truck,issue the ticket to appear in court."

> No helmet,park the bike issue a ticket and walk home or get a helmet delivered or go buy one and get the bike back."

> Drink driving,confiscate the bike or car,cancel the license until court appearance."

Alas, the reality on the ground is rather different:

> No license -- pay between 100 and 500 baht (without receipt, of course) and you'll be on your way

> No helmet -- pay between 100 and 500 baht (without receipt, of course) and you'll be on your way

> Drink driving -- pay between 500 and 1,000 baht (without receipt, of course) and you'll be on your way

You can devise 50- or even 100-year "action plans" and hold another 500 conferences with noted academic speakers. But NOTHING is going to change until the police are actually doing their job and don't accept each and every bribe they can possibly grab with their greasy fingers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Titan1962 said:

The biggest factor contributing to the death toll here is lack of law enforcement. 
Buy a few trucks,set up the road blocks and start pulling over bikes first. No license,bike in the back of the truck,issue the ticket to appear in court. No helmet,park the bike issue a ticket and walk home or get a helmet delivered or go buy one and get the bike back. Drink driving,confiscate the bike or car,cancel the license until court appearance. Have more highway patrol cars on the road actually pulling over dangerous drivers and according to the infringement,park up the car or issue a huge on the spot fine. A better system so the police have access to drivers history,that will determine the course of action taken at the point of being pulled over. 
until that happens,things will not improve.

Can you imagine the change in attitude if they applied these simple adjustments,yes I know it’s Thailand.

totally agree with everything you said

also simple things like overtaking only on the right on all roads will stop lunatics weaving all over the lanes to get past, also slow vehicles stay out of the right hand lane 

introduce roundabouts and block all u-turns, they are just too dangerous

many simple things would make a huge difference 

But, ultimately laws only work if they are properly enforced

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Natai Beach said:

I am guilty of having a few beers and driving, I have used my phone when driving, sometimes don’t bother wearing a seatbelt, sometimes can’t be arsed wearing the helmet on the bike, occasionally drive on the wrong side of the road.

I have never caused an accident. 

But you will... Its just a matter of time...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The biggest factor contributing to the death toll here is lack of law enforcement. 
Buy a few trucks,set up the road blocks and start pulling over bikes first. No license,bike in the back of the truck,issue the ticket to appear in court. No helmet,park the bike issue a ticket and walk home or get a helmet delivered or go buy one and get the bike back. Drink driving,confiscate the bike or car,cancel the license until court appearance. Have more highway patrol cars on the road actually pulling over dangerous drivers and according to the infringement,park up the car or issue a huge on the spot fine. A better system so the police have access to drivers history,that will determine the course of action taken at the point of being pulled over. 

Can you imagine the change in attitude if they applied these simple adjustments,yes I know it’s Thailand.

[Can you imagine the change in attitude if they applied these simple adjustments, yes I know it’s Thailand.]

The [Thai’s] were capable of a block cultural shift to wearing facemarks in a matter of a week or so....  so a change in attitude is possible, provide education and enforcement remains a key factor. 

As always the failings come from the top. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You have the right idea BUT I think before they can do that they need to upgrade the police force.

1.  Pay a wage that is not only minimal but that gives them incentive to want to keep their jobs.

2 Upgrade the requirements to become a police person  (if you pay more you will get better people)

3. Educate them 

4. establish a highway patrol 

5.  Make corruption a criminal offense.  The person that is caught and their supervisor get thrown in jail and automatically are suspended without pay while it is investigated.  Again if a beat cop is making 25,00 a month they are not going to care about a 1000 baht envelope. and if they do they deserve what they get.

The problem though is not just a Thai problem talk to people in most southern Asian countries.  I lived in Pakistan and it was just as bad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Despite the enormity of the situation, resolving it could be achieved, through proper education and law enforcement, but there seems to be neither the will from government to do anything about it, or the desire from the general population either. They seem to be happy to die in numbers as long as they don't have to think or obey laws they don't like. 

accountability is another issue 

The DPM responsible for road safety should be fired, the buck stops with him

• Like 1

Well no surprise then.

The only time it will change,  is when Thai people  want to change.

