Five returnees test positive to Covid-19, death toll rises to 60

webfact

By The Nation

800_f64a0d8f604b071.jpg?v=1604640778

The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) reported eight new cases in state quarantine facilities and one death over a 24-hour period on Friday.

All patients are returnees and most were asymptomatic, namely:

• A 68-year-old Swiss financial expert, who arrived on October 22 and checked into an alternative state quarantine hotel in Bangkok where he tested positive on November 4.

• A 36-year-old Indian tailoring shop owner, who arrived on October 23 and checked into Bangkok alternative state quarantine, where he was found positive on November 4.

• A 56-year-old Thai woman who returned from Saudi Arabia on October 24 and tested positive in a Bangkok state quarantine hotel on November 3.

• A 41-year-old Thai masseuse who returned from Ukraine on October 31 and tested positive in a Bangkok state quarantine hotel on November 4.

• A 36-year-old Thai woman who returned from the Netherlands on October 31 and tested positive in a Bangkok state quarantine hotel on November 4. She had cough symptoms.

• Three Myanmar truck drivers, aged 28, 29 and 41, tested positive at the Thailand-Myanmar border checkpoint on October 26 and were returned to Myanmar for treatment.

Meanwhile, 16 other patients have recovered and been discharged, though a 66-year-old Thai national who returned from the United Kingdom on October 19 succumbed to the virus on Thursday. He had developed breathing difficulties on October 20 and needed a respirator. He took a swab test and was recognised as Covid-19 patient number 3,719 in Thailand. Personal health information shows he had type 2 diabetes and high-blood pressure.

The total number of confirmed cases in Thailand has risen to 3,818 (866 in state quarantine), of whom 119 are in hospital and 3,639 have recovered. The death toll has risen to 60.

As of 10am, the number of confirmed cases globally according to Worldometer had increased by 604,248 to 49 million. Of them, 34.97 million have recovered, while 12.8 million are active cases (90,006 in severe condition) and 1.23 million died (with 8,712 new deaths).

Thailand ranks 149th among countries with most cases, though US still tops the list with 9.91 million patients, followed by India with 8.41 million, Brazil with 5.61 million, Russia 1.71 million and France 1.6 million.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30397452

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-11-06

Coronavirus vaccine: Two Covid-19 jabs 'could be ready by Christmas', NHS boss says

Sir Simon Stevens, CEO of the NHS, has claimed that two Covid-19 jabs could be ready by Christmas, and has primed GPs for a December roll-out

https://www.mirror.co.uk/science/coronavirus-vaccine-two-covid-19-22961437

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, mark131v said:

60 dead due to covid, all deaths are a tragedy for the families and victims but wasn't the road death toll 72 on Monday alone?

Still covid is very useful in keeping the general population scared whilst managing to keep a state of emergency rolling with the added benefit of getting a useful bit of xenophobia bubbling away in the background

Perspective would appear to show the government give zero <deleted>s for their people as if they wanted to stop this they could, unfortunately they don't...

Spot on !!!  Internet thaivisa prize

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kaneko86 said:

By quarantining them

My point was they keep trying to reduce the quarantine time of 14 days to 10 days, talk of even 7 days.

All in the name of get them into the resorts spending money and keep the bars happy.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, hotchilli said:

How do you protect the vulnerable in society while opening the doors to infected people?

That exposes everyone to infection? 

Sorry I didn't express myself well...

I meant they should scrap the quarantine and let people in only with a test prior and after landing.

Who is afraid to catch it (older people or people with pre existing conditions) should stay at home voluntarily (quarantining themselves).

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

17 minutes ago, kaneko86 said:

Who is afraid to catch it (older people or people with pre existing conditions) should stay at home voluntarily (quarantining themselves).

Half the population of Thailand have pre-existing conditions, a high percentage of them don't know it because they can't afford to go to hospital and get tested or treated. As for them self isolating along with anyone over age 60 just so you can go party sums up your compassion for others.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Half the population of Thailand have pre-existing conditions, a high percentage of them don't know it because they can't afford to go to hospital and get tested or treated. As for them self isolating along with anyone over age 60 just so you can go party sums up your compassion for others.

