1 year extension based on marriage - married overseas, do I need a Kor Sor 2/3?

Going for a first 1 year extension based on marriage to a Thai, have all the requirements i believe, valid stamp on my Non-O visa, UK marriage certificate has done the rounds - UK legalisation, London Thai embassy and Bangkok MFA stamp, had the 400k seasoned in my account for two months.

My question:

1) do I need a Kor Ror 3  and a Kor Ror 2  ?

if technically not needed, then a follow up question 

2) Do you think some fussy immigration officer might decide reject my application until i register our marriage in Thailand also?

thanks

In which country is your marriage registered?

Getting the KR22 can be relatively easy or a potentially expensive nightmare depending upon the above response.

Once you have the KR22 there's no problem.

I recently went through this process for a UK (soon to be ex) friend.

and here

and here

and here

7 minutes ago, Crossy said:

In which country is your marriage registered?

Getting the KR22 can be relatively easy or a potentially expensive nightmare depending upon the above response.

Once you have the KR22 there's no problem.

I recently went through this process for a UK (soon to be ex) friend.

Im from the UK also. but it seemed pretty painless, just come back from the Amphur took about 45 minutes to get a Kor Ror 22

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, STD Warehouse said:

Im from the UK also. but it seemed pretty painless, just come back from the Amphur took about 45 minutes to get a Kor Ror 22

So you already registered the marriage in Thailand and got both the Kor Ror 2 and 3?

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No

He registered his foreign marriage and got a Kor Ror 22 that is the registry for a foreign marriage.

Thanks for the clarification. Kor Ror 22 confused me, never heard of it.

Edited by Toxane
Made answer more readable

56 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I missed that you'd already done the groundwork.

Did you need witnesses to get the KR22??

I dont think so, I just sat down at the back and let my wife do it all, but there was no one else in the Amphur so cant see how anyone could have witnessed it, it was like a ghost town in there, they had the TV on watching one of those Thai soap shows and it looked like the boss was itching to sign our paper so he could head off early.

• Like 1

Riddle me this one.

My intention is to apply for a twelve month extension of stay based on marriage.  I have not made such an application before.

I married my wife in the UK 26 years ago.  That marriage has not been registered at our local amphur.

To register the marriage at our local amphur and issue a Kor Ror 22 the amphur insist they must have a copy of the marriage certificate certified by the British Embassy and 'legalised' by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) based in Bangkok. 

According to gov.uk the British Embassy in Bangkok will not certify marriage certificates.

Enquiries to the MFA in Bangkok elicit the response that if the British Embassy in Bangkok will not certify the marriage certificate I can travel to London and the Thai Embassy there will certify it.  For a variety of obvious reasons I have no wish to do that.

I can satisfy all other requirements including financial for an extension of stay based on marriage.  It is just this Kor Ror 22 issue that has me stuck.

Any suggestions?

10 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

Enquiries to the MFA in Bangkok elicit the response that if the British Embassy in Bangkok will not certify the marriage certificate I can travel to London and the Thai Embassy there will certify it.  For a variety of obvious reasons I have no wish to do that.

The legalization of your marriage certificate has to be done in the UK.

Info is here on the UK embassy website.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/714089/Legalisation_info_June_2018.pdf

After getting it all done it has to be translated to Thai and then certified at the Department of Consular Affairs of the MFA

• Like 1

1 hour ago, In the jungle said:

Thank you Joe.  Very helpful.

Sorry to add a little more frustration to the process  however  ............ The Marriage Certificate needs to be verified by the Registrar of Births Deaths and Marriages in Milton Keynes before you send it to the Thai Consulate in London

9 minutes ago, pagan1 said:

Sorry to add a little more frustration to the process  however  ............ The Marriage Certificate needs to be verified by the Registrar of Births Deaths and Marriages in Milton Keynes before you send it to the Thai Consulate in London

Somwhere amongthe threads you will see that i did this just over a year ago when i changed to marriage from retirement,luckily i was going on holiday to the Uk at the time and it was quite painless, your docs go tho MKeynes,then to the Thai Embassy in london 

When you have them back i just got a lawyer in Pattaya to send them to Banngkok for authentication and translation

Ubonjoe is a big help.

