Obtaining death, birth and marriage certificates for UK pension spouse benefits

I am preparing a file for my wife to try to make life easier when I die.

It so far has my Thai and UK wills, personal accident policy under my annual health insurance, and 2 spouse pensions from 2 UK providers. 

I foresee a problem for her in that, for payment to commence, they all require her to send my original death certificate, her original birth certificate, and our original marriage certificate which means she needs multiple 'original' documents.  All Thai documents are also required to be translated to English.

Does anyone know how this is handled in Thailand? Is it just a matter of asking the doctor who writes the death certificate to give you however many copies you need?

For her birth certificate, it's long lost but I assume the local amphur can provide this and just pay for many copies, stamped and signed?

I have the original marriage certificate but how do we get multiple originals?

Presumably the English translations of these will need to be notarized as certified copies of the originals? I suspect this will mean a trip to civilization but at least the THai ones I can do in advance and add to the file.

Ideally I want all the documents in the file asap so that only leaves her to sort out the death certificates.

Thanks for any advice.

Your wife will have to send to each individual provider the oridginals who wants to see them,  along with the certified copies translated to English.

There are Thai shops that translate documents.

I would say you need to say what province you live maybe someone will know where you need to go. 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

Does the word ORIGINAL mean that there is only one of it, all others are copies?

My interpretation of original is the one issued by the doctor, stamped and signed, so any copies may not be acceptable.

I can't see why he'd not provide many originals for a small fee of course.

If I have to do as Kwasaki says it's going to take a very long time for her to claim everything, not to mention original documents possibly getting lost in the mail.

5 minutes ago, Saltire said:

My interpretation of original is the one issued by the doctor, stamped and signed, so any copies may not be acceptable.

I can't see why he'd not provide many originals for a small fee of course.

If I have to do as Kwasaki says it's going to take a very long time for her to claim everything, not to mention original documents possibly getting lost in the mail.

EMS and registered post everytime should make it it safe enough. 

Not much choice really and it will take more time to and fro to each provider it's unavoidable. 

4 hours ago, Saltire said:

I am preparing a file for my wife to try to make life easier when I die.

It so far has my Thai and UK wills, personal accident policy under my annual health insurance, and 2 spouse pensions from 2 UK providers. 

I foresee a problem for her in that, for payment to commence, they all require her to send my original death certificate, her original birth certificate, and our original marriage certificate which means she needs multiple 'original' documents.  All Thai documents are also required to be translated to English.

Does anyone know how this is handled in Thailand? Is it just a matter of asking the doctor who writes the death certificate to give you however many copies you need?

For her birth certificate, it's long lost but I assume the local amphur can provide this and just pay for many copies, stamped and signed?

I have the original marriage certificate but how do we get multiple originals?

Presumably the English translations of these will need to be notarized as certified copies of the originals? I suspect this will mean a trip to civilization but at least the THai ones I can do in advance and add to the file.

Ideally I want all the documents in the file asap so that only leaves her to sort out the death certificates.

Thanks for any advice.

Medical certificate of death and death certificates are usually separate entities. In Thailand the local registar is the place to obtain death certificates

• Thanks 1

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/login.asp

If you create an account here (it's free) you can search for your own birth certificate and order an original.

There are two types of UK birth certificates, a long and a short.  The basic difference is that on the long one  your parent's details are also given, including your mother's maiden name.  Great for tracing your family tree!  

The site is for birth and deaths and goes back to September 1837, yes 1837.

Marriages are not yet covered but can be found by using 

https://www.freebmd.org.uk

which will give you enough details to order a certificate from the correct  registration district or from the central office in, IIRC, Southport.

I'm an amateur genealogist and I'm on this site almost daily.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, BTempleman said:

When my friend passed away a year ago, the process went as follows: a policeman was called to the home to check on the nature of the death and subsequently wrote a report. A medical person was dispatched to the scene and provided a statement to the doctor to make a determination of death. Both the police report and medical report went to the local Amphoe, where the death was recorded. The local Amphoe asked the next of kin if she wanted 10 copies of the death certificate issued in English and 10 in Thai. She received them and was able to provide them to the necessary agencies upon request. Each "copy" was signed and provided a stamped seal as an original. 

Thank you , this sounds exactly what I was hoping for. I guess it will vary from amphoe to amphoe. Definitely good information thanks, though I doubt my local amphoe could do anything in English, but at least I can communicate this to my wife.

12 hours ago, lungbing said:

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/login.asp

If you create an account here (it's free) you can search for your own birth certificate and order an original.

There are two types of UK birth certificates, a long and a short.  The basic difference is that on the long one  your parent's details are also given, including your mother's maiden name.  Great for tracing your family tree!  

The site is for birth and deaths and goes back to September 1837, yes 1837.

Marriages are not yet covered but can be found by using 

https://www.freebmd.org.uk

which will give you enough details to order a certificate from the correct  registration district or from the central office in, IIRC, Southport.

I'm an amateur genealogist and I'm on this site almost daily.

Thanks, I have my original birt certificate, it's the the death cert that is my concern, and the Thai marriage and birth certificates.

However great sites, in theory I could order a new one and have it sent to my UK address.