O-A Visa, 76 years old, No Medical Insurance

41 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Is this because of age or pre-existing medical conditions? If the former, then either @Sheryl or @Peter Denismight be able to advise on which, if any, TGIA-approved policies you might be eligible for.

The max age for some TGIA policies is 75 years old for first time applicants and less for others. They can renewed up 99 years old.

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Some offices have waived the insurance requirement for people over 75 due to them not being able to get insurance. Ask immigration about it.

As said if married to or the parent of a Thai you could apply for a extension for that reason and not need insurance.

That's great Joe, I never read that before. I thought I could never go back to the UK for my holidays when the pandemic is over as I would not pay the price for that covid insurance to return back here, so I just hope my wife doesn't divorce me.

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

If you are married to a Thai then change to extendion based on marriage and problem solved.

If not married to a Thai you cannot get the required insurance. Only options:

1. Discuss with immigration and see what they say. In a few locations they have  made exceptions or not enforced the requirement for people over 75.

2. If that fails use an agent.

Start the process early.

So is it the case Sheryl, that if you are married, you would have to be on the marriage extensions? What about those who are married to a Thai and are on retirement extensions?

16 hours ago, BirdieMan said:

I have to renew my Permission to Stay this month in Korat. Will I have a problem renewing it without insurance?

Since the mandatory health insurance requirement came into force on 31st October 2019, I find it puzzling as to why this was apparently not an issue for your previous retirement extension application this time last year, when you were presumably still on the cusp of eligibility for a TGIA-approved policy on age grounds?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BirdieMan said:

I have an O-A Visa, 76 years old and cannot get medical insurance. I have to renew my Permission to Stay this month in Korat. Will I have a problem renewing it without insurance?

https://www.thaivivat.co.th/non-immigrant/?fbclid=IwAR03EJ6Blt8vKnqRJlIPkGF9m-H8VIc7FLS6rLGGh0EhUx8qReiMmmbq_Q0

Remarks :

1. Eligibility requirements for the Thaivivat Health Insurance for Non-Immigrant Visa Plans:
    1. 1.1 All Nationality
    2. 1.2 Main applicant must be between 50 - 75 years of age at first entry, and can then renew for life.
  2. This insurance will not pay the benefits for any sickness during the first 30 days from the first policy commencement date.
  3. This Insurance will not pay any benefits during the first 120 days from the first policy commencement date for the following diseases:
    1. 3.1 Benign or malignant tumor or cancer or cystic mass
    2. 3.2 Hemorrhoids
    3. 3.3 Hernias
    4. 3.4 Pterygium, pinguecula, cataract
    5. 3.5 Tonsillectomy or adenoidectomy
    6. 3.6 Stones
    7. 3.7 Varicose Veins
    8. 3.8 Endometriosis
  4. Pre-existing condition(s), chronic disease(s) or /and HIV, AIDS are not covered under this policy, unless pre-existing/chronic condition has been explicitly accepted in writing at time of application.
  5. Applicant must send the filled out and signed health application form together with a copy of passport for the company's consideration, and premium must be paid before coverage can commence.
  6. The English language used in this table of benefits is merely a translation of the Thai Version.
  7. Other terms, conditions and exclusions subject to the original Health and Personal Accident Insurance Policy wordings.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SPREX said:

https://www.thaivivat.co.th/non-immigrant/?fbclid=IwAR03EJ6Blt8vKnqRJlIPkGF9m-H8VIc7FLS6rLGGh0EhUx8qReiMmmbq_Q0

Remarks :

