Public outrage over approval for CP Group's acquisition of Tesco Lotus

webfact

8 hours ago, colinneil said:

Why are the public outraged?

It was a forgone conclusion that CP would be given the go ahead.

CP can do anything they want, no way will this so-called government oppose anything they do, money, money, money, thats all that matters.

..and who would be a more acceptable candidate able the cough up 10 billion USD ...the owners of Big-C ? the owners of Central Group ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

I don't buy that.

There are plenty who want the current outrageous gap in income strongly reduced. 

Currently Thailand has the biggest gap in the world regarding the gap in income. 

Thailand is not even in the lowest quartile when it comes to income equality, and certainly nowhere near the good old US of A.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_income_equality

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NightSky said:

And this my friends is a clear example of why living in Thailand can be frustrating to say the least AND probably why foreigners are not welcome by some, ie educated foreigners know better than to accept corruption. I think the younger Thais have caught on en mass. Good luck to them although i fear nothing will change in the near future.

I agree that the younger Thais are now becoming well informed and understand how to decide what is good and what is not good for society.

In my uni classes nowadays not so much time spent on selfies, more discussion on good valuable discussion about freedom of speech, civil society, human rights etc. Good!

11 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I agree that the younger Thais are now becoming well informed and understand how to decide what is good and what is not good for society.

In my uni classes nowadays not so much time spent on selfies, more on good valuable discussion about freedom of speech, civil society, human rights etc. Not every day but much more than before and especially when there's protests and demonstrations. Good!

1 hour ago, condobrit001 said:

I think this "public outrage" is exaggerated. I did not encounter any demonstrations, looting, bottle throwing or any other signs of outrage during my morning walk today.

It usually is.

What is mind boggling, that it takes a 4:3 (total seven people involved) vote by the Office of Trade Competition Commission (OTCC) to approve a seedy deal by conglomerate Charoen Pokphand - well, it is not a worthwhile amount to talk about as it is only a US$10-billion. 

The selected few proved, oncemore again, how the deals work in the Land of Smiles! Happy shopping at 7/11 and Tesco Lotus ....... 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, overt2016 said:

Probably because they are not Chinese!

No, for Thais, money number one,

General public or Rich gits, just wanting more.

They all think the same, when it comes to money.

me ,me and more me, need more money, me.

TIT. what's new, zero.

Edited by quake
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, colinneil said:

Why are the public outraged?

It was a forgone conclusion that CP would be given the go ahead.

CP can do anything they want, no way will this so-called government oppose anything they do, money, money, money, thats all that matters.

Why shouldn't the public be outraged? They know that this will lead to price hikes which of course will filter down to the local Mom and Pop shops, the street and market vendors,  as they will need to pass on to the end consumer

• Like 1

14 hours ago, crickets said:

Prayut should use his power to step into this because it is unfair for the consumer. Prices will go up eventually and people can't really go anywhere else.

What, cross his best mate, Mr Dhanin, Thailand's wealthiest Chinese family and owner of CP group 

• Like 2

On 11/9/2020 at 8:25 AM, scorecard said:

salary & benefits of managerial staff cannot be more than 3 (?) times salary of labour staff

This is absolutely criminal in public education. It should be a noble vocation, not a business minded, money making career, as its funded with public funds, intended for the public good.

Not sure how it is in Thailand, but this is how it certainly was when I was in uni back in States. Administrators making hundreds of thousands, approaching the millions of dollars. Especially football coaches. Why? Promoting the school and attracting “top talent” are the rationale.

Meanwhile, teachers are underpaid, they can’t hire enough teachers, and I couldn’t get the classes I needed to graduate on time.

In terms of private business, though they aren’t beholden to public taxpayers, they certainly are to investors. Which we know they don’t give a <deleted> about either.