Three labourers crushed by truck after pickup carrying them overturns

webfact

By THE NATION

800_a437265f7394eec.jpg?v=1604304132

Three labourers were crushed to death in Bangkok by a trailer truck when the pickup truck carrying them flipped over on Monday.

The labourers were flung out on the road on the path of an approaching trailer truck.

Taling Chan Police Station was informed at 9.30am about the accident on Kanchanaphisek Road, about 200 metres before the Chimphli Junction.

Six people suffered injuries and were sent to a nearby hospital. It is not clear yet if all the nine victims were travelling in the pickup.

The accident caused a traffic jam on Monday morning. Police advised people to avoid the road and take alternative routes.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30397191

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-11-02

• Sad 2

15 hours ago, samsensam said:

to be honest i'm not sure there is such a law in thailand. i recall the a couple of years ago the government tried to ban people being carried in the back of pick ups but there was, bizarrely, a public outcry and the populist government backed down. mostly it seems to be low paid workers being transported in such a way by employers not prepared to buy/rent appropriate vehicles to transport their 'low class' employees. money before safety.

Actually the LAW was never revoked it was just never enforced due to the outcry, and it wasn't a populist government it was the same corrupt one Thailand has today.  

The law was suspended because of the Songkran festival after much public outcry and now the RTP are too lazy to enforce it, probably no tea money in it

• Like 1

Went to Central Plaza Westgate yesterday. Kanchanaphisek's southbound lanes were a parking lot.

Fortunately, we were using the MRT.

This was 11am, about 10 kilometers from the scene. 

kanch.jpg

Edited by Curt1591

14 hours ago, NeoDinosaw said:

the pickup truck carrying them flipped over on Monday.

should read ' the driver flipped the pickup truck over ......'

I believe the truck was involved in an accident, causing the flip. 

19 hours ago, samsensam said:

to be honest i'm not sure there is such a law in thailand. i recall the a couple of years ago the government tried to ban people being carried in the back of pick ups but there was, bizarrely, a public outcry and the populist government backed down. mostly it seems to be low paid workers being transported in such a way by employers not prepared to buy/rent appropriate vehicles to transport their 'low class' employees. money before safety.

Got it in one... 

Obviously sympathy for the families of the 3 guys, but cannot be easy for the truck driver that I assume from the article then ran over them and presumably added to their injuries.

Similar to train drivers who hit suicide victims on railway tracks. Not easy to live with if you have any conscience.  Not all Thai drivers are crazy and irresponsible.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, webfact said:

There's suppose to be a Law  that says that No people are allowed to be  carried in the cargo area. 

A Law that's Not Enforced  that's why so many people getting Killed in Ute  & Flat bed truck  Accidents..

38 minutes ago, digger70 said:

There's suppose to be a Law  that says that No people are allowed to be  carried in the cargo area. 

There's suppose to be a Law  that says that No people are allowed to be  carried in the open cargo area. ?

Just asking.

21 hours ago, ukrules said:

If only there was some kind of law which required people to sit in an actual seat and wear a seat belt.

Oh wait, there is, they just choose to ignore it with zero enforcement ????

The list just released of new traffic fines has only one relating to seat belts: that the driver must wear one. No mention of passengers, front or back, oddly. Another one requires all motorbike passengers to wear a helmet.. And I can't wait to see the new 'must pull over if another vehicle signals they want to pass' regulation being enforced ????.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

There's suppose to be a Law  that says that No people are allowed to be  carried in the open cargo area. ?

Just asking.

Under Thai law, the beds of pickup trucks are reserved for cargo, not humans.Apr 5, 2017   

Under Thai law, the beds of pickup trucks are reserved for cargo, not humans. Yet many Thais install camper shells – called cap – for use by passengers. Nearly everyone does it – from families going on holidays to police patrols and soldiers fighting insurgents in the Deep South.

A Bitter Pill

Sanit said things have to change because it’s unsafe for passengers in the event of an accident, as there are no seatbelts in pickup truck beds.

“When there are accidents, there are many losses,” Sanit said. “What can be done to improve safety, we should do. We must help each other and cooperate with the laws.”

Edited by digger70
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, a977 said:

Actually the LAW was never revoked it was just never enforced due to the outcry, and it wasn't a populist government it was the same corrupt one Thailand has today.  

The law was suspended because of the Songkran festival after much public outcry and now the RTP are too lazy to enforce it, probably no tea money in it

Same as license not checked helmet laws not enforced and many other laws not enforced except to pad brown envelopes 

22 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:
22 hours ago, NanLaew said:

...who (still) can't speak Thai.

If that is directed at me, someone you don't know and as far as I know have never met - I am sure I can do plenty of things that you can't. Some people have an aptitude for languages, some have talents that lay in another direction. I've done pretty well with the talents I do have.

I have absolutely no doubt that in your mind you do plenty of things that I may not feel the need to do and that you have done pretty well.

Meanwhile, I have the aptitude to follow a short chain of posts and know when my chain is NOT being pulled.

21 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

What's are you getting at here?

If someone can speak Thai they can break the law? 

I can speak Thai quite well by the way, in case you were for some reason referring to me.

Nothing at all to do with you or the other chap's self-proclaimed, unverifiable and thus irrelevant claims to Thai linguistic abilities. It was what may have been your initial, casual inference to the popular myth that farangs get stitched up by the cops here more than the locals do.

In retrospect, you may simply have been suggesting that farangs here are more law abiding? Since the subject matter solely relates to the road traffic laws here and not higher crimes and misdemeanors, I reckon if you've been here long enough to get a decent handle on the language, you have a similarly sized handle on how to break the road traffic laws and not get caught.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/2/2020 at 5:12 PM, NeoDinosaw said:

the pickup truck carrying them flipped over on Monday.

should read ' the driver flipped the pickup truck over ......'

Where did it report that the driver was to blame, not a mechanical malfunction or something out of the driver's control?

Edited by Legendary Monkey

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Nothing at all to do with you or the other chap's self-proclaimed, unverifiable and thus irrelevant claims to Thai linguistic abilities. It was what may have been your initial, casual inference to the popular myth that farangs get stitched up by the cops here more than the locals do.

In retrospect, you may simply have been suggesting that farangs here are more law abiding? Since the subject matter solely relates to the road traffic laws here and not higher crimes and misdemeanors, I reckon if you've been here long enough to get a decent handle on the language, you have a similarly sized handle on how to break the road traffic laws and not get caught.

Sorry, still don't get your point.

Never mind. 

I meant that the laws are all there...but seems that they are applied differently to Thais than to farangs quite often....although not all the time.

Nothing to do with speaking Thai, or how long someone has lived here, or that I am trying to break laws and not get caught. 

3 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

but seems that they are applied differently to Thais than to farangs quite often....

That's the myth that's thankfully getting easier to dispel. From what I read here, most of the farang's that complain about being unfairly busted are the helmetless ones on bikes who claim the cops let Thai's doing the same go unpunished. Then there are the ones that complain about being caught in a radar speed rap but happily admit they were doing the same speed as Somchai who allegedly wasn't stopped. While they play the victim card, the factual bit about being caught breaking the law seems to be totally lost on them.