TripAdvisor slaps warning on Thailand's 'Sea View Resort & Spa' review page

webfact

4 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

TripAdvisor has always had problems with reviews. I use them with a large grain of salt. Many are dubious

but that's the whole basis of this 'advisor' isn't it - dubious advice (with many contrived inputs internally I have no doubt) Only makes sense if favorable reviews generate business that these reviews become manipulated..

Edited by from the home of CC
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, alyx said:

Insinuation and actual wording are quite different. I have not read the posts and tbh I am not interested. I am just looking at the effect of a thoughtless reaction of a management. Furthermore, as much as I'd like the negative comments to be constructive, most of them posts are not as the posters use that mean of communication to vent their frustration.

I agree with everything you say although in his review, he did in fact use the words “slave labor” in his description of how the staff treated the workers.  That goes far beyond reviewing a product or service.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Flying Saucage said:

Yes, and this outcome was only possible because Richard Barrow and Andrew MacGregor Marshall made this case known to the public and the world outside Thailand. Without them, Mr. Barnes would face a longer jail term. His forced apology alone shows everything about the mindset of these people.

Really, I don't understand why some TV members still defend the use of fascist laws by so called influencial people in this totalitarian country. It's beyond me, really.

He did NOT get a jail term, the case didnt even go to Court .

Do you think that Thailand cares about what the outside World thinks ?

He agreed to delete the posts and not write anymore and charges were dropped , that was the sensible thing for all concerned .

Why are you complaining about the defamation  law in this instance ? He never did get charged under that law 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alyx said:

a cell is a cell: being deprived of freedom and rights ( in some case) You are kidding right? And it also makes a huge difference between being in a cell pending investigation/trial and being in cell after judgment: in the first case, one doesn't know the outcome. You are pushing the semantic a bit far because  you want to be right but the result is the same:  a cell is a cell.

To add to my previous reply to your reply to me,  I also agree with what you say here and think that when one weighs the actions of the “reviewer” vs the reaction of the hotel, I still side with the reviewer even though I think his review was an example of someone “venting their frustration”.

1 minute ago, Airalee said:

I agree with everything you say although in his review, he did in fact use the words “slave labor” in his description of how the staff treated the workers.  That goes far beyond reviewing a product or service.  

I appreciate but you see, you are in this case the correct example of what I am trying to express: you wrote "insinuated" and now it is "use the words" . As I wrote, I did nor read his posts and they are not the subject here but still, words make a humongous difference 

5 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

It wasnt  negative review though , it was a campaign to attack the hotel with dishonest fake reviews .

Trip Advisor should warn people not to make false reviews 

Nope it was 4 reviews over a period of weeks hardly a smear campaign and who is to say his observations are wrong, was you there?

2 minutes ago, mark131v said:

Nope it was 4 reviews over a period of weeks hardly a smear campaign and who is to say his observations are wrong, was you there?

And the posts only stopped after he got arrested , the hotel were concerned that it would be an endless campaign  and so informed the authorities .

It has been shown that the reviews were not true  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alyx said:

I appreciate but you see, you are in this case the correct example of what I am trying to express: you wrote "insinuated" and now it is "use the words" . As I wrote, I did nor read his posts and they are not the subject here but still, words make a humongous difference 

I understand what you are saying.  If I were to elaborate, it could be misconstrued to be something akin to what we have read about the fishing industry here in Thailand.  That’s why I used the word “insinuated” rather than saying he flat out accused them of slave labor.

4 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

He was posting various different bad fake reviews on numerous websites using false different names over the course of a few weeks , the hotel management asked him to cease, but he continued and so the hotel informed the police 

Blimey you are slow on the uptake! it was 4 reviews on 2 platforms over a period of weeks, do try to keep up...

Just now, Airalee said:

I understand what you are saying.  If I were to elaborate, it could be misconstrued to be something akin to what we have read about the fishing industry here in Thailand.  That’s why I used the word “insinuated” rather than saying he flat out accused them of slave labor.

allegedly ????