I stand to be corrected here, but are most of the people with pre existing conditions not responsible themselves because of their questionable life styles, ie, smoking, drinking too much, lack of exercise, obesity?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

13 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I stand to be corrected here, but are most of the people with pre existing conditions not responsible themselves because of their questionable life styles, ie, smoking, drinking too much, lack of exercise, obesity?

I have a health problem because a Dr (professor)  did a bad follow up after a spine operation. I' don't drink, don't smoke and did (still try) a lot of exercise, <deleted> happens. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, kaneko86 said:
17 hours ago, hotchilli said:

How do you protect the vulnerable in society while opening the doors to infected people?

By quarantining them

Like a detention camp for the perfectly healthy elderly? I wonder how your parents would think of you?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I did say most, not all, but hope you keep as well as possible.

I know just wanted to tell. THank you. Got PE because of that a couple months ago, I could hardly breath and had to beg for a Covid test (before we know it was PE). The doctor said we don't have Covid over here. I told her I visited a funeral with more than 500 people (no masks) She finally agreed after I insisted ???? luckily it was negative (a couple days later) . Ended up in ICU a couple hours later. So, you arrive with chest pain and breathing problems and still no intend to check for Covid ???? Difficult to understand for a Westerner, makes no sense.

16 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

I know just wanted to tell. THank you. Got PE because of that a couple months ago, I could hardly breath and had to beg for a Covid test (before we know it was PE). The doctor said we don't have Covid over here. I told her I visited a funeral with more than 500 people (no masks) She finally agreed after I insisted ???? luckily it was negative (a couple days later) . Ended up in ICU a couple hours later. So, you arrive with chest pain and breathing problems and still no intend to check for Covid ???? Difficult to understand for a Westerner, makes no sense.

I had a friend who took his child to hospital (Samitivej) with minor symptoms, they refused to test her for Covid-19. 

Regarding PE...  In the UK encountered breathing difficulties and cough in Mid June. With hindsight I recalled having a mild cough starting in April, shortness of breath slowly increased to the point where it was noticeable - I’d just thought that I was becoming unfit in Lockdown. 

The hospital confirmed Pulmonary Embolism (didn’t check for DVT, I had no DVT symptoms) - the Hospital also performed a Covid-19 test, which was negative. 

I’ve no idea if I had Covid-19 back in April, however, a mild cough started then and that was it, no other symptoms. 

I’m wondering if I had a mild case of Covid-19 which led to thrombosis.  On Xaraleto for life I’m now back to normal, playing football, cycling etc with no seemingly long term impact. 

Edited by richard_smith237

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

I had a friend who took his child to hospital (Samitivej) with minor symptoms, they refused to test her for Covid-19. 

Regarding PE...  In the UK encountered breathing difficulties and cough in Mid June. With hindsight I recalled having a mild cough starting in April, shortness of breath slowly increased to the point where it was noticeable - I’d just thought that I was becoming unfit in Lockdown. 

The hospital confirmed Pulmonary Embolism (didn’t check for DVT, I had no DVT symptoms) - the Hospital also performed a Covid-19 test, which was negative. 

I’ve not idea if I had Covid-19 back in April, however, a mild cough started then and that was it, no other symptoms. 

I’m wondering if I had a mild case of Covid-19 which led to thrombosis.  On Xaraleto for life I’m now back to normal, playing football, cycling etc with no seemingly long term impact. 

Same over here, they did not check the previous DVT (5 years ago) nor cared really what could have caused the PE. Warfarin for life but I made deal with the doctor that I would take it for 6 months and than she would follow-up on me trying a diet with natural blood thinners. (after I sign a disclaimer) The tests now show the difference when you change your food choice. Now they adjust the dose according to your normal diet. But I (and she) want to see I can change my INR by changing my diet. We did it the other way around just a month ago when my INR had to come down from 4.+++. because of an endoscopy. She did not a wanted give me K vitamin (antidote) We stopped warfarin and 3 days later I was down to 1.45 after I consumed a lot of food I was not allowed to eat (contained a lot of Vitamin K). She was surprised. So my guess is that we can influence it the other way around as well.

7 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

Laugh about it , as long as you still can ...

Edited 6 hours ago by nobodysfriend

Oh I am not laughing.... governments reactions are ruining the world over a virus that statistically is proven to kill mostly old and those with pre existing conditions... like the flu.

Very few young die and they mostly have...... oh wait for it... pre existing conditions.

