Water supply problem in "darkside"?

DimaTH

Hi there,
Does anyone living in "dark side" in the private house experience the problem with water supply or water shortages?
I'm looking to move to East Pattaya from Pratumank with my family soon, and heard some rumors about bad situation with water supply in this area.
If you do have such a problem how do you try to solve it?

Yeah, most of the problems started when the rainy season didn't start. 

Most years it's not a problem. The occasional problem with some ID-10-T busting a water line because they decided to tear up the road to connect a house sewer line to the main drain and broke a water main in the process.
No one here apparently needs to consult with the city or get a dig permit before tearing up public roads (and water/sewer lines).

Those (water) outages usually are resolved within a day though. (Can't wait to see all the fun that happens in the areas where they are supposed to be burying all the electrical/cable lines when every other Somchai with a backhoe decides to start tearing up the pavement.)

A lot of houses here already have tanks (above or below ground) to tide them over during those outages. I didn't have a problem over the summer though a couple times I thought I'd almost emptied my 1,200 lt tank (turns out I only got down around a third full). Couple places, with smaller tanks and larger families, had to get refilled by truck. Only twice as far as I can remember.

It also seems to depend on where you are on the darkside as some areas seemed to always have water while others were on a "day on/day off" schedule (that sometimes meant "3 days off, 1 day on").

Wasn't a deal breaker though. One (Thai) friend of mine actually installed a 2nd 1,000lt tank at his house, but he's got half a dozen people in his house (and he's the only male) so he needed some extra capacity.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

One (Thai) friend of mine actually installed a 2nd 1,000lt tank at his house, but he's got half a dozen people in his house (and he's the only male) so he needed some extra capacity.

In times of water-shortage taking joint showers is a water-saving option.

And in his case that sounds like fun... ????

7 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

In times of water-shortage taking joint showers is a water-saving option.

And in his case that sounds like fun... ????

As the rest are all his relatives, I'd say not. Sheesh, he probably doesn't get a lot of cuddle time with the wife with the kids, mom and aunt all there as well.

• Haha 1

We’re up by the Million years stone park and this year water has been off maybe 3/4 times, maybe for 12 hours max. We have a 3,000 litre tank so no problem. There are 3 of us including our teen daughter who could shower for Thailand.......555

here on soi chaiyapruck 2, water out numerous times this past 8 mos. between water shortages and broken water pipes,  I never had a problem.... I installed two 2000L tanks 4 years ago.... the neighbors laughed.... every time a water truck came in the village, I laughed............????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Lot of folks with tanks and pumps never realize when their water is off. 

True.
Many a time the only way I knew the water was off (or had been) was when I'd hear water trickling into my tank, indicating that the level had dropped and was now being (slowly) replenished. 
Normally the pressure is good enough that I never turn the pump on, but when there is an outage for some reason, I have to turn the pump on. When I hear the tank being refilled I know the water is "back on" so I can turn the pump off again. Sometimes. During the water restrictions when we were experiencing low pressure I still had to use the pump, but it wasn't much of an inconvenience.

2 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

True.
Many a time the only way I knew the water was off (or had been) was when I'd hear water trickling into my tank, indicating that the level had dropped and was now being (slowly) replenished. 
Normally the pressure is good enough that I never turn the pump on, but when there is an outage for some reason, I have to turn the pump on. When I hear the tank being refilled I know the water is "back on" so I can turn the pump off again. Sometimes. During the water restrictions when we were experiencing low pressure I still had to use the pump, but it wasn't much of an inconvenience.

I installed a pressure gauge on the fill line. I have given up isolating the pump when incoming pressure is sufficient.... too much messing about and I found I was supplying everything, including washing machine, with murky water. Seems better when it has had an opportunity to settle in the tank. I also add a very small amount of chlorine to the tank too.  I also had issues with the ballcock not closing fully and the tank overfilling.