What period of time must bank statements span?

I live here on one-year extensions of stay based on my Non-O visa for retirement received many years ago.  When I extended in  April of this year, I almost didn’t get the extension because the monthly transfers of 70,000 to Bangkok Bank were out of order but the IO relented and agreed to accept the copy of my bank book on which she underlined every transfer with a red pen.  I don’t want to take a chance next year so I am now getting a six-month statement which will span the period of 5 May until today.  In April, I intend to get another six-month statement and a bank letter when I apply for the extension in the middle April.  I will make sure that my April transfer is deposited before I apply.  My question is whether the time span of May 2020 through April 2021 is sufficient.  Since I applied in April of this year for the extension effective 13 May, would my one year statement need to begin in April rather than May?  I don’t know how nitpicky they are.  I think that they verified the April transfer when I applied this year but don’t remember clearly.

• Confused 1

It probably varies by office. Not sure they will accept 6 months statements either.

I have gotten a one year bank statement done the month before since it takes a week to get it. And then a one month statement that shows the month I apply when I request the bank letter.

• Like 2

I had a six month statement with my extension on November 3 ( did it about two weeks before ) and that was accepted at the Chiang Rai office without question. As ubojoe says, it seems to depend on which office you are attending.

The banking world now has instant internet access, so one week for a one year statement is complete BS. They could do it with a screenshot, PrtScSysRq.

4 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

Perhaps I could do it with a screenshot if Bangkok Bank would grant me online banking.

If you had Bangkok Bank online banking you could print out a 6 months of transactions. Six months is the maximum.

I considered getting 6 month bank statements this year but decided it was best to get a one year statement rather than taking a chance of them not being accepted and rushing to get one year statement.

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

If you can afford it stick 800k in bank and leave it there. Money in the bank is bullet proof.

Still have the statement problem. Need to prove it was there 2 months before and 3 months after with 400 there during entire year.. So need 12 or 13 month span

4 minutes ago, tonray said:

Still have the statement problem. Need to prove it was there 2 months before and 3 months after with 400 there during entire year.. So need 12 or 13 month span

Did mine few weeks back. Annual extension based on retirement. I photocopied 12 months + pages of bankbook. Obtained bank letter with deposit on the day (to show activity). No bank statements required.

If I had used income method then yes bank statements and correct codes etc.

18 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Did mine few weeks back. Annual extension based on retirement. I photocopied 12 months + pages of bankbook. Obtained bank letter with deposit on the day (to show activity). No bank statements required.

If I had used income method then yes bank statements and correct codes etc.

Many immigration offices require statements. I was sent away by the front desk screener. Had bankbook, had bank letter, no statements, no queue mumber

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tonray said:

Many immigration offices require statements. I was sent away by the front desk screener. Had bankbook, had bank letter, no statements, no queue mumber

There are 80 IMM offices. How many is many.

Which rogue office are you dealing with?

CM?

3 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

Perhaps I could do it with a screenshot if Bangkok Bank would grant me online banking.

Why shouldn't they? Online banking is routine now with all banks.

For my last 2 extensions I downloaded my statements via the Krungsri's mobile app. (available for up to 6 months) These, along with a standard bank letter and the monthly TransferWise transaction slips were accepted by my IO.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't know about your experiences there however Nonthanburi is often mentioned as one of the most difficult offices.

Wouldn't it be lovely if all offices were consistent.

Earlier this year two officers were removed for attempting to shakedown a foreign university student for a bribe but she was recording it on her phone and went to social media.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Obtained bank letter with deposit on the day (to show activity).

Isn't the bank letter just to certify so-and-so has account number xyz at branch x etc? Which I believe can be a couple of days before going to Imm.

And the deposit on the day is so that the bank book updates to that day, correct?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It probably varies by office. Not sure they will accept 6 months statements either.

I have gotten a one year bank statement done the month before since it takes a week to get it. And then a one month statement that shows the month I apply when I request the bank letter.

I submitted 2 six monthly statements from Bangkok Bank, 100 baht a statement, issued while I waited, around 30 minutes,

for my Non O marriage extn in September at Roi Et, no problem.

The second time I waited a bit longer because of the bank letter, confirming my account.

The transfer in my bank book was printed out of order in the updating machine.  I have been spoiled by the ATMs in Japan which automatically turn to the correct page.  Since the machine squeezed in my October transfer at the bottom of the page,  it appeared in the bank book before the May transfer on the following page.  After I had gotten my extension, the same machine at Central Chidlom printed my August transfer directly on top of the July transfer.  When I showed it to a teller, she told me never to use the updating machine.  I now always have a teller update the bank book.

Bangkok Bank always tells me that I must have a work permit to qualify for online banking.  I’ve tried at numerous branches but I’m always refused.

Thanks Joe, for suggesting the fool-proof  method. Getting the one-year statement the month before I apply will give me a record of of the twelve months before the month that I apply and satisfy any doubt that I had a transfer in April of this year.  It is interesting that the twelve-month and one-month statements are accepted while some offices apparently won’t accept two six-month statements.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

Bangkok Bank always tells me that I must have a work permit to qualify for online banking.  I’ve tried at numerous branches but I’m always refused.

