Parliament addresses road accidents in seminar

rooster59

20 minutes ago, colinneil said:

What a load of bo++ocks, hold as many silly seminars as you want, wont change a damn thing.

What is needed is active policing, driver training, not seminars.

lanky CALM DOWN !!! WE al know that they like the freebies at seminars....then walk out and do sweet F. A 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, toofarnorth said:

I agree with Colin above. What a load of bollards  .   2 more should have turned up at this seminar but 1 suffered brake failure and the other went round a corner too fast after the road had been washed ........................

I bet they didn't suffer break failure when they went for an all expenses-paid lunch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Talking points and outcomes of the seminar will be considered in the move by the government to pursue road safety policies, in line with a national reform plan on road safety.

Yada yada yada ladida... talking points. That's all it will be. And another useless photo op. While the carnage continues outside, unabated. This 'seminar' on road accidents in Thailand is about as useful as a seminar against drug and substance abuse organised by drug lords.

Edited by outsider
  • Like 1

All it would take is a crackdown on drivers of both cars and motorbikes.  If you do not have a license and insurance your car or bike are seized and crushed.  No brown envelopes, no get out of jail free card, and if the RTP do not do the job they were hired to do then off they go.  Start making enforcement stops and get serious but, alas it will never happen. Just more lip service unfortunately. Talk is cheap, action costs money. Then start on the commercial vehicles, trucks transporting goods. Time to stop the overweight loads as well.

• Like 1

And once again in these safety and care seminar/meeting/committee photo ops by supposed experts and those in governance what do we see - no masks or social distancing.

Covid and road deaths - the two great lies of health and safety in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, tinca tinca said:

great post.......

You gotta be kidding it's someone who paranoid if you ask me and has no confidence in his driving or riding ability also probably lives in a bubble place in Thailand. 

There's many places in Thailand where it's safe on the roads. 

All Thailand needs to reduce accidentd is not what is popular but what many countries do enforced proper drive training and get the police to enforce laws. 

6 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

You gotta be kidding it's someone who paranoid if you ask me and has no confidence in his driving or riding ability also probably lives in a bubble place in Thailand. 

There's many places in Thailand where it's safe on the roads. 

All Thailand needs to reduce accidentd is not what is popular but what many countries do enforced proper drive training and get the police to enforce laws. 

Yes but more definitely No: proper driver education and testing first is necessary, then the policing aspect is less significant as - in theory - incidents should be much lower as you have better educated drivers on the roads.

Have to agree with most of what spidermike007 says myself.

Edited by pkrv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Total nonsense. Another seminar, is all this is. I see people driving here, with their families in the car, and doing things, and taking the kinds of risks no rational or sane person with common sense would do. What for? To gain one minute? Why take those risks? What is the logic? Often, when I am cruising along at 100kph, someone cuts right in front of me. Or someone comes out from the side road, right in front of me. I have to slam on my brakes, or change lanes to avoid him. I look in my rearview mirror, and there is nobody behind me. So, if he had waited two seconds, he would have had completely safe passage onto the highway. What gives? Where is the intelligence, caution, and prudence? Where is the common sense? What about just the survival instinct?

You want to improve traffic safety here? It is all about catching people performing moving violations. That is what causes most accidents. And herein lies the deterrent. As long as everyone is allowed to get away with extremely reckless driving, entering the highway in front of an oncoming vehicle that is only 100 meters away, going 100kph, cutting in front of vehicles within one meter at high speeds, swerving like crazy idiots all over the highway, 40 year old cars and trucks occupying the fast lane doing 40kph, when other vehicles are approaching doing 120kph, drunk driving, etc, accidents, major injuries and deaths will continue to happen, and no amount of rhetoric and platitudes by the fabulously incompetent and insincere authorities are going to make any difference.

The police are not here to protect you. They do not care one iota about your well being, your safety, or traffic safety. Expect that. Do not employ them, unless absolutely necessary. They will never, ever take proactive action when it comes to traffic safety. They are either at highway clogging road blocks, in the air conditioned stations playing cards, or playing on their phones, or they show up AFTER an accident has taken place. That is all they are good for. 

