Police Checks

RayOday

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

I have lived on Thonglor for 11 years and i run and walk up and down multiple times daily. I have never ever seen one farang being stopped and searched. Plenty of Thais stopped in their cars, but never seen a farang. No idea where on Thonglor all these searches go on- the police there always seem friendly when i walk or run past and say a greeting. Maybe its the way you look or conduct yourself.

I have been stopped once i think in a taxi near Asok many years ago, but never ever since then.

I have a sneaky suspicion this is a click bait or wind up post.....

Between Thonglor and Phrom Phong and have seen at least 3 different times foreigners stopped by police who were searching their belongings and questioning them.

I have never been stopped and searched but it came close one evening. I was out for exercise along sukhumvit when 2 police on a motorcycle passing by stopped and called me over to them. When they called me over, I just looked at them, bewildered, and after a few moments they muttered to each other and just took off on their motorcycle down Sukhumvit. That incident left me feeling uneasy for many days as to what their motive was.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, RayOday said:

Some background...I am 65 and in good shape so I do not look my age. I have lived in BKK for 5 years. Just after the last coup, there was a sharp spike in Thonglor police shaking down foreigners. In my case I was stopped by 2 motorcycle patrolmen. They wanted 50k baht because they said I had drugs on me. I told them I did not have drugs. They aggressively searched me and found nothing. They said if they wanted me to have drugs then they would make it so and I would be found guilty. I gave them 2k and they left. As a result of the many shakedowns

there was a public outcry with many expats registering their concern with their respective consulates. The concerns were communicated to the Thai leadership and positive action was taken.

Well last night at 10:15 I was walking briskly down Sukhumvit when 6 motorcycle police came at me from all sides. The location was near Asoke and within the Thonglor police  jurisdiction. They asked what I was doing and I told them I was out for a walk to keep fit. They asked to search me and spent about 25 minutes throughly, almost meticulously, going through everything I had with me. They saw my money but made no move or said anything that would lead me to think they wanted to keep it.  In fact they were careful to hand it back to me exactly as I gave it to them. This stop was not about trying to extort money from me. I find it troubling and strange that there were so many police focused on me. After a long yet fruitless search they turned and left as they came. I am writing of this account as I wonder if anyone recently had a similar experience or insight as to what is going on. I am interested in whether the search was a one off or is there an initiative underway and it's purpose. Tonight I did not go out.

I would move , That’s Ridiculous 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Ireland32 said:

I would move , That’s Ridiculous 

Don't let them scare you, I know it's easier said than done, but I got used to standing up to people back in the UK ever since I left school, I have spoke back to police, bosses etc, but just one thing, make sure you are right and don't just jump right in.

• Like 1

been here almost 20 yrs and the only encounter I had with the police was one was my witness for my first visa extension. Due to the non livable wage paid to cops corruption is epidemic just as it was in the west prior the standards and wage increases. This will not change till the standards and pay change. With that being said, I do not believe this account, sorry..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, userabcd said:

Between Thonglor and Phrom Phong and have seen at least 3 different times foreigners stopped by police who were searching their belongings and questioning them.

I have never been stopped and searched but it came close one evening. I was out for exercise along sukhumvit when 2 police on a motorcycle passing by stopped and called me over to them. When they called me over, I just looked at them, bewildered, and after a few moments they muttered to each other and just took off on their motorcycle down Sukhumvit. That incident left me feeling uneasy for many days as to what their motive was.

About 12 years ago a friend and I were stopped coming home from Santika night club at about 3am

On a quiet sub Soi, 2 BiB riding pillion on a motorcycle pulled the taxi over, looked inside and indicated they wanted to talk with me. 

I opened the windows about 1 inch. The BiB Said...  “Passport !" I said, "No !!!”... BiB said “ID”. I said “No !!!” - the BiB then lost interest and just waved the taxi on and that was that. 

A rather strange experience which led me to wonder if they were even real police. 

• Haha 1

In just about every instance in my 5 years here, where police were stopping people or traffic, because I was a foreigner they waved me right thru. As a passenger in my GFs car just a few months ago, once they peered inside and saw a foreigner, they gave her an instant pass without looking at her docs and on our way. Perhaps maybe because I don't frequent the trendy areas like Thonglor or Asok but certainly on the west side of the river dealing with foreigners is more trouble than it's worth

Edited by tonray
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

They called you over to them?? Who do they think they are? You did the right thing.

The police, IOs etc are no more important than you. You are a human being, make sure you are treated like one, and

if you are not, then don't be afraid to tell them straight.

Yep, but when there are Thai people around and I am the only foreigner, it is a little suspicious them calling me over to them in Thai given the history in Thonglor area.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Don't let them scare you, I know it's easier said than done, but I got used to standing up to people back in the UK ever since I left school, I have spoke back to police, bosses etc, but just one thing, make sure you are right and don't just jump right in.

I agree that 'fully standing up to people' possibly depends on the time of day. Quite happy to do it during the day, different at night time...

A good buddy of mine got pulled over in a taxi in the area recently @ 4am and thoroughly searched. They did locate his party supplies though and off to the station they went. 3hrs and 100K later he was on his way. Maybe they’re just running short of funds? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Interesting comment.... The question you may wish to be asking yourself is how exciting is your life that you remember my previous posts !!!!!....  :clap2:

More interesting is a member which joined 9 days ago, remembers posts from years ago

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Susco said:
8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Interesting comment.... The question you may wish to be asking yourself is how exciting is your life that you remember my previous posts !!!!!....  :clap2:

More interesting is a member which joined 9 days ago, remembers posts from years ago

Most likely a previous ‘member’ (in every sense of the word) who trolled people to the point of getting himself banned, has now returned with a similar halfwitted mentality under a different handle.... 

It matters little - their posts are often idiotic, but humorous. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Come on, you've been in Thailand long enough to know that being right in Thailand means nothing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1