Prostate

jonwilly

18 minutes ago, Farmerslife said:

Interesting point about being on a ward. Shared discomfort, perhaps?

My experience with being in a shared ward, albeit small, was not pleasant at all.

As I recall there were about six beds in this "private ward" and in the bed on the right hand side of me was an old guy who had been constipated for six weeks, and although he was "out of it" most of the time, there were regular cries of pain in the day and night, where he would empty his bowels (obviously a painful experience) and the stench was unbelievable.

The nurses would often come in and try and tend to him, but it was quite a regular occurrence and I rarely got any sleep, eventually asking for a couple of sleeping tablets to help me.

The guy on the left hand side would also scream out in the night, so not much sleep as far as I was concerned.

Oh, and a guy in the bed opposite died of heart failure, and unfortunately he was the quietest one of the lot, before he died that is!

My second stay in hospital in Thailand was in a private room and it was spacious, complete with a fridge, and a TV to watch, and I was able to plug in my computer and keep myself occupied on that. I would never go back to a shared ward, or whatever one wants to call it, again.

Food for thought perhaps.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, xylophone said:

My experience with being in a shared ward, albeit small, was not pleasant at all.

As I recall there were about six beds in this "private ward" and in the bed on the right hand side of me was an old guy who had been constipated for six weeks, and although he was "out of it" most of the time, there were regular cries of pain in the day and night, where he would empty his bowels (obviously a painful experience) and the stench was unbelievable.

The nurses would often come in and try and tend to him, but it was quite a regular occurrence and I rarely got any sleep, eventually asking for a couple of sleeping tablets to help me.

The guy on the left hand side would also scream out in the night, so not much sleep as far as I was concerned.

Oh, and a guy in the bed opposite died of heart failure, and unfortunately he was the quietest one of the lot, before he died that is!

My second stay in hospital in Thailand was in a private room and it was spacious, complete with a fridge, and a TV to watch, and I was able to plug in my computer and keep myself occupied on that. I would never go back to a shared ward, or whatever one wants to call it, again.

Food for thought perhaps.

Jeez! You really don't have much luck, do you? 

Admittedly, on the ICU ward I was in after the biopsy the bed next to me was occupied by a poor unfortunate soul with dementia who was constantly shouting and crying out but after a couple of hours the nursing staff trundled her off the ward to a private room and there was an audible sigh of relief from the rest of us. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Farmerslife said:

Jeez! You really don't have much luck, do you? 

LOL, as far as the prostate and waterworks go, you could say that!!!!

Still, here I am in my 75th year and still active and lucid, apart from the waterworks which I'm dealing with at the moment, and I've had a great life, what with a good standard of football, working in the Sahara desert and Nigeria, and being a director of American Express, and Chief Manager Investments of a major bank, not to mention the huge amount of travelling and adventure, so I can't complain.

Had an MRI done at the hospital yesterday and going back this afternoon to discuss the findings with the Professor, as I am going down the route of installing the "InterStim" device (similar to a pacemaker) to help stimulate the nerves in the bladder, so I will see what the good Professor says.

If there is no other solution, then I will probably go ahead with this, although I am getting used to using the catheter twice a day and it is no big deal as far as I'm concerned at the moment, so we'll see what the outcome is.

And good luck with your decision regarding the TURP.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 2:53 PM, Boomer6969 said:

PAE isn't available in Thailand, and IMHO it will be a while, as the procedure is performed by interventional radiologists and not by Urologists. You can imagine the difficulties, in terms of turf war and non-cooperation this could create here.

It is available in UK and France and covered by the Governments' health systems. From here it would require a two to three weeks trip, as I don't see myself on a long haul flight with the post PAE syndrome which occurs normally during the second week after the procedure. 

Also PAE doesn't produce the same result as TURPs, and other butcheries but I'd see it as means to get out of my medication (Finasteride + Doxazosin) for a few years, before a Radical Prostatectomy, or any other treatment, if my PCA decides to progress. (I have a tiny Gleason 6 tumour in a massive prostate of 105 grams).

Good luck with that and thanks for the heads up! 
Totally agree  with your opinion in dueling health departments !

This enlarged prostate problem has me considering the PAE,rezum and UROLIFT procedures ,over the TURP!

Still lurking!

On 3/14/2022 at 1:59 PM, Farmerslife said:

General anaesthetic. I'm no hero. ???? 

Too ßloody right always go for a general......last op I had I asked the nurse if she would just put the tiniest drop of general in to see what happened......surgeon nodded........OMG.....WHAP.......sensation was immediate...mind blowing....she left me for about 20s and then said okay....here comes the rest....bye-bye.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

LOL, as far as the prostate and waterworks go, you could say that!!!!

Still, here I am in my 75th year and still active and lucid, apart from the waterworks which I'm dealing with at the moment, and I've had a great life, what with a good standard of football, working in the Sahara desert and Nigeria, and being a director of American Express, and Chief Manager Investments of a major bank, not to mention the huge amount of travelling and adventure, so I can't complain.