Unless your account is blocked from applying you can do it online if you have a ATM/Debit card.

See: https://ibanking.bangkokbank.com/Register/SignUp.aspx

16 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

Since the machine squeezed in my October transfer at the bottom of the page,  it appeared in the bank book before the May transfer on the following page.  

This can only mean that you put your book into machine incorrectly. You should open the book to the page which has the last entry on it so that the printing can continue from there on. You obviously didn't do that hence the 'out of date order' issue.

I've been puzzled about this issue until you wrote this sentence. All is clear now. User error I'm afraid.

• Like 1

Yes, the out of order entry was my fault for opening to the wrong page when I inserted the book in the machine.  The printing of the August transfer directly on top of the July transfer was the machine's fault.

Thanks, Joe for the link.  I'll let you know if I am successful.

Nonthaburi always ask me for 13 Months of Statements. I use  Bangkok Bank so no problem just get two consecutive six months ones plus one for the final whatever number of days days (from Branch) or a twelve months one (from HQ) and then one for the final whatever number of days (from Branch).

I underline every months  transfer to make it easier for IO to check.

• Like 1

Joe, I tried to register online but got this message:

Sorry, your profile information is not complete. Please contact a Bangkok Bank branch for Bualuang iBanking registration. For further assistance, please call Bualuang Phone at 1333 or +66 (0) 2645 5555. (-197)

I'll consult the bank tomorrow.  Thanks.  I expect that the bank branch will want a work permit but maybe there is some other error that can fixed.

I entered the Kingdom from Australia 26 November, and almost ready to exit quarantine. On Non O (O-X)retirement visa. Obviously I'll need to set up banking quickly to start the transfer of funds (using THB 1.8M deposit and THB 1.2M income transferred during the year for my yearly visit to IO.

I'm going by most people's advice on the forum and hoping for a Bangkok Bank account to perhaps use Transferwize.

a. Am I correct in thinking Bangkok is the most suitable to show the transfers as "from overseas" ?

b. Are Kasikorn and TMB suitable alternatives for me to try?

c. How important are the deposit dates each month.......would I go by Calendar months, or 26 to 26 dates as I entered on 26th? 

sorry for the questions, but just would like to be slightly confident of doing it correctly from the start.

Much appreciated for any advice

• Like 1

You can deposit 6,500 baht or more any time during each month.  I wire money to my Bangkok Bank account between the 1st and 15th but don’t leave it too late because Fidelity sometimes needs extra step to verify that it’s really me.  I use the direct to BB wire transfer so there is never any trouble getting the correct code in my bank book.  People have sometimes reported trouble with Transferwise transferring the money from a local bank.  Wires from Fidelity are free so I only incur a small BB charge.

• Like 2

On 11/6/2020 at 3:31 PM, ubonjoe said:

I did my marriage extension in August on income only and the IO at Kamphaeng Phet wanted 12 months of bank statements and the bank book updated the day I applied. BBK wanted 3 days notice as they have to get authority from head office and it cost me 300 baht. I went to the bank the previous week and told them what I required. They got a bit sniffy about it especially when I said that I wanted the original plus 2 copies. I could have got the copies elsewhere but I stuck to my guns and they grudgingly did the copies.

As ubonjoe says it varies from office to office. They all have to apply the same questions BUT they are allowed to ask for more details which is where the variation comes in.

Depending on which office you use you may need 2 copies of everything as I did because KPP comes under the Chiang Mai region and they need a copy of everything too.

My advice is to go to their office with your wife about 6 weeks before the due date and get her to find out exactly what they want and then go in about 3 weeks early with everything they want. That will then give you 3 weeks to get any extras that they want or you forgot. If you need letters from your pensions or proof of earnings from the UK get that sorted out a couple of months early because of the delays due to Covid.

Edited by billd766
Bad spelling
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2020 at 4:25 PM, DogNo1 said:

The transfer in my bank book was printed out of order in the updating machine.  I have been spoiled by the ATMs in Japan which automatically turn to the correct page.  Since the machine squeezed in my October transfer at the bottom of the page,  it appeared in the bank book before the May transfer on the following page.  After I had gotten my extension, the same machine at Central Chidlom printed my August transfer directly on top of the July transfer.  When I showed it to a teller, she told me never to use the updating machine.  I now always have a teller update the bank book.

Thanks Joe, for suggesting the fool-proof  method. Getting the one-year statement the month before I apply will give me a record of of the twelve months before the month that I apply and satisfy any doubt that I had a transfer in April of this year.  It is interesting that the twelve-month and one-month statements are accepted while some offices apparently won’t accept two six-month statements.

quote "Bangkok Bank always tells me that I must have a work permit to qualify for online banking. I’ve tried at numerous branches but I’m always refused."

I am retired and the BKK branch I went to in KPP had to call head office to get permission for me to get online banking and I explained that it was for money transfers and Immigration there was no problem.

• Like 1