Fact is they don't want to and are to bloody selfish to change.

Will be the same in 100 years time. 

Edited by quake
  • Like 1

"Dr Thanapong Jinwong said that the "10 year safety campaign" had failed."

Ten year plans are that length so that everyone forgets about them. The good doctor should know this... severely limited attention spans

Heck, any plan that is projected to last longer than a week is suspect.

"What have you done for me lately?" implies the last 5 minutes, not the years I supported you, for example

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

Road safety is just a joke here:-

1. No helmets

2. No tax/insurance

3. No licences (or bought licences)

4. Underage riding

5. No Proper tests

6. No road safety training

7. NO ENFORCEMENT

Hard to think the approach to road safety by the Government could be any worse or inept.

If they had a plan to kill as many people on the roads as possible what they are doing (or not doing) would be a resounding success, that is how bad it is

6 minutes ago, quake said:

Well no surprise then.

It's not as if everyone decides they don’t care about road safety or the risks - that idea is preposterous. 

The attitudes towards safety of the general populace have a lot more to do with innocent ignorance and any perceived selfishness, society is extremely juvenile, like children - so many people are ignorant of the risks they both generate for others and face.

This is where education and all assets policing comes in, this is where Thailand fundamentally fails - not just with road safety, but so many other facets regarding safety; water safety, building safety, electrical safety... and on and on....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Wife had a one hour lesson on a Monday (first time she had ever driven a car)......'passed' her test the very next day...but didn't actually take her test...why?......  it was raining????

No way is she driving by herself until I've spent a good twenty hours teaching her on open, quiet roads.

I know a girl who has been driving a car for a couple of years here, to my surprise she recently praised herself on FB the fact that she had just got her driving licence !!!!!!!!!!!

47 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Roundabouts only work if people know how to use them, i.e. give way to the right before entering, and respect right of way (there's that phrase again).

Roundabouts in Thailand would just result in jams as the idiots try to edge their way forward and cut in. 

that goes hand in hand with enforcement and training, it is no excuse for not introducing a safer way to do things

21 minutes ago, quake said:

Well no surprise then.

They will not change because no regular police presence, daft fines on the rare occasion one gets stopped, daft fine for not passing a driving test and driving on the roads. Young tools can drive a supped up car on basic 600bht insurance. What do the pen pushers expect....????

2 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Disgusting.......No they haven't...what a ridiculous thing to claim.

Plenty of expats out drinking everyday. Most drive home. Spend an afternoon in the bars on the dark side of Pattaya, pretty much everyone drink driving. 

spend an afternoon in Phuket or Samui. You won’t go 20 minutes without seeing foreigners on motorbikes without helmets. And without licenses. As a tourist I did that also. I have licenses now.

Seen farangs riding helmetless  on their phones plenty of times. 

And read news reports of drunken/speeding foreigners killing people on the thai roads. Just google. 

It is more ridiculous to claim farangs don’t and only Thais do. Turn it up.

Edited by Natai Beach

3 minutes ago, transam said:

They will not change because no regular police presence, daft fines on the rare occasion one gets stopped, daft fine for not passing a driving test and driving on the roads. Young tools can drive a supped up car on basic 600bht insurance. What do the pen pushers expect....????

Or maybe, think a  bit outside of the box.

Maybe the government can give all males, a free 1000cc motor bike on there 18th birthday.

After a few year, the roads could be a lot safer.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, quake said:

NO, They know they are doing wrong on the roads.

they just don't give a toss.

I agree, a lot don’t give a toss, a lot of others simply don’t know what they should and shouldn’t be doing because no one has taught them. 

Thailand’s roads are filled by people who have not been trained in any manner or form and have simply learned the rules of the road by copying everyone else.... 

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

I agree, a lot don’t give a toss, a lot of others simply don’t know what they should and shouldn’t be doing because no one has taught them. 

Thailand’s roads are filled by people who have not been trained in any manner or form and have simply learned the rules of the road by copying everyone else.... 

look driving over red lights, driving up the carage way the wrong way.

driving over the speed limit, driving drunk.

sorry , but are you telling me that people in Thailand are that stupid they don't know,  the above is wrong.

Please :jap: