Thailand’s deadly roads: 72 people killed on Monday, almost 12,000 killed this year

webfact

So many people in Thailand, and even in most places of the world, drive like idiots,

or worse. The law enforcement have to do a much better job of enforcing the laws.

Until then the third world countries like Thailand, and some others will not change

in our life time.  In Canada it is against the law to ride in the back of pickups or

trucks, since the 70s. There is even fines for riding in a car without seat belts.

Thailand has to get modern if it wants to leave the 3rd world status, and I do

not see that happening.

Geezer

• Like 1

When Sweden decided that they would drive on the wrong side of the road (back in the 1960s) by changing from the left-hand side (as in civilised countries such as Thailand and the UK), to the right-hand side,  they put a very strict speed limit for several weeks (or months ?)  so that any accidents would be very minor. I can't remember what the limit was (20 km/h to start ?).    Thailand needs to do something similar then they would see how many lives can be saved.

I know it will never happen.  Just thought I'd thow a different idea into the discussion

• Like 1

14 hours ago, webfact said:

The pick-up, in the far right lane, was propelled onto its side spilling the workers into the path of a 10 wheel truck carrying 40 tons of metal mesh.

Exactly! Overloaded / under braked pick up truck blocking the passing lane. TIT 

• Like 1

When you see kids riding bikes amongst traffic as young as 10 no helmets and 4 on bike you might as well hang a sign around their necks saying "Please kill me" The keystone cops are nowhere in sight that is the problem

Saw one the cop sitting at set of lights the other day reading a book  Why was he sitting at the lights? They are automatic are they not? He had no intention of grabbing the ones that went through the red lights because plenty did that right before his eyes

• Like 1

And we all know that the death toll shown is far from the actually number, as it only count persons dead at the scene.
Like to know the number inc.  persons dead within 3 month after, because of injuries from a accident.

Would also be interesting to know how many get severely injured for life, because of traffic accidents.
With the amount of accidents involving motorbikes with driver and passengers without helmet, there must be some with sewer head injuries, where the person nearly would be better off being dead.

After getting caught in the holiday traffic in Thailand a couple of time and seeing a few people run over I vowed to never drive on a holiday again. I would check into a hotel and wait it out. 

It is carnage that has got to be seen to believe.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, shady86 said:

The authorities must be very proud of this remarkable achievement.

Do you mean police? These figures will not come down until RTP is given encouragement to work.  Extra baht every time the weekly casualties drop below an agreed figure.  Deductions for every new corpse.  Speed kills and this is easily combatted by cameras then stern measures.

15 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Do you mean police? These figures will not come down until RTP is given encouragement to work.  Extra baht every time the weekly casualties drop below an agreed figure.  Deductions for every new corpse.  Speed kills and this is easily combatted by cameras then stern measures.

The Police are too busy with their extra-curricular activities, their nightlife businesses, gambling dens, restaurants, shakedowns, extortion and even hired guns.

There was a survey recently that found 70% of traffic police didn't even know about the Thai highway code.

This indicates it's not about the Police being poorly paid, but having other priorities.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, vandeventer said:

The thing that almost killed me yesterday while riding on my bike, was a truck in front of me making a right hand turn. As he was turning he is indicating at the same time and I happen to be passing him. It was a good think I was on my cbr650 which I managed to get in front of him. This happens much to often, they indicate and turn at the same time no 50ft warning.

They lack many of the basic skills and habits that make for a competent driver.

They have not received any proper training and the test is nothing more than a joke.

Most of them have been taught by a mate and pick up all bad habits.

I would conservatively suggest 70% of them are not able to operate a motor vehicle correctly.

Sad to say but there's no fixing this, they simply do not have the ability or will to fix this disgraceful problem so it will continue in perpetuity. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, keith101 said:

More people on the road every year equals more accidents and deaths , so the death toll is never going to come down unless you remove every unlicensed and under age driver/rider and commit to proper training and not testing just in the DLT carpark .

I'm not joking when say, You forgot to mention the over-aged people.....

14 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

The likely death toll each year has been admitted to be in excess of 20,000 by deputy PM Prawit Wongsuwan in 2018.

Did he dream the numbers or were they from his fortune teller?

Nobody here really knows any real numbers about anything. And that's not Thai bashing, it's just how all here works.

How many innocent bystanders and drivers/riders got killed who had absolutely nothing to do with it?

Please be careful these weeks, the dogs are in heat and almost everywhere on each road, Soi, etc. It's wise not to ride a bike now, or at least very slowly.

Dino.jpg

At least you're safe where you are in quarantine, unless some orange comes rushing in. lol