Funds Pile Into Thailand as Vaccine Progress Boosts Tourism Hopes

webfact

3 hours ago, craigieboy1973 said:

But we western tourist spend the cash ... not like indians who buy a coke from 7/11 and 5 straws or chinese that are given vouchers to spend but only good in chinese owner businesses.... yes thailand another province of china

Western tourists form a bond with the people and Thais also do the same. This translates to ongoing support at street level. Although Prayut and his henchman missed that. Evident when farangs were giving away there pensions in Pattaya during the outbreak to feed Thais. What a terrible gov. A joke really.

Edited by tomauasia

16 hours ago, John Drake said:

Any country will need a cold storage distribution system, mainly through hospitals or local government agencies? Sounds like First World first, and Third World last to me. And Thailand is not First World.

Thailand is far from being third world check the definition.

It has an excellent medical system down to local clinics where currently doctors and nurses routinely perform health checks and inoculations.

From my observations it is as well placed if not better than some of your so called First world countries to distribute a Covid vaccine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Chiang Mai Bill said:

I just wish I knew what: ''buying the front-end of the Thai debt curve for exposure to baht gains,” means?

And I do not understand how betting on Thai currency gains -- and an even stronger Baht -- will be a major trigger for tourism -- but then I'm not a 'Thai bank strategist'!

I don’t think the Thai banks can answer this question.  Why even mention this without any details of information that can support it.  Is it a secret? 

The only tourist that interested in coming is China. It’s cold as hell there, there is flooding and raining hail, 

they running out of seafood due to the other countries sinking their fishing boats, and their sole reasoning is to establish on-line gambling as they did in Pasay, Philippines. 

Funds pouring into Thailand, why,why,why? This is a good question to ask Thaivisa since they put it out. They always leave the front door open to get others point of view of what really happening in this country. 

22 hours ago, keith101 said:

Why would tourists come here if the BAHT is to high all over again which will reduce their ability to spend money 

The baht has steadily got stronger over the last 15 years, why have international tourist numbers steadily gone up.

In the last few weeks, prior to any news on the vaccine, the baht has strengthened against all 3 major currencies. We can only hope it becomes a problem for the BOT and they intervene.

Any reduction in tourists will be fallout from the pandemic rather than anything to do with the baht.

20 hours ago, Bangyai said:

A lot more , which is why they don't care much about westerners.

As for the Chinese , their government is making them increasingly unpopular and they may find themselves a bit cash strapped in future.

Can't Westerners care about themselves? 

13 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Why impossible? This has been known about for quite some time. If doctor's surgeries in the UK have been given the equipment to store this vaccine, there's no reason whatsoever why the same facilities cannot be available in Thailand. Thailand is not a backward country in terms of medical facilities - remember its a world centre for medical tourism.

From a technical point of view I don't think its impossible at all. Whether the Thai government is/has actually prepared for this vaccine is a different matter but they'd find it very difficult to explain to the people when considered against their submarine buying exploits.

Prayuth is not exactly popular at the moment - he may feel that providing the vaccine together with the logistics involved might buy him a few brownie points.

I think he is going to need all the brownie points he can get, after he is chucked out of office, he will end up having to leave the country like Thaksin. I do not know much about Thaksin, but almost certainly he is not hated as much as this unelected "PM".

16 hours ago, Walter Travolta said:

Is this really true? Im not saying they dont part with their money, but where does their money go? I would guess their money goes to Chinese tour companies and then to Chinese owned hotels. Not sure how much the Thai population who depend on tourism for their income see of Chinese cash. A liitle 200 baht wooden elephant isnt going to pay for a childs education

Stop guessing and make silly comments about 200 THB. They spend on average over 7000 THB per person per day. How much do you spend?

Edited by FritsSikkink

24 minutes ago, Strongheart said:

Speak for yourself. Where did I claim that the phantom virus was "released by the Chinese"?

Well you need to have followed the virus from day 2 and have a good insight. I only speak for myself. My background allows me insight. Number one virus landed in there global debt locations with pin point accuracy. 

My opinion only. Thank you.

Edited by tomauasia

1 hour ago, tomauasia said:

Well you need to have followed the virus from day 2 and have a good insight. I only speak for myself. My background allows me insight. Number one virus landed in there global debt locations with pin point accuracy. 

My opinion only. Thank you.

Missed my point entirely. Go back to sleep.

19 hours ago, rupert the bear said:

90% is high for a vaccine,its usuallly about 50% effective

90% is relatively high (and better than many had expected) but I wouldn't say that 50% is usual - unless you're talking about flu vaccines specifically.

Most of the vaccinations for the common childhood illnesses are around 90% or higher, as shown by the chart below using data from the CDC.

Screenshot_20201114_123051.jpg

CDC vaccine effectiveness chart

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1

On 11/13/2020 at 12:15 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Slowly pricing out those tourists from the west with the Baht increasing, and then the high amount of money needed in a tourists bank account for 6 months prior to applying, not sure how the Chinese normal zero baht tourist will be able to meet the 500K THB 6 month requirement. That is, unless they have the money hidden from their own Government in a bank account overseas.

Chinese tourists requirements are not the same as for westerners.... Thailand is banking 100% on Chinese, they really don't (appear) to care about westerners or us expats

• Like 1

40 million people came here last year when the exchange rate was not that great.

When I travel and want to see a place, I could careless about the exhange rate.

If people/groups want to come on vacation I bet most do not fiddle with exchange rate penny pinching.

Seems to be more of an ex-pat fixed pension resident complaint.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

40 million people came here last year when the exchange rate was not that great.

When I travel and want to see a place, I could careless about the exhange rate.

If people/groups want to come on vacation I bet most do not fiddle with exchange rate penny pinching.

Seems to be more of an ex-pat fixed pension resident complaint.

Agree. Who worries about Satangs in the baht?

Only cheapskates.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

90% is relatively high (and better than many had expected) but I wouldn't say that 50% is usual - unless you're talking about flu vaccines specifically.

Most of the vaccinations for the common childhood illnesses are around 90% or higher, as shown by the chart below using data from the CDC.

Screenshot_20201114_123051.jpg

CDC vaccine effectiveness chart

interesting im aware of these types of infections ,many bacterial but this is a flu virus and should be compared against such,thats the point you seem to have missed it somewhat

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

What are you talking about? Are you one of those anti-vaccination 'experts' we see on Fox News periodically?

"most are usually 50% effective" - NO. They're usually pretty damn close to 100% because 50% would be useless. Could you imagine if condoms were 50% effective? Only the seasonal flu jab is round 50-60%. That's due to the virus constantly mutating. 

"Two doses of MMR vaccine are about 97% effective at preventing measles; one dose is about 93% effective. Children may also get MMRV vaccine, which protects against measles, mumps, rubella, and varicella (chickenpox)." - source;https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/measles/index.html

talk to dr fauci about it not me.the flu vaccs are about that effective and no im not an anti vacc person.we are here to comment on the virus vacc effectiveness that almost every med expert says its exceptional in its effectiveness in comparison to most flu vaccs ,another keyboard mouthpiece thats missed the point.condoms and vaccs my my what a stunning comparison.