1. Eligibility requirements for the Thaivivat Health Insurance for Non-Immigrant Visa Plans:
    1. 1.1 All Nationality
    2. 1.2 Main applicant must be between 50 - 75 years of age at first entry, and can then renew for life.
  2. This insurance will not pay the benefits for any sickness during the first 30 days from the first policy commencement date.
  3. This Insurance will not pay any benefits during the first 120 days from the first policy commencement date for the following diseases:
    1. 3.1 Benign or malignant tumor or cancer or cystic mass
    2. 3.2 Hemorrhoids
    3. 3.3 Hernias
    4. 3.4 Pterygium, pinguecula, cataract
    5. 3.5 Tonsillectomy or adenoidectomy
    6. 3.6 Stones
    7. 3.7 Varicose Veins
    8. 3.8 Endometriosis
  4. Pre-existing condition(s), chronic disease(s) or /and HIV, AIDS are not covered under this policy, unless pre-existing/chronic condition has been explicitly accepted in writing at time of application.
  5. Applicant must send the filled out and signed health application form together with a copy of passport for the company's consideration, and premium must be paid before coverage can commence.
  6. The English language used in this table of benefits is merely a translation of the Thai Version.
  7. Other terms, conditions and exclusions subject to the original Health and Personal Accident Insurance Policy wordings.

More here 

https://www.navakij.co.th/page/30049?fbclid=IwAR20S7bQTCfo7-yLfgUGxoPnJ00K9MzV9yfKxWwTtjw3WD0MR6W6AsMPUgs

• Like 1

I just renewed at Korat switching from retired to marriage....insurance was never mentioned. And I did the monthly income extension. Everybody very helpful there. Good luck. If it is your first time with a marriage extension they will probably visit your house, they did for me. Pretty easy, but my wife told me to give them some lunch money.

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

That's great Joe, I never read that before. I thought I could never go back to the UK for my holidays when the pandemic is over as I would not pay the price for that covid insurance to return back here, so I just hope my wife doesn't divorce me.

You are mixing up 2 completely different issues.

1 - Everybody currently applying to re-enter Thailand must meet the CoE requirement of having an insurance policy with 100.000 US $ coverage for medical treatment in Thailand (including treatment of covid-19).  Such insurance is NOT required when already in Thailand  and applying for an extension of stay.

2 - The OP is in the specific case that his 1-year extension based on his Non Imm O-A Visa is due for renewal.  When applying for such 1-year extension for reason of retirement, this requires a Non Imm O-A compliant IO-approved health-insurance policy provided by a Thai insurer.  However at age 76 none of those Thai insurers will accept him for such a policy, and hence it is simply impossible for him to meet that requirement.  In similar cases IO did void that impossible to meet health-insurance requirement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the replies. I should have stated that my O-A visa is based on retirement.
A year or so ago I asked Immigration what the requirement were for marriage visa. One of the requirements was two witnesses from our village. My wife and I were not comfortable with dragging two people down to immigration. So, we decided not to do that.
So last year, I applied for extension on November 1, 1 day after the October 31 deadline. The IO agent approved my extension but said when I get insurance to bring in the paper from the insurance company. But two insurance companies denied me insurance because I had cancer a few years before.
So it seems that I won't need insurance because I'm 76 years old. I remember reading somewhere that several people over 75 applied for an extension and did not need insurance. But I don't know if it was in Korat or not. I'll contact immigration to see what they say.

12 hours ago, BirdieMan said:

So it seems that I won't need insurance because I'm 76 years old. I remember reading somewhere that several people over 75 applied for an extension and did not need insurance. But I don't know if it was in Korat or not. I'll contact immigration to see what they say.

Nothing in the Order from Oct 2019 mentions the age of the applicant wrt the insurance requirement on a retirement extension of an O-A based Permission to Stay.

If you are not pressed to have insurance that is a good result.

3 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

See a visa agency, they might be able to help. Going on your own is a walk into a governmental dungeon ........ 

Yeah, I bet an agent can help your situation -- and probably not for much more than an insurance policy, if available, would cost. In my situation, I was able to get the cheapest TGIA policy from LMG, just at the age cutoff of 75. Next year, my renewal fee will be, at the bare minimum, of 16,900bt., per their advertisement. And, every year after that, presumably an increase.

Anyway, at some point on that train, an agent would become economically superior. Maybe even next year --- I'll have to investigate.