Had an MRI done at the hospital yesterday and going back this afternoon to discuss the findings with the Professor, as I am going down the route of installing the "InterStim" device (similar to a pacemaker) to help stimulate the nerves in the bladder, so I will see what the good Professor says.

If there is no other solution, then I will probably go ahead with this, although I am getting used to using the catheter twice a day and it is no big deal as far as I'm concerned at the moment, so we'll see what the outcome is.

And good luck with your decision regarding the TURP.

Active and lucid. A roof over your head and food on the table.

I mentioned fortitude in an early post, your prostate seems to have tested your resolve to the extreme. I really hope that this InterStim device will be able to bring you the answer to your difficulties.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Farmerslife said:

Still, here I am in my 75th year and still active and lucid, apart from the waterworks which I'm dealing with at the moment, and I've had a great life, what with a good standard of football, working in the Sahara desert and Nigeria, and being a director of American Express, and Chief Manager Investments of a major bank,

Of course totally irrelevant to the subject matter of the thread unless the thread title has been changed to "blowing ones own trumpet" ????

• Haha 1

N

13 minutes ago, Excel said:

Of course totally irrelevant to the subject matter of the thread unless the thread title has been changed to "blowing ones own trumpet" ????

Neither irrelevant nor blowing one's own trumpet.

I had commented that xylophone didn't appear to be enjoying much luck with his prostate and its treatment and he merely pointed out how life had compensated him in a great many other areas. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Farmerslife said:

N

Neither irrelevant nor blowing one's own trumpet.

I had commented that xylophone didn't appear to be enjoying much luck with his prostate and its treatment and he merely pointed out how life had compensated him in a great many other areas. 

BS, completely irrelevant and no doubt totally untrue without proof. Prostate and the inherent issues are very serious matters to many of us and we can do without the plonkers making up yarns to make out they are something they are clearly not and thanking prostate issues for their benefit. Disgusting attitude -you American ?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, riclag said:

This enlarged prostate problem has me considering the PAE,rezum and UROLIFT procedures ,over the TURP!

Still lurking!

My prostate was not overly large. Far from it actually. It was only 37 gm. The problem was more to do with the increase in tissue impinging on my urethra, than the overall size. There are also many cases where men have been found to have very large prostates but few or no BPH symptoms, while others, like me, have had more severe symptoms with small prostates. 

It may be worth having some tests run to see what/where the problem is first as that could point you in the direction of available treatments that would be appropriate for you. I had already made the decision for Rezum, not realizing that it is not appropriate for everyone, even those of us with small prostates. Luckily, after the tests the doctor advised that it was an appropriate treatment for me. However, he did say that Urolift would not have been an option in my case because of the shape/size and causes of my BPH symptoms. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, xylophone said:

Thanks for asking Will, and it all went well thank you very much.

The MRI didn't show up anything untoward, and it did show that the sacral nerves were intact and undamaged, so if I go ahead and get the Interstim device fitted, then there's no reason why the bladder shouldn't be prompted to work again.

The good Professor did say that it would be an easy operation (I thought it would be quite difficult) and that he had contacted the manufacturer of the device and they were shortly due to release an updated and smaller version, so he suggested we wait for that and I continue with the catheter to try and retrain the bladder that way.

I'm always optimistic, and to me this is good news and I still have the decision to make with regards to the implant or not, however that can wait a few months.

I was happy to read about your positive outcome Will......thanks for sharing.

Don't know you from Adam.....but that has made my day.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Farmerslife said:

Interesting point about being on a ward. Shared discomfort, perhaps? ???? 

Wearing shorts is sound advice

Cheers

FYI did a search for TURP over there,surprised at pricing now,thought would be sky high,500 pounds and under for most if not all middle of the road hospitals, under 1000 for international ones,all good stuff

3 of us going over when covid restrictions end supposedly July,one for vein stripping in leg,85 pound quote,one other dry run probably leading to TURP ,I'm going for latest eye laser op,not done at Ruthin,last time I looked anyway, probably around 400 pounds with timely offers,Ruthin 000s of 0000s no doubt

Google the hospital,plus the doctors reputation and comments lots have 4 to 5 stars if you so wish. 

Feel like your legs have been pushed out from under on day two after after leaving hospital,first day full of fizz at getting out, need resting for few days ,but its well worth it,believe me,best thing I ever did.  Good luck

1 hour ago, fredscats said:

FYI did a search for TURP over there,surprised at pricing now,thought would be sky high,500 pounds and under for most if not all middle of the road hospitals, under 1000 for international ones,all good stuff

3 of us going over when covid restrictions end supposedly July,one for vein stripping in leg,85 pound quote,one other dry run probably leading to TURP ,I'm going for latest eye laser op,not done at Ruthin,last time I looked anyway, probably around 400 pounds with timely offers,Ruthin 000s of 0000s no doubt

Google the hospital,plus the doctors reputation and comments lots have 4 to 5 stars if you so wish. 

