Living the life as an expat in Thailand

webfact

3 hours ago, rumak said:

I still think most "retirees"  have spent too much time playing it safe,  using their time to chase money instead of experiences and adventure.    Maybe they are more comfortable in old age..... but i would not trade the years when i was healthy and enjoying freedom.    

Of course,  a balance is always a good thing ,  but look at the lives of sooooo many.   I would rather be on the beach with that fisherman. 

Your not wrong IMHO ????

It has always amazed me that many folks I see continue to sell the one thing they cannot buy at any price....Their Time

Also as you say there is a balance & in my case I always knew by X age I wanted home base to be safe like in baseball ????

I made sure by a certain age (55 in my case) I was paid off & had no bills. This made life quite simple just needing basics

About that fisherman story I had the exact same realization many decades ago I was in the mountains & wondered what it would be like if I were rich.

I realized there & then I would be doing exactly what I was doing at that moment & suddenly realized in that sense I was already rich ????

• Like 2

Just now, meechai said:

Also as you say there is a balance & in my case I always knew by X age I wanted home base to be safe like in baseball ????

I made sure by a certain age (55 in my case) I was paid off & had no bills.

This only works for single men, living alone.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Typical xenophobic response. Those that try and make an issue out of corruption here in Thailand are so narrow minded they cannot see the bigger picture, they don't see interference in another countries affairs as corruption. The biggest talking point in the world at the moment is a corrupt administration. Boris Johnson has corrupted the EU withdrawal agreement.

Doing something for a favour is a global practice that many are more than happy with when it suits, unfortunately selective corruption is not an option.

As far as the dogs are concerned, years ago they were culled but western do gooders put a stop to it. The government have taken measures but it was never going to be an overnight solution and I suspect the current situation has removed what resource was available.

Despite your claim, Thailand is not awash with money, they have limited resources and borrowing capacity as determined by GDP.

Thank you very much for a frank and accurate post.

Very few people can accept that corruption is a trait existing in the human DNA, without any exception.

Some are corrupt openly, others resort to diplomacy - but it is corruption, in the end.

Any human being entrusted with power, will definitely abuse that privilege in varying degrees - favouring their friends and punishing whom they dislike... just for personal gain.

Look at the world news at this very moment, the worlds #1 nation is finding it difficult to select their leader! Why? What is the reason?

Not all uniforms are worn by Generals - speaks volumes!

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/4/2020 at 10:45 PM, Scot123 said:

What I would say is Thailand is a beautiful paradise when under civilian rule

LOL. The only decent civilian rule, IMO, was when Chuan Leekpai was PM. The others were all <deleted> IMO. Thaksin was the worst of all, IMO. That's only 7 years it was a paradise, IMO, but it really was paradise. Seems like an eternity ago. Sad what Thaksin did to the country- never recovered IMO.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, meechai said:

I made sure by a certain age (55 in my case) I was paid off & had no bills.

I get a kick out of the obviously new to the game guys that come here wanting to play baseball but

forgot to bring any balls........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rumak said:

I still think most "retirees"  have spent too much time playing it safe,  using their time to chase money instead of experiences and adventure.    Maybe they are more comfortable in old age..... but i would not trade the years when i was healthy and enjoying freedom.    

Of course,  a balance is always a good thing ,  but look at the lives of sooooo many.   I would rather be on the beach with that fisherman.  

Vertical Recreation Towers : crowded cities

52 here so I still have 17 years until I can officially retire if I want my full pension here, so waiting for that is not an option, plus my gf is older than me, so the clock is ticking. 

Instead I hope that we can put away enough money and then selling our two appartments and my stocks will be enough to jump off the hamsterwheel in maximum 10 years. Hopefully before. 

You might say it's playing it safe, but I wouldn't know what to do if we moved now and ran out of funds in 20 years. I'm not ready to buy a robe and find a tree at age 72.

On the other side it could maybe give us 20 wonderful years that we might not get if we wait. 

Arghhhh it's a paradox...... 

7 minutes ago, Virt said:

52 here so I still have 17 years until I can officially retire if I want my full pension here, so waiting for that is not an option, plus my gf is older than me, so the clock is ticking. 

