Youtube Unblocked

Veazer

I just noticed it's back, let's hope it stays.

Veazer, you need a bigger keyboard or smaller fingers :o If you meant youtube, I've just tried and can't open it. It just 'times out'

Anyone else having any luck?

geoffphuket

Also still blocked TOT Jomtien. So what ISP has it unblocked? Maybe a fluke.

Still blocked get some ministry of somewhere or something page!

:o

Same here. True Hi-Speed in Bangkok

Maybe veazer isn't in Thailand :D

:D

youtube wont be available for a long time:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/tops...s.php?id=118515

Reading this story in the Bangkok Post, The Ministry for the big eye, intends to start legal action against youtube and its owners, Google.

It is an interesting read.

"This YouTube issue is about a private firm in the US trying to bully a small country like Thailand," Mr Sitthichai said. (BANGKOK POST)

I think it is time to find a new search engine.

My feeling is that we may not be able to access Google for to much longer...

Edited by Aussietraveller

Still available for me... maxnet service in chiang mai, no proxy.... All doubters may head out into the rain and check at my house provided they bring me a sandwich from Lanna cafe. Chicken on foccacia please.

I'm using opendns servers, might be related. ( 208.67.222.222 / 208.67.220.220 )

youtube wont be available for a long time:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/tops...s.php?id=118515

Reading this story in the Bangkok Post, The Ministry for the big eye, intends to start legal action against youtube and its owners, Google.

It is an interesting read.

"This YouTube issue is about a private firm in the US trying to bully a small country like Thailand," Mr Sitthichai said. (BANGKOK POST)

I think it is time to find a new search engine.

My feeling is that we may not be able to access Google for to much longer...

Though non-elected, the government was more democratic, he said.

and there you have the local definition of democracy :o

Still available for me... [snip] service in chiang mai, no proxy.... All doubters may head out into the rain and check at my house provided they bring me a sandwich from Lanna cafe. Chicken on foccacia please.

I'm using opendns servers, might be related. ( 208.67.222.222 / 208.67.220.220 )

Thanks for the update, though you may find it gone soon. The openDNS setting have little effect on this, since the proxy should catch the request anyway. This is an example of the reality here, that 'blocking' is not a centralised 'little firewall of Thailand' approach but is distributed across nodes including ISP's who are advised to comply.

Regards

PS may want to elide you post :o sorry just checked time stamp and guess you edit time has run out.

/edit sorry .. //

Edited by A_Traveller

...The openDNS setting have little effect on this, since the proxy should catch the request anyway.

I was reasonably sure it wouldn't be the cause of my unblocking, but I do remember a time when a 'blocked' website meant simply having to type the numerical IP address instead.

OTOH, perhaps your mention of decentralized blocking is related to this. Someone who didn't know how to properly block it might have just blackholed it in DNS.

Mr Sitthichai, meanwhile, denied the government had violated media freedom, saying it blocked only 16 websites as opposed to 9,000 websites banned by the previous government.

Though non-elected, the government was more democratic, he said.

Now that's really funny :o

Edited by alexth

...The openDNS setting have little effect on this, since the proxy should catch the request anyway.

I was reasonably sure it wouldn't be the cause of my unblocking, but I do remember a time when a 'blocked' website meant simply having to type the numerical IP address instead.

OTOH, perhaps your mention of decentralized blocking is related to this. Someone who didn't know how to properly block it might have just blackholed it in DNS.

In fact, the numerical get round was an example of the original by site approach. This had advantages in that if a site was virtually hosted, as many are, a block would not bring down all other sites on the IP address, the dual process now means that any virtual site banned kills the others.

Recent experience has shown the use of a range of addresses, which have the collective id of 'Black Hole', I kid you not. Remember that DNS only reconciles the address/IP, the request from the browser will still hit the transparent proxy. The advantage of OpenDNS is that it is less likely to have been 'improved' by local attention, but in and of itself it will not prevent the Transparent Proxy {of which there are a number, at the international connexion and at the ISP level} actions.

Regards

Mr Sitthichai, meanwhile, denied the government had violated media freedom, saying it blocked only 16 websites as opposed to 9,000 websites banned by the previous government.

Why is it that barefaced lies do not lead to loss of face in Thaispeak? :o

Why is it that barefaced lies do not lead to loss of face in Thaispeak? :o

I'll join the que awaiting THAT answer .....................

My wife got an email from a friend in LOS. It was with pictures of past links regarding the Thai monarchy. She was not impressed. Why do people do that? She said. My answer was that some farang are ######ed up and some people who have never been to Thailand jump on the bandwagon. ######ing idiots.

Edited by Jockstar

Why is it that barefaced lies do not lead to loss of face in Thaispeak? :D

Dear Leader Sittichai also said that he is all for freedom of information, he loves it. Except where national security is concerned. In the same sentence he also mentioned that any criticism of the government endangers national security. I am happy there's someone looking out for us and protecting us from bad influences. :o

My wife got an email from a friend in LOS. It was with pictures of past links regarding the Thai monarchy. She was not impressed. Why do people do that? She said. My answer was that some farang are ######ed up and some people who have never been to Thailand jump on the bandwagon. ######ing idiots.

I'd go with that. A bit of a western-based "moral crusade" that's somewhat lacking in a clue.

Despite its popularity, I haven't seen YouTube making many right moves since Google acquired it. As bartender100 stated, another lawsuit is in the post...