If driving, especially on a motorbike, treat the activity as an act of war, in a sense that you may be mowed down or killed at any moment. Maintain eyes in the back of your head. Watch everyone. Expect craziness, insanity, lack of reason, and a complete lack of courtesy and respect on the roads, at all times. Expect cars and trucks to be coming at you in the wrong lane. Expect people to overtake you with the slimmest of margins. Only ride a motorbike, if you have many years of experience. Especially on the southern islands, where huge numbers of foreigners leave Thailand in a wooden box. Wear the best helmet you can afford. And drive like a grandmother. This applies to ex-pats too. Bring along an international drivers license, if a tourist, and a Thai motorcycle license, if an ex-pat. This helps you to avoid being fleeced by the local police franchisee. Many of us drive motorcycles or scooters here, and it is dangerous getting on the roads with some of these other drivers. Getting on a scooter, or a motorcycle anywhere in Thailand, much less Phuket, Phangan, Dark Tao, or Samui without a very good helmet, is like playing Russian Roulette with three or four bullets in the chamber. The degree of recklessness here is astounding. And many foreigners come here thinking "how much trouble could I get in on a little scooter, on a tropical island"? Well, the answer is alot. The amount of foreigners who are killed on the Southern islands is staggering. Most are not reported in the media. I had a friend who worked for Samui rescue for many years, and said the numbers averaged 30-60 a month, on Samui, Phangan and Koh Tao. The official number is about 3 a month. Rider beware. Use as good a helmet as you can afford, and do not use these eggshells pieces of <deleted>. They crack at the first impact, and what lies underneath them? Your skull, which is very delicate. Of course those numbers mean little now, as there is far less traffic on the road, on the nearly deserted southern islands. 

Just ask yourself- do I have enough problems already, without a broken skull, or smashed head, or face injury, or lost eye? I have two friends who have been in motorbike accidents on Samui within the last two years. One still cannot walk, or talk or function on her own, from a motorbike accident, where she hit her head on the pavement going only 20 kph. The other one has lost alot of his mental capacity after hitting his head. He insisted for years he would never wear a helmet. Now, he seems 15 years older.

Just a few days ago, I was driving along at about 110kph, on a good, straight stretch of highway. A safe speed. And some joker cuts in front of me with his pickup truck. Within two meters in front of me, then slams on his brakes. I guess he never stopped to look at the lane he was cutting into to see that there was no room for him! I slammed on my brakes to avoid the numnut, and barely missed him. Would have been a horrific crash. Why? What was the point of him changing lanes? Why didn't he look first? Who changes lanes without looking first, when they are doing over 100 kph? Why so little regard for his wife, and for others? Where does that mentality come from? Why do Thais seem so polite, yet when they get into a car, everything they have ever learned in life goes right out the window? Why so little in the way of common sense, reason, and the ability to be careful and maintain some vision? Why such idiocy? The apparent lack of skill and peripheral awareness on the road here is very scary.

Real men do what is necessary to save lives. Kids and highly underdeveloped people make promises, tell lies and engage in deflection, and hold seminars. 
Little P. - Moving Thailand backwards at a breath taking, alarming, and astonishing pace. The Thai army. The most regressive force in the nation today. 

This has to be a front runner for post of the year.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

What is the logic? Often, when I am cruising along at 100kph, someone cuts right in front of me. Or someone comes out from the side road, right in front of me. I have to slam on my brakes,

You shouldn’t be going that fast on roads with side roads. 80 and 90 kmh maximum is the law, apart from motorways where it is 120 kmh.

Slow down before you kill someone. 

The right column is the motorway only.

65E41E19-8DAA-4155-A628-815DFF9DA8B7.png

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pkrv said:

Yes but more definitely No: proper driver education and testing first is necessary, then the policing aspect is less significant as - in theory - incidents should be much lower as you have better educated drivers on the roads.

Have to agree with most of what spidermike007 says myself.

Good call but only from a part of Thailand where a falangie is bleating on about how things are seen by him.

It doesn't help it's being going on like that in parts of Thailand before he came here.

He just states the boring repeatedly posts that are endless. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Without enforcement and real consequences not stupid lunch money fines there never will be any change.

Complete formal training and an adequate testing procedure is needed.

The whole "motoring" area needs scrapping and rebuilding.

Updated and properly enforced.

Dream on....ain't never gonna happen !

• Like 1
  • Sad 1