Hey, this is Asia. Corruption is built into the economic models, and often the facilitation benefit outweighs the cost. So, paying an agent to "duck" the insurance requirement -- and paying a commission to Immigration -- gets my vote for where my corruption premium is payed: anything to thwart those corrupt TGIA insurance pukes from heading to the Mercedes dealer.

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

.... In my situation, I was able to get the cheapest TGIA policy from LMG, just at the age cutoff of 75. Next year, my renewal fee will be, at the bare minimum, of 16,900bt., per their advertisement. And, every year after that, presumably an increase.

Anyway, at some point on that train, an agent would become economically superior. Maybe even next year --- I'll have to investigate.

When your current Non Imm O-A Visa based permission to stay is due to expire, you could - when borders are open again - do a border-run and return VisaExept.  Then apply at your local IO for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, and in the last month of those 90 days apply for the 1-year extension of that Non Imm O Visa.

The requirements for the 1-year extension of stay based on an orignal Non Imm O-A Visa for reason of retirement, or for that new Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement are IDENTICAL.  The only difference being that the Non Imm O does NOT require that mandatory Thai IO-approved health-insurance requirement.

When prolonging your current LMG Insurance Plan-1 policy that would cost you 16.900 THB, while the border-run followed by a VisaExempt entry and application for the Non Imm O Visa would cost you:

- fee for Visa on arrival in the 'border-run' destination country (35 US $ in  Cambodia)

- transportation to/from the border

- application fee for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa (1.900 THB)

> from then on costs/admin are exactly same for 1-year extension of stay of Non Imm O-A or Non Imm O.

So worth considering switching to a Non Imm O Visa, once the border-situation allows that.

Since you are married to a Thai the easiest solution would be just to extend based on marriage.

What Imm office do you use? Are you sure the 2 witness requirement will be every year and not just one time?  (it is common in such cases to ask the Village Chief and then give him a small gift afterwards). Most people do nto seem to have to do this.

Otherwise, though it is impossible for you to get one of the govt approved insurance policies, it is still required and you are left having to hope Imm will waive the requirement either directly for you or via an agent.

• Like 1

My retirement visa is due for renewal next week, last year I was not asked about any insurance requirement si it will be interesting to see what they say.

If you are coming up to the age barrier of 75 it might be worth taking up this offer if it will g'tee you up to 99, the unknown factor here being the future premiums. 

A further question someone might answer as a lot of us ex-pats take an annual trip home in normal times would this insurance scheme combine with a re-entry permit to allow entry back into Thailand?

7 minutes ago, nong38 said:

My retirement visa is due for renewal next week, last year I was not asked about any insurance requirement si it will be interesting to see what they say.

If you are coming up to the age barrier of 75 it might be worth taking up this offer if it will g'tee you up to 99, the unknown factor here being the future premiums. 

A further question someone might answer as a lot of us ex-pats take an annual trip home in normal times would this insurance scheme combine with a re-entry permit to allow entry back into Thailand?

You wrote (I translate) that your current extension of stay based on your original Non Imm O or O-A Visa is up for renewal for reason of retirement.

If the original Visa on which you entered Thailand was a Non Imm O Type, there is NO need for any insurance when applying for the 1-year extension.  That is only required when you entered Thailand on a Non Imm O-A Visa and are now applying for the 1-year extension for reason of RETIREMENT.

When applying for any other reason (marriage, Thai dependent child, etc.) there is also NO need for any insurance.

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

... it is common in such cases to ask the Village Chief ...

We asked him for a few lines to confirm our identity.

And he confirmed too that my wife's mother would agree with me living in their house...

(perhaps this had to be reconfirmed by the amphoe? - some time ago)

OK, a bit crazy, but just try.

More than 75 years old - in the IMO of Mae Hong Son the officer didn't ask me for a health insurence document. Within 14 years there have been only 2 officers doing their job for my annual extensions. Both with a common sense!

Maybe you can change your home-/address .... on the paper, if you have a family member or friend here in the province.