Instead I hope that we can put away enough money and then selling our two appartments and my stocks will be enough to jump off the hamsterwheel in maximum 10 years. Hopefully before. 

You might say it's playing it safe, but I wouldn't know what to do if we moved now and ran out of funds in 20 years. I'm not ready to buy a robe and find a tree at age 72.

I don't know anyone in Thailand that made it past 70, all dead, and at 65 I doubt I'll make 70.

Came here at age 52 ....... it was the right time for me ...... still young enough to enjoy banging and boozing.

Forget being 72, chances are you'll be dead by then.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I don't know anyone in Thailand that made it past 70, all dead, and at 65 I doubt I'll make 70.

Came here at age 52 ....... it was the right time for me ...... still young enough to enjoy banging and boozing.

Forget being 72, chances are you'll be dead by then.

I would think one would becone older as there would be no stress, and you could do whatever you wanted each day. 

Drinking is the problem? 

Edit: not that I don't drink myself. Worked as a chef for 22 years so alcohol has been a large part of my life. I just have this weird dream, that if I moved to Thailand I would start living more healthy and start exercising each day just to have something to do and not just sit around drinking each day. Maybe I'm just naive ????

Edited by Virt

2 hours ago, Virt said:

I would think one would becone older as there would be no stress, and you could do whatever you wanted each day. 

Drinking is the problem? 

Edit: not that I don't drink myself. Worked as a chef for 22 years so alcohol has been a large part of my life. I just have this weird dream, that if I moved to Thailand I would start living more healthy and start exercising each day just to have something to do and not just sit around drinking each day. Maybe I'm just naive ????

Wow, did you ever get that wrong! Putting up with ageism in the supermarket, wondering if one has enough to pay the Dr, wondering when the heart attack or the stroke is going to happen- oh life as an oldie is just a barrel of laughs.

I just have this weird dream, that if I moved to Thailand I would start living more healthy and start exercising each day just to have something to do ....................................... Maybe I'm just naive

You got it right in the last sentence.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Doesn't matter, I cycle 20Km most days, but at 65 my body is still failing me.

I'm the healthiest person my age that I know, but I'm still half the man I was at age 62.

Your 60s is a steep downward decline, with absolutely nothing you can do to stop it.

If you're not dead by 70, you probably won't be having much fun in the years beyond that.

70+

It's a life of aching joints, sexual dysfunction, mobility problems, increasing dementia and not being able to wee properly.

I had the most amazing of times in my 50s.

Bit pessimistic, I am 73 and don't see that description. I did have aching joints for a bit but cured that with a new mattress.

I first came in 99 when I was 52, yes amazing times, 2/3 visits a year to Pattaya. If you tried to keep that up you may well be right and burned out by 70. Got married and came to live here 2008 and settled for a quieter rural life but still fairly active.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'm the healthiest person my age that I know, but I'm still half the man I was at age 62.

Your 60s is a steep downward decline, with absolutely nothing you can do to stop it.

If you're not dead by 70, you probably won't be having much fun in the years beyond that.

70+

It's a life of aching joints, sexual dysfunction, mobility problems, increasing dementia and not being able to wee properly.

Pretty good parallel to my path so far   ????       Yes,  50's was amazing .  I nicknamed my "gf's"...

which often ran concurrently

.   there was mountain girl,  psycho ,  and black magic woman ( buriram).

The OP is 52 so he is gonna miss it all with his plan.   My Swiss friend speaks great Thai , worked till retirement before retiring here around 65 .   Just in time for shingles, pacemaker, and declining health.   Ah,,,, but plenty of money each month !

So bm2.... you now know Rumak.  Still alive at 70 this year !   The physical aspects do decline, starting in the 60's mostly.   And so I repeat...... i am very happy to have come here for good around  40 .  Lived a full life , not always easy...... but that is the trade off.   The OP and many others stuck with playing it safe.    Maybe they will have some regrets when they are spending those golden years going to doctors.  

keep on going old man  .     you might make 70 yet

And where is mrs rumak ?    she was up in a tree earlier today .   I think i put the ladder away......20201106_094456.thumb.jpg.e37b0874e6b4c4ff575e82424dd87b69.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

70+

Lighten up,with a happy go lucky attitude like that,you,ll live for ever,

5 hours ago, Virt said:

Which is why we would love to stay in a Thailand. I can only imagine that the warmer climate is better for aging bodies compared to colder climates. 