Feel like your legs have been pushed out from under on day two after after leaving hospital,first day full of fizz at getting out, need resting for few days ,but its well worth it,believe me,best thing I ever did.  Good luck

Thanks very much. You've given me an alternative to consider, for sure.
I don't know if I have the courage for it though? I have never visited India (and that's a regret of mine) so to be operated on in a foreign country where I have no experience, no knowledge and no support network is somewhat daunting. That said, I've got a bit of time to mull this over before I reach a conclusion.
Best wishes with your laser eye operation,  I really hope that goes well for you.

21 hours ago, riclag said:

Still lurking!

I don't know how large your prostate is riclag, because the size of it may well limit what other procedures could be applied/utilised.

I had a TURP because there was nothing else available at the time, and the meds weren't helping, and I remember a friendly urologist in NZ saying that a TURP was the last possible option I should consider only when all else had failed.

If I was in the same position now, I would certainly try the iTind procedure, because it is a painless 10 minute procedure which has to be revisited every three years or so, with no general anaesthetic or similar, and I could put up with 10 minutes every three years quite easily.

The Urolift would be my next option, because that is a relatively simple procedure, and like the iTind, can be removed if necessary.

Finally, I would try for the Holep procedure if all else failed, rather than the traditional TURP for the following reasons.....

Which is better HoLEP or TURP?
HoLEP was significantly superior to TURP in terms of both Qmax and IPSS at 1-year postoperative follow-up visits. Furthermore, HoLEP patients benefited from less intraoperative bleeding, a shorter catheterization time, shorter hospital stays, and lower transfusion rates.

You may also wish to peruse the following, if you haven't already done so: –

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/transurethral-resection-of-the-prostate-turp

• Thanks 1

On 8/21/2021 at 6:35 PM, BritManToo said:

What medication are you taking?

Doxazocin has sorted me right out, although I do need to vary the dosage a little.

2 pills, 2.5 pills, 3 pills (2mg/pill) depending on how it worked the previous day.

at once?  or twice a day?  Do you use use finesteride too?

Anyone try Uroflow? (Tamsulosin) instead?

59 minutes ago, Farmerslife said:

Thanks very much. You've given me an alternative to consider, for sure.
I don't know if I have the courage for it though? I have never visited India (and that's a regret of mine) so to be operated on in a foreign country where I have no experience, no knowledge and no support network is somewhat daunting. That said, I've got a bit of time to mull this over before I reach a conclusion.
Best wishes with your laser eye operation,  I really hope that goes well for you.

Nothing to it,2 hours away,expertise/professionalism second to none. id do a walk in straight off street,no letting them know you are international price will be upped for sure,..consultants always there,about 200/300 baht for consult,then there and then.

Barrage for hours blood testing brilliance in action,whatever evil found in blood will be managed by other consultant whilst there,all in price

Set at ease in instance,engage a helper,few rps a day to your beck and call

As for eye,if they do it one at a time I have to consider,but anyway Im having one consult at one leading eye hospital in morning to see everything OK then other later where the speciality op is performed,sort of second opinion

1 minute ago, Dart12 said:

I was prescribed Dou Dart.....but read up that IF you are running the risk of cancer of the prostate it can trigger a more aggressive type tumor to develop!!!!

• Thanks 1

Just now, Dart12 said:

I take tablets once a day, 1 tablet (2mg) is enough at the moment.

The 5mg Finesteride (every other day) after 2 years seems to have rolled me back to nearly normal.

I'm too cheap to pay more than 1bht/tablet, Tamsulosin is too expensive for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/21/2021 at 6:35 PM, BritManToo said:

What medication are you taking?

has sorted me right out, although I do need to vary the dosage a little.

2 pills, 2.5 pills, 3 pills (2mg/pill) depending on how it worked the previous day.

11 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

I did try Flomax (tamsulosin) at one time to try and improve the bladder emptying, and it worked to a certain extent, but not enough to completely clear up the problem, hence the reason I eventually settled for a TURP.

Nothing wrong with giving it a try as you have got nothing to lose.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I did try Flomax (tamsulosin) at one time to try and improve the bladder emptying, and it worked to a certain extent, but not enough to completely clear up the problem, hence the reason I eventually settled for a TURP.

Nothing wrong with giving it a try as you have got nothing to lose.

Don't you run a significant risk of impotence.....or is that not an issue?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I take tablets once a day, 1 tablet (2mg) is enough at the moment.

The 5mg Finesteride (every other day) after 2 years seems to have rolled me back to nearly normal.

I'm too cheap to pay more than 1bht/tablet, Tamsulosin is too expensive for me.

where do you order from to get those prices?