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Really.... why are you asking this basic question when governments are ISOLATING millions of people unnecessarily? Maybe they should put in a support system for the vulnerable instead of locking down a whole nation?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

17 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

It is not only deadly to those with pre-existing conditions .

A lot of young and healthy died from it as well , it depends , ( amongst many other factors ) , even on the blood group you have .

Once cured , it does not mean that the former infected person does not continue to suffer from lasting organ damage and side effects .

" let the rest of us get on with our lives without restrictions "

Sure , only 49 million infected in the world , what to worry about ... if they all would come here , it would save the whole of the thai tourist industry , right ?

BtW , ever heard of ' Cluster 5 ' ?

In the north of Norway they had to cull all minks in the mink farms over there , because they have found to be infected with a new Version of the Corona Virus , the ' Cluster 5 ' Version .

One person had been infected with this and isolated .

The Cluster 5 version seems to be resistant to treatments and vaccines .

Another zoonotic transmission ...the virus is constantly mutating ...

Laugh about it , as long as you still can ...

It is Denmark not Norway and your claims about a so-called 'Cluster 5' version being 'resistant to treatment and vaccines seem to be false. I have said it before and I'll say it again, if you are going to post information like this, especially scare-mongering claims like this provide your sources:

"The claim that this mutant may be resistant to a vaccine is “idiotic”, he said"

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2259178-is-a-dangerous-new-coronavirus-strain-circulating-in-farmed-mink/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-54842643

Edited by SunsetT

On 11/6/2020 at 6:37 AM, webfact said:

By The Nation

800_f64a0d8f604b071.jpg?v=1604640778

The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) reported eight new cases in state quarantine facilities and one death over a 24-hour period on Friday.

All patients are returnees and most were asymptomatic, namely:

• A 68-year-old Swiss financial expert, who arrived on October 22 and checked into an alternative state quarantine hotel in Bangkok where he tested positive on November 4.

How in God's name this guy got positive?

If foreigners must provide mandatory negative test prior flying..He arrived on October 22, let's assume he took the test on October 19...Then got tested at arrival or few days after...I just don't buy it, the guy is a rare case of positive test after 14 days...He got it while being in quarantine...During flight could also be an answer, but odds are slim

On 11/8/2020 at 1:19 AM, SunsetT said:

It is Denmark not Norway and your claims about a so-called 'Cluster 5' version being 'resistant to treatment and vaccines seem to be false. I have said it before and I'll say it again, if you are going to post information like this, especially scare-mongering claims like this provide your sources:

"The claim that this mutant may be resistant to a vaccine is “idiotic”, he said"

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2259178-is-a-dangerous-new-coronavirus-strain-circulating-in-farmed-mink/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-54842643

You say :

" if you are going to post information like this, especially scare-mongering claims like this provide your sources:"

Well , I just read about this when I was posting , I could find and quote my source , but not need to , as you gave a link to an interesting read from the BBC :

---> " Danish authorities found genetic changes they say might undermine the effectiveness of future Covid-19 vaccines.

More than 200 people have been infected with mink-related coronavirus.

Danish scientists are particularly concerned about one mink-related strain of the virus, found in 12 people, which they say is less sensitive to protective antibodies, raising concerns about vaccine development.

Mutations in some mink-related strains involve the spike protein of the virus, which is targeted by some vaccines being developed.

"If the mutation is on a specific protein that is being currently targeted by the vaccine developers to trigger an immune response in humans then it means that if this new virus strain comes out of the mink back into the humans, even with vaccination, the humans will start spreading it and the vaccine will not protect," <----

May be you carefully read the links that you give before you post them ?

You say : > " "The claim that this mutant may be resistant to a vaccine is “idiotic”, he said" ,"

The guy who said this seems to be an idiot himself .

From the same article : ( your first link ) :

---> " The State Serum Institute issued a statement (in Danish) confirming that multiple mutant viruses have been isolated from mink, and that seven of these have mutations in the spike protein, which the virus uses to enter cells and which is important to the immune response and a key target for vaccines.

One of these viruses has four mutations in its spike protein, and in laboratory tests has been found to be more weakly inhibited by antibodies from humans who have been infected with the coronavirus." <---

BtW ;  if you feel ' scare mongered ' by my posts , you are not seeing what is going on ...

Edited by nobodysfriend