TripAdvisor slaps warning on Thailand's 'Sea View Resort & Spa' review page

webfact

4 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

It wasnt  negative review though , it was a campaign to attack the hotel with dishonest fake reviews .

Trip Advisor should warn people not to make false reviews 

If the review was true or not I have no idea what evidence was presented?
2 negative reviews a campaign really ?

I went on a campaign when I was ripped off on line writing probably 30-40 negative reviews.

Actually from what I read Tripadvisor did have a role in bailing out American guy from what I read (someone correct me if I am wrong). This was probably the first time in their history they had to do something like this hence the warning.

• Thanks 1

Plenty of hotels in Koh Chang , why choose this one,  I certainly will avoid it, trip advisor took the over the top review down, good for them, the other review was not something that should result in the writer being thrown in jail and threatened with 2 years in prison, period.

8 minutes ago, alstaxi said:

Plenty of hotels in Koh Chang , why choose this one,  I certainly will avoid it, trip advisor took the over the top review down, good for them, the other review was not something that should result in the writer being thrown in jail and threatened with 2 years in prison, period.

Especially in a country where you can pay the same bail bond (100k) for a fatal hit and run. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

It should be a generic warning placed on all thailand places that advertise on their website... rather than singling out the seaview resort.

Although you might be right as it would indicate that it is a possibility when staying at any places, considering the law, but the other places have not done that and I am sure that plenty of them have got their fair share of negative comments. Kindly note that I did not write "lies" as , by definition there are two sides of the story, at least, and all opinions are subjective therefore not a (really) a lie

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, CorpusChristie said:

The guy didnt write a honest review though , he wrote numerous false allegations because he got charged corkage on alcohol be bought into the hotel from outside .

The American guy waged a campaign against the hotel because he got upset about not being allowed to bring in beer from 7/11 .

Unfair on the hotel for Trip advisor to issue a warning , when the American guy wrote false reviews 

Yes, he lied about the hotel and gravely exaggerated - spoilt little runt that he is - but, being locked up for being a vindictive fool is way out of line. He's probably his own worst enemy, but the hotel management don't strike me as being much better either. All of this bad publicity and now a warning from Tripadvisor over a corkage charge? Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

He was posting various different bad fake reviews on numerous websites using false different names over the course of a few weeks , the hotel management asked him to cease, but he continued and so the hotel informed the police 

Still...it should not have been a police matter. When I choose a hotel I start by reading the most negative comments and then I try to see clear through the rest of the comments. The customer posted what felt right in order to damage the hotel's reputation and the hotel should have stuck to reply strongly and report his unfair comments to the sites. Whether the customer lied or not is not relevant: it is a Pandora box. It just shows that anyone can fall under some jurisdiction and then it is up to them, not the hotel, to prove that one has written a honest report of their experiences.  Full stop.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

The guy didnt write a honest review though , he wrote numerous false allegations because he got charged corkage on alcohol be bought into the hotel from outside .

The American guy waged a campaign against the hotel because he got upset about not being allowed to bring in beer from 7/11 .

Unfair on the hotel for Trip advisor to issue a warning , when the American guy wrote false reviews 

Agreed, but nobody knows what really happened and it does not justify a a journey to the local jail.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Enzian said:

I once got threatened by a hotel in Rome, nothing came of it. Most people in the world are aware of the possibility of civil complications, but also most people would be astounded by the possibility of criminal charges, so Trip Advisor is just doing its job.

A couple of months ago, I had an unpleasant argument with the reception of a 5 star hotel in Bangkok. I was confronted by the manager on duty and the day manager of the front desk as I was complaining, in a soft but firm manner,  about some unusual requests from their part during check in. They went as far as calling  the security over the phone ( Conversation was in English and they were unaware I spoke Thai). When I heard that, I started asking casual questions prompting the duty manager to wave the security away.

I did not stay at the hotel on that day ( out of a 5 day stay) as I was quite upset about what had happened. The following morning I went back and asked to see the two persons involved and gave them a letter, addressed to their GM, detailing the whole exchange including the call for security.

I asked them if my account of the facts were correct to which they both said yes. One of them apologised as he was scared to lose his job, the other tried to justify her behaviour and asked what was going to happen: nothing was my answer.

As I had written at the end of the letter, I would not send this letter but I needed them to understand that what they did was not acceptable.

Better than a negative comment on any site and, trust me, I had the best stay ever after this incident.

My point is: what would have happened if I had taken that to the next level or even worse if the security had asked me to leave the premises? I would have been the black sheep