What do you love about Thailand?

15 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

All year summer?

You forgot to point out the 6 months of monsoon rains and floods.

Might be depending of choice of place to live; where I live – ????️ – it's mostly around 28° to 30° around the year, could be down to 25° when it's utterly cold, and up to around 32° when it's hot.

I have however experienced one not so tropical January-night in 15 years – freezing cold 17.9°???? – but that was a 100-year cold record (do you hear me, Greta...:whistling:).

North Eastern monsoon during November-December often lasts about 10 days, a few years there might be more than one storm, or the monsoon season lasts little longer, and a few year hardly any storms arrive. Same for full rainy days – 10-20 in a year, mainly between October and mid December – but lots of showers, some as real cloud bursts, which can give a few hours flooding at certain usual places, follow by more "summer-sun".

A typical island shower...

2015-12_Koh_Phangan-shower_IMG_0008e(1024).jpg.947dde7581b2f7b5dd894be04f17fc93.jpg

However, there was one year with 10 rainy days in a row – but not during the monsoon season, however in the middle of the dry period – and flooding as we got some 150 centimeter rain. They said in the news that it was the worst since beginning of measuring and recording the downpour more than 100 years ago; I consider it part of the excitements from living in "amazing Thailand"...????

Sure, it's "all year summer"...????????
–and now I'm looking forward to yet another "barefoot Xmas"...????

6 hours ago, khunPer said:

Might be depending of choice of place to live; where I live – ????️ – it's mostly around 28° to 30° around the year, could be down to 25° when it's utterly cold, and up to around 32° when it's hot.

I have however experienced one not so tropical January-night in 15 years – freezing cold 17.9°???? – but that was a 100-year cold record (do you hear me, Greta...:whistling:).

North Eastern monsoon during November-December often lasts about 10 days, a few years there might be more than one storm, or the monsoon season lasts little longer, and a few year hardly any storms arrive. Same for full rainy days – 10-20 in a year, mainly between October and mid December – but lots of showers, some as real cloud bursts, which can give a few hours flooding at certain usual places, follow by more "summer-sun".

A typical island shower...

2015-12_Koh_Phangan-shower_IMG_0008e(1024).jpg.947dde7581b2f7b5dd894be04f17fc93.jpg

However, there was one year with 10 rainy days in a row – but not during the monsoon season, however in the middle of the dry period – and flooding as we got some 150 centimeter rain. They said in the news that it was the worst since beginning of measuring and recording the downpour more than 100 years ago; I consider it part of the excitements from living in "amazing Thailand"...????

Sure, it's "all year summer"...????????
–and now I'm looking forward to yet another "barefoot Xmas"...????

What island is that?

Edited by bwpage3

On 11/17/2020 at 5:18 PM, wwest5829 said:

Yep, Covid has certainly screwed up the previos way Thailand and many countries have decided to try and guard against the spread. As a retired American, I am certainly safer here, as a result, than I would be in the US (or some other countries) so I am pleased under the current circumstances.

There's not much difference between Australia and Thailand in terms of safety. However, in terms of freedom of movement in the two countries, Thailand is way better.

I count myself lucky I left Australia for Thailand in February, two weeks before all the shutters came down.

The photo is a wedding I attended in Chiang Mai about a month ago. In Australia, all would be heavily fined, if not hauled away in handcuffs.

IMG20201010194857.jpg

On 11/21/2020 at 2:13 AM, Lacessit said:

In Australia, all would be heavily fined, if not hauled away in handcuffs.

Western governments love to charge, penalise, fine, imprison the minions for almost anything. Bureaucrats spend their day dreaming up more things to criminalise people for.

No wonder such as I love Thailand.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Western governments love to charge, penalise, fine, imprison the minions for almost anything. Bureaucrats spend their day dreaming up more things to criminalise people for.

No wonder such as I love Thailand.

Valid point. Being fined 200 baht for a minor traffic offense here is almost a pleasure in comparison.

• Like 2

On 11/15/2020 at 3:16 PM, bwpage3 said:

If you have to live in Thailand because of finances you can make it work, however, if you have the finances, there are much, much nicer places.

Thailand continues to go down hill year after year.

Years pass before a new government is elected, because the old government did absolutely nothing while they were in power.

Change of attitude towards foreigners. Make sure to keep 500,000 baht topped up so you can visit for 60 days and spend all your money.

Did you ever think how many 1,000's of countries you can visit without that requirement?

Air pollution and over crowding getting worse and worse.

Costs rising.

Poor exchange rate.

Just reported 41% of all Thai's living paycheck to paycheck.

How in the world could anyone even predict the next 1, 5 or 10 years in Thailand or the challenges that may arise due to the decisions of the government?

Student uprisings are just the start.

They are finally learning life and their future doesn't look quite so great.

I just love all the wining foreigners, that complains over everything.

• Sad 2

On 11/17/2020 at 1:39 PM, bwpage3 said:

When I first visited Thailand in 1984, I thought it was heaven.

Fast forward to 2020, it is hard to believe how far downhill Thailand has gone.

It is money or nothing. All about the money

Seriously, since 1984, which has gone further downhill, Thailand or you?

You came here young and you found Thais treated you well.

You are now over 50 and find Thais aren't interested all that much in you except for your wallet.

That happens all over the world and in any decade.

45 minutes ago, sidjameson said:

You are now over 50 and find Thais aren't interested all that much in you except for your wallet.

He is still sulking cos his missus told him they were going to live in the States. 

13 hours ago, sidjameson said:

I'm with him on it and IMO it's Thailand gone downhill because of love of money. I always assumed the Thai women I associated with were only in it for money, but they were delightful anyway, and back then they weren't on their phones all day long ( mobiles didn't exist, happily for us ) looking for an on line sucker.

19 hours ago, sidjameson said:

Seriously?

Before social media and western marketing blanketed Thailand, it was a much better place.

Has nothing to do with me or age.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm with him on it and IMO it's Thailand gone downhill because of love of money. I always assumed the Thai women I associated with were only in it for money, but they were delightful anyway, and back then they weren't on their phones all day long ( mobiles didn't exist, happily for us ) looking for an on line sucker.

Greed and money is 100% correct.

• Like 1