UK PM Johnson's Brexit 'brain' Cummings to leave Downing Street

rooster59

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

Speak to any GCSE and A level teacher next time you are in the UK. You'll find that most parents want their children to go to university rather than learn a trade. Do as I say, not as I do

And most school leavers would rather spend three years getting a degree in drama or similar than get their hands dirty.

So what would you do; force them into the path you choose for them?

They are starting to realise that they could end up studying for four years at University and not being able to get a decent job , tradesman can be earning £ 1000 a week by the age of 20 , whilst the Uni guy is looking for a job in a shop .

Fair enough, some Uni guys do go on to get decent jobs , but theres far more graduates than there is jobs 

1 minute ago, Rookiescot said:

And of course there is always the option to go pick fruit and veg in the fields now that the dream of stopping immigrants from doing it has come true.

Will you be joining them?

I wouldnt mind it actually, going back to the UK in summer and doing a bit of farm work , 

32 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Yes he did say that, of course he would.

But he also said on the 16th May that "he would fight for a second referendum on Britain in Europe if the remain campaign won by a narrow margin next month.

The Ukip leader said a small defeat for his leave camp would be “unfinished business” and predicted pressure would grow for a re-run of the 23 June ballot.

Farage told the Mirror: “In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way."

I think you will find that Nigel has been campaigning for a referendum since the early 2000's

Even he admitted the chances of a 2nd referendum was next to zero

21 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

And of course there is always the option to go pick fruit and veg in the fields now that the dream of stopping immigrants from doing it has come true.

The pickers can still come (even during the first lockdown they were flown in on special flights) they just cannot live here without qualifying under the immigration act. Just like the seasonal Thai berry pickers in Sweden.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Whale said:

The pickers can still come (even during the first lockdown they were flown in on special flights) they just cannot live here without qualifying under the immigration act. Just like the seasonal Thai berry pickers in Sweden.

The Romanians who came last April did so without the need for a visa as we were still in the transition period and so they could use the FoM directive to come here and work.

Under that directive EU/EEA farm workers in the UK could finish one job for one employer and take another one with a different employer.

From 1/1/21 they, like non EU/EEA nationals at present, will need to obtain, and pay for, a Temporary Worker - Seasonal Worker Visa (Tier 5), which requires a certificate of sponsorship from an employer. They can only work for the employer named on the certificate, so cannot move onto a new one when that job is finished.

I have no knowledge of the Swedish immigration rules, but as Sweden is in the EU maybe the EU/EEA national seasonal workers who used to come here will in the future go there!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Early 1990s, actually.

Yes; in the Mail on 12th November 2019! And he was boasting, not admitting!

In May 2016 he did say in his Mirror interview that "If the remain 2campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it." But that's not the same thing.

In May 2016 he definitely effectively said that he'd campaign for one if remain won by a narrow victory.

campaigning for one and getting one is completely different , if he has been campaigning for one since the early 1990's it has taken him the best part of 20+ years to achieve that goal

16 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

As someone who was, until last December when all hope of such was lost, a campaigner for a referendum on whether or not to accept the UK/EU deal, I agree; campaigning for one and getting one are completely different!

But how does that change what Farage said in May 2016 about a 52/48 win for Remain being "unfinished business?"

It doesn't, and his meaning was obvious; if Remain won by such a close margin he would campaign for another referendum.

I see REMAINER Lord Adonis has started his campaign to rejoin the EU

REMAINER Lord Adonis has repeated his calls for Britain to rejoin the European Union - but this time demanded ditching the pound and joining the single currency for good measure.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1359819/brexit-news-lord-andrew-adonis-remain-britain-rejoin-european-union-euro-single-currency

If it ever happens and Scotland is still part of the UK it will be interesting to see how they would vote

Vote to rejoin the EU as part of the UK and kill off any chance for another scottish independence referendum or vote no in the hope of a scottish independence referendum when Scotland could join the EU as a seperate country

9 hours ago, vinny41 said:

I see REMAINER Lord Adonis has started his campaign to rejoin the EU

REMAINER Lord Adonis has repeated his calls for Britain to rejoin the European Union - but this time demanded ditching the pound and joining the single currency for good measure.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1359819/brexit-news-lord-andrew-adonis-remain-britain-rejoin-european-union-euro-single-currency

If it ever happens and Scotland is still part of the UK it will be interesting to see how they would vote

Vote to rejoin the EU as part of the UK and kill off any chance for another scottish independence referendum or vote no in the hope of a scottish independence referendum when Scotland could join the EU as a seperate country

Not sure a UK reentry to the EU would stop calls for independence.

If Brexit has taught us anything its that the EU is flexible when it comes to constitutional matters. An independent Scotland leaving the UK and the EU? 

I think the EU would offer an extended transition period until Scotland rejoined officially if the terms were OK for both. 

20 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Not sure a UK reentry to the EU would stop calls for independence.

If Brexit has taught us anything its that the EU is flexible when it comes to constitutional matters. An independent Scotland leaving the UK and the EU? 

I think the EU would offer an extended transition period until Scotland rejoined officially if the terms were OK for both. 

One of the sticking points in 2014 was that even if Scotland were (re)admitted to the EU after independence there was no way the terms would be as generous as the UK enjoyed.  With Brexit closing down all the UK rebates etc, that would no longer be a factor.

PH

• Like 1

Just now, Phulublub said:

One of the sticking points in 2014 was that even if Scotland were (re)admitted to the EU after independence there was no way the terms would be as generous as the UK enjoyed.  With Brexit closing down all the UK rebates etc, that would no longer be a factor.

PH

As I said the terms would have to be acceptable to both sides. I would also like a referendum to decide whether we would (re)join on the conditions offered. 

I do think there remains a lot of goodwill towards Scotland within the EU and its parliament given we voted overwhelmingly to remain in the EU so I dont think the conditions for entry would be too onerous.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1