From David Bowie to The Beatles: Elvis Costello picks 500 greatest albums in history

snoop1130

From David Bowie to The Beatles: Elvis Costello picks 500 greatest albums in history

Best-Elvis-Costello-Songs-GettyImages-85513090-1.jpg

Elvis Costello (Google)

Quite often Far Out readers ask us to provide different series of lists with ‘the greatest albums of all time’.

It’s quite an imposing task, having to round up the best and brightest of the entire music world and present it as the definitive tome of rock greatness.

As we struggle to agree on most things, being the consummate debaters that we are, we have instead turned to a higher power, a mind much greater than ours, the mind of Elvis Costello.

Costello, born Declan Patrick MacManus, began his music career as part of London’s pub rock scene in the early 1970s before later paving the way as part of the first batch of the British punk and new wave movement that emerged in the mid-to-late ’70s.

Full Story: https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/elvis-costello-best-greatest-500-albums-of-all-time-list-bowie-beatles-dylan/

Greatest albums?

Some people including me moved to internet and never look back at past

with  albums.

Example will be xhamster where I watch and listen music for free and albums 

collect dust.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, olfu said:

Greatest albums?

Some people including me moved to internet and never look back at past

with  albums.

Example will be xhamster where I watch and listen music for free and albums 

collect dust.

You do understand that an album is a collection of music put together and released by an artist right?

the media is irrelevant whether you stream, download or play a cd or vinyl. Its still an album.

Edited by n00dle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is no "greatest album" as it is a matter of taste, unlike a track and field event. I have some favorites I think may be great, but that changes day to day. Maybe Rubber Soul one day & Hendrix first another. No problem, not keeping score.

I do feel a bit sorry for people who just pick and choose cuts & don't appreciate manner some old albums put together with intentional sequence, including "concept" albums. As we had to get up and flip album over, sometimes sides would be very different in theme, execution. Prime example is Steve Miller Band "Children of the Future": 1st side is something of a psychedelic journey with overall theme, something to go deep relax mode with. Second side is more straight ahead blues, etc with interesting transitions from tune to tune. And there's always "Dark Side of the Moon". "Tommy" was a rock opera, fer chrissakes... excuse this old man's rambling. Think I'll go listen to side 2 of Abbey Road

• Like 2

On 11/17/2020 at 2:09 PM, Emdog said:

There is no "greatest album" as it is a matter of taste, unlike a track and field event. I have some favorites I think may be great, but that changes day to day. Maybe Rubber Soul one day & Hendrix first another. No problem, not keeping score.

I do feel a bit sorry for people who just pick and choose cuts & don't appreciate manner some old albums put together with intentional sequence, including "concept" albums. As we had to get up and flip album over, sometimes sides would be very different in theme, execution. Prime example is Steve Miller Band "Children of the Future": 1st side is something of a psychedelic journey with overall theme, something to go deep relax mode with. Second side is more straight ahead blues, etc with interesting transitions from tune to tune. And there's always "Dark Side of the Moon". "Tommy" was a rock opera, fer chrissakes... excuse this old man's rambling. Think I'll go listen to side 2 of Abbey Road

"Wish you were here" is my #1 of all time, Hejira the #2. Point being that any "collection of music" will be different for every person making one. Costello's is ONLY his own collection.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

"Wish you were here" is my #1 of all time, Hejira the #2. Point being that any "collection of music" will be different for every person making one. Costello's is ONLY his own collection.

Hejira was great....as was most of Joni's.. Flow of Hissing of Summer Lawns another example of how albums were assembled with specific order to give the right "feel". Elvis C pretty smart informed dude... I suppose part of my complaint is regarding "social influencers"... jeez people, make up your own minds, if you can find... Used to be program on Aus TV "Guitar Show" had guest dude that played 30's Hawaiian jazz on resonator   remember him saying "What's good music? Whatever you like!"

On 11/18/2020 at 3:18 AM, bartender100 said:

Am I reading his list right? No Buddy Holly?

From the article, it seems that he was actually asked to come up with his favourite 500 albums and not 'greatest' as it is in the title. Elvis Costello is one of the few people that you feel could actually make the whole exercise interesting. 

• Like 1