Power banks now a controlled product, require TISI stamp

webfact

Power banks now a controlled product, require TISI stamp

By The Nation

800_2262e5fa96d338a.jpg?v=1605510368

The Thai Industrial Standards Institute (TISI) announced on Monday that it was making power banks a regulated product for the sake of people’s safety.

Manufacturers or importers of power banks are now required to get a TISI stamp on their products, and face punishment if they fail to do so.

Those producing or importing power banks illegally can face up to two years in prison and/or a fine of up to Bt2 million. Sellers of non-standard products can face up to six months in prison and/or a fine of up to Bt500,000.

TISI said there are more than 100 producers and importers of power banks, but so far only five local manufacturers and 27 importers have applied for certification.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30398030

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-11-16

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, tifino said:

the only positive logic employed here is shown in the photo...

-    all the depicted suspect ones are the LiPo based units... 

Thank you No to LiPo... I always only use the 18650 based units 

Hopefully you don‘t think 18650 batteries are safe in general.

They can be extremely dangerous as well; YT can show you some nice clips ...

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

Once that law comes into effect I will have a large drawer full of illicit products. Will I have to remorsefully surrender to the authorities? And the owners of those other 100 million power banks in circulation, too?

Don't worry, every time a power bank owner goes through a Thai airport it will get confiscated by security (although they usually miss scissors).

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Haha 1

I presume any ordered from Amazon will now be intercepted and confiscated as a controlled item. Luckily I bought my 26000 mAh last year.

Pretty sure there must be a money making move in this somewhere. Maybe product withheld and released on payment of  a fee.

20 hours ago, anterian said:

As there are probably a few million already in circulation in Thailand this measure seems rather belated.

And what about computer stores (i owe a few around thailand) can we still sell the one we got in stock,. because we got nothing official from the goverment yet...

20 minutes ago, kralledr said:

Instead about to worry about powerbanks, the goverment shall do something about covid, and thinking about the economy!

You think they should enter into talks with covid, or maybe try to blow it up with a dodgy power bank?

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, anterian said:

As there are probably a few million already in circulation in Thailand this measure seems rather belated.

Maybe, but most are cheap <deleted> and will soon be in a lanfill or burned beside the road with other trash and plastic. 

Tens of thousands more will be sold from inventory and will meet the same fate in a few months. 

Like many laws in the Kingdom this will  probably be all bark and no bite. 

16 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

power bank melting on my countertop

Undocumented feature.

It was meant to have the added function of also being an instant countertop fryer but the marketing engineer couldn't figure out how to turn it off once it got going so the marketing material was dropped.