I have to admit that after posting that warning on the hotels side, TripAdvisor made a big jump upwards in my personal appreciation. Again, well done, TripAdvisor!

In future, it will be a pleasure for me to post more reviews myself, both positive and negative. And I don't care about the local Mafia. I support freedom of speech.

11 minutes ago, alyx said:

a cell is a cell: being deprived of freedom and rights ( in some case) You are kidding right? And it also makes a huge difference between being in a cell pending investigation/trial and being in cell after judgment: in the first case, one doesn't know the outcome. You are pushing the semantic a bit far because  you want to be right but the result is the same:  a cell is a cell.

Yes, but what I mean is that the Thai judiciary system didnt sentance him to a jail term for the offence .

I am talking about the penalties for crimes in Thailand , rather than the difference between a police cell and a jail cell .

This guy didnt receive a jail term and didnt go to jail , but yes, police cells and jail cells are quite similar

4 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

And the posts only stopped after he got arrested , the hotel were concerned that it would be an endless campaign  and so informed the authorities .

It has been shown that the reviews were not true  

And this statement begs the question: by whom was it shown?

If I were threaten of jail for such a trivial matter I would even say that I invented the whole and never stayed at the place.

You would be surprised to learn how easy it is to manipulate words let alone human beings. This being said I am not able to say who is right or wrong ( not the point anyway )

Just now, CorpusChristie said:

Yes, but what I mean is that the Thai judiciary system didnt sentance him to a jail term for the offence .

I am talking about the penalties for crimes in Thailand , rather than the difference between a police cell and a jail cell .

This guy didnt receive a jail term and didnt go to jail , but yes, police cells and jail cells are quite similar

So we agree then: he spent a limited time in jail....for alleged false comments  

6 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

The guy didnt write a honest review though , he wrote numerous false allegations because he got charged corkage on alcohol be bought into the hotel from outside .

The American guy waged a campaign against the hotel because he got upset about not being allowed to bring in beer from 7/11 .

Unfair on the hotel for Trip advisor to issue a warning , when the American guy wrote false reviews 

I understand what you are saying, however, TripAdvisor now has a duty of care to warn all intending parties of the consequences if they make a comment about a hotel, restaurant or something else in Thailand as the law states, defamation here is dealt with swiftly as has been shown and TripAdvisor could find themselves on the other end of a lawsuit if not careful for not warning people about this, no doubt legal advice was sort and provided.

I think signalling out this hotel in particular is a bit unfair, as it should be on every place in Thailand, that said, let this be a lesson to Thai's, that the greater democracy in the world outside of Thailand doesn't work this way, suffice to say, the Thai's could learn from this and remove such draconian laws, especially if they are a democracy as they say they are.

Criticism is a part of life and I am sure if one allows people to speak freely about their experiences at a hotel or restaurant etc etc, then one will make there own decision as to whether they will go there or not, owners of businesses have no control or say in the matter.

I do hope the chap that stayed at this hotel and works here isn't made a scapegoat over this with his work permit extension being cancelled all of a sudden or in the future, but I am quite certain this owner will be slipping a few envelopes to get the last word in, might be wrong, but this is certainly the country for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, herwin1234 said:

i have followed the tread of the original post, with more details in it. what i remember it was not ONE bad negative review but a whole longrunning smear campaign by the unsatisfied hotel guest. 

Sorry cant find the original tread of that post.

draconian? i dont think so. there is a HUGE differnce between any objective factual and even emotional negative review, and a review that is clearly made of lies and misinformation to clearly falsely accuse or embarres a business, or, any private person. basically, it was not somebody expressing his negative experience but plain and simple cyberbullying. 

I followed it too, it was four reviews, 2 on TA one of which arguably had been removed until Seaview released it in their damage limitation statement the other 2 were on google, critical certainly right or wrong, who knows but they were his opinion..

All of this was over a period of weeks that is not a long running smear  campaign anyway if you want to smear your business make sure you repeatedly get yourself all over the international press by demonstrating how petty and vindictive you are ????????!!!

• Like 1