Ubonjoe is indeed a great help. 

I think I would have struggled to identify this process without him pointing me in the right direction.

The one part I have yet to fathom out is how to get the Thai Embassy London to return the document(s) to me here in Thailand.  From their website it appears they are really geared up to dealing with people in person in respect of both dropping off and returning documents.  There is a vague statement on the website that mentions postal returns may be considered on a case by case basis but I will have to clarify what would work for them.  My guess is the secret here is make that part as easy as possible for them.

The whole process is going to be complex, expensive, time consuming and prone to cock ups.

By contrast Thai embassies and consulates abroad, when considering a visa application based on marriage, simply require production of the original certificate and a copy.  If the certificate is genuine and the copy is true they accept the copy.  At least that is the way it has worked for me at two different embassies and two consulates.

The British immigration approach is very similar.  At least it was when my wife was applying on the basis of marriage there.  Compare original doc to photocopy.  Assuming the original is genuine and the copy is true the desk officer writes "Original seen." on the copy, signs underneath and accepts the copy.  Job done.

1 hour ago, In the jungle said:

Ubonjoe is indeed a great help. 

I think I would have struggled to identify this process without him pointing me in the right direction.

The one part I have yet to fathom out is how to get the Thai Embassy London to return the document(s) to me here in Thailand.  From their website it appears they are really geared up to dealing with people in person in respect of both dropping off and returning documents.  There is a vague statement on the website that mentions postal returns may be considered on a case by case basis but I will have to clarify what would work for them.  My guess is the secret here is make that part as easy as possible for them.

The whole process is going to be complex, expensive, time consuming and prone to cock ups.

By contrast Thai embassies and consulates abroad, when considering a visa application based on marriage, simply require production of the original certificate and a copy.  If the certificate is genuine and the copy is true they accept the copy.  At least that is the way it has worked for me at two different embassies and two consulates.

The British immigration approach is very similar.  At least it was when my wife was applying on the basis of marriage there.  Compare original doc to photocopy.  Assuming the original is genuine and the copy is true the desk officer writes "Original seen." on the copy, signs underneath and accepts the copy.  Job done.

I just went through this process,

Something to consider is you have to include a photocopy of marriage certificate when you give it to the thai embassy, and also a photocopy of your passport and a printed and filled out application form available on the Thai London Embassy website.

So although you can send your marriage certificate direct to Milton Keynes in the UK, So its not just as easy as getting Milton Keynes to forward the legalised marriage certificate onto the Thai Embassy in London, as you still need to somehow include the other documents and the £10 note to pay for the Thai legalised part.

I had a friend in the UK receive legalised marriage certificate returned by Milton Keynes , then include the other documents which I emailed to him, £10 payment and a return stamped address envelope before they sent it to the Thai Embassy in London. Then when the Thai Embassy returned it to my friend (took about 10 days), they then sent it by DHL back to me. 

So it certainly makes it easier if you have someone in the UK helping out.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, STD Warehouse said:

Something to consider is you have to include a photocopy of marriage certificate when you give it to the thai embassy, and also a photocopy of your passport and a printed and filled out application form available on the Thai London Embassy website.

So although you can send your marriage certificate direct to Milton Keynes in the UK, So its not just as easy as getting Milton Keynes to forward the legalised marriage certificate onto the Thai Embassy in London, as you still need to somehow include the other documents and the £10 note to pay for the Thai legalised part.

I had a friend in the UK receive legalised marriage certificate returned by Milton Keynes , then include the other documents which I emailed to him, £10 payment and a return stamped address envelope before they sent it to the Thai Embassy in London. Then when the Thai Embassy returned it to my friend (took about 10 days), they then sent it by DHL back to me. 

Thank you for that information.

It looks like a ludicrously long shot to do this complex process by remote control relying upon the goodwill of both British and Thai government officials.

I will consider my options but my best guess is that I will have to rely on the help of a friend in the UK as you did. 

33 minutes ago, STD Warehouse said:

One small question.  Did you have to copy your entire passport as is common here or just the identity pages?