You tend to die before getting to hospital, when you probably wouldn't have died in your home country.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

You tend to die before getting to hospital, when you probably wouldn't have died in your home country.

And now the end is near and i must face my final curtain......as one journeys through life,always remember to start with a joke,and finish with a song.

On 11/6/2020 at 9:33 AM, sandyf said:

Typical xenophobic response. Those that try and make an issue out of corruption here in Thailand are so narrow minded they cannot see the bigger picture, they don't see interference in another countries affairs as corruption. The biggest talking point in the world at the moment is a corrupt administration. Boris Johnson has corrupted the EU withdrawal agreement.

Doing something for a favour is a global practice that many are more than happy with when it suits, unfortunately selective corruption is not an option.

As far as the dogs are concerned, years ago they were culled but western do gooders put a stop to it. The government have taken measures but it was never going to be an overnight solution and I suspect the current situation has removed what resource was available.

Despite your claim, Thailand is not awash with money, they have limited resources and borrowing capacity as determined by GDP.

I do not have 'an aversion or hostility to, disdain for, or fear of foreigners, people from different cultures, or strangers'. I have lived here peaceably for sixteen years; married a Thai; schooled two step-daughters; taught for free in schools; I have been robbed three times by Thai police which may have coloured my corruption perception. 

I have not checked the Forbes Rich index lately but remember there was an inordinate number of Thai families up there.  The money is there for all sorts of schemes; in many countries Income tax is used to fund improvements like culling dogs.  I can't believe Thais listened to farang objections in this area or any other.

19 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I do not have 'an aversion or hostility to, disdain for, or fear of foreigners, people from different cultures, or strangers'.

I freely admit to having an aversion and disdain for almost everyone in the world.

Not much hostility or fear though.

And why not?

6 hours ago, mikebell said:

I do not have 'an aversion or hostility to, disdain for, or fear of foreigners, people from different cultures, or strangers'. I have lived here peaceably for sixteen years; married a Thai; schooled two step-daughters; taught for free in schools; I have been robbed three times by Thai police which may have coloured my corruption perception. 

I have not checked the Forbes Rich index lately but remember there was an inordinate number of Thai families up there.  The money is there for all sorts of schemes; in many countries Income tax is used to fund improvements like culling dogs.  I can't believe Thais listened to farang objections in this area or any other.

Dogs became an international embarrassment to the Thai government. Maybe you should ask Dame Judi to come and resolve your problem with dogs, not a problem around here, we have 10 dogs and about 60 cats.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/ricky-gervais-and-dame-judi-dench-back-campaign-stop-thailand-dog-meat-trade-9818198.html

On 11/4/2020 at 1:18 PM, 4MyEgo said:

5 down 15 to go, if I make it.

Almost 19 down, ? to go. 

BTW, it's nonsense that the first twenty years are good. It all depends on with whom you are.

There are people who can't even make a year full. Buffaloes are sick, mom's got a new bypass in her brain, brother's motorbike is too old and similar stories. 

My partner is cool, I have some friends and I can speak some Thai and Isaan.

Got a bigger bike, a truck and the ability to fix a lot of stuff. I've used free time to learn new skills and even fixed our fridge and one air-conditioner by myself. 

But if you have nothing of above, then it might be very different always trying to please somebody.

Or paying your own wife for sex without even knowing it.

Edited by teacherclaire
The next lottery numbers are 23782 and....? lol
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, jaideedave said:

To :" Brit man 2" I can identify with most you say. I first stepped foot here in 1990 and retired here in 2004.Worked at the same smelly pulp&paper mill in Canuckville for 30 yrs for the pension.Worked on/off O&G after I retired and bought a nice little 2 BR bungalow in Pattaya.Probably the smartest thing I've done of late.

Rode my Harley till I was about 67 yo. Often wondered how I would pick it up if it fell over.

Had a quad bypass 10 years ago , turning 70 next month . Still kicken but with a little less enthusiasm.lol

The "old boot" still loves me and my (ATM card) cheers everyone!

Get your ar_e back on a bike.