Bangkok metered taxis can now charge special fees for luggage

webfact

36 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Taxis seem pretty cheap to me, and the drivers most always help me with my luggage. 

Perhaps this will result in reconfiguring the fuel tanks so you can actually put a few bags in the trunk. That would be worthwhile...

Maybe cheap to most farang but definitely not cheap for most Thai folks who make up 99% of their passengers.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

18 hours ago, fangless said:

Next they will be weighing each passenger.  

I understand why aircraft charge for excess baggage etc where weight equals fuel use and take off performance.  I am no car engineer but I do not believe that weight is a consideration with taxis otherwise we would be charged an excess for each additional passenger.

Just bring in dual charging one price for Thais and quadruple for Farang (I do hate that word) but have the price list like they do at the National parks so the foreigners do no understand.

Sounds like the result of a compromise to enforce taxis not to decline fares. I can hear them now..

...”cannot take because carry luggage”

whereas the real reason is..

..”I don’t want to accept this fare because I Don’t want to go that way because traffic”

..so instead of fixing the traffic problem the Governments band aid is to enforce taxis to collect all fares and to allow stupid surcharges for luggage.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, hasitha77 said:

will there be a price list with reference to the sizes? just like the price list along with the distance and waiting time which is rarely displayed on taxis. 
or is it all up to the driver to decide the fair? 

"The cabbie is required to inform the passenger in advance about the extra handling fees."

So all taxi drivers are multilingual and can inform all passengers in their native tongue prior to them entering the taxi. 

• Haha 2

They just keep coming up with new  ways to fleece the tourist, well done Thailand,  now when there is almost ZERO people coming to Thailand it will only be the taxi drivers who want to charge that will lose a fare for the sake of trying to screw the tourist for 50 or 100baht , you couldn't make this stuff up

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, berrec said:

"The cabbie is required to inform the passenger in advance about the extra handling fees."

So all taxi drivers are multilingual and can inform all passengers in their native tongue prior to them entering the taxi. 

No. They can easily enough point to the appropriate paragraph on the notice that hangs behind the front seats, adding a couple of suitcase graphics would help. All very easy.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, scorecard said:

No. They can easily enough point to the appropriate paragraph on the notice that hangs behind the front seats, adding a couple of suitcase graphics would help. All very easy.  

Yeah not exactly rocket science.  Just very confusing for some poor posters.

• Like 1

Why would anyone need more than a carry on and one suitcase? 

Why would you need a taxi from the airport when there a train, bus, and baht bus on the other end? 

Whatever waiting for you is not going anywhere so plan your travel and avoid spending money you can use for doing other things.

These guys are shooting themself in the foot. That’s why the Chinese do tours so they can get out the BS and leave the hard work on the tour company. I bet they bring more than required and never charged.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, outsider said:

Reminder to self: Take measuring tape along on next trip, in case I meet a cabbie who insists my 26-cm pouch is more than 26 inches.

Measuring tape: 1 side metric, other side imperial, add an additional side somewhere for converting Lbs into Kgs..... 

46 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Well yes you are stating the obvious; tongue in cheek comment by me of course.

But this policy has been in place for yonks at airports; my personal experience at BKK airport, no fare charge rates sheet or extra baggage notification behind the seat; no indication of the extra golf bag charge until arrival at our destination.  (always knew about extra 20 Baht per luggage piece)

I utilize BKK taxi commute regularly on a daily basis and I would have to say I very rarely see the taxi fare charge rates sheet on the rear of any taxi seats.  

No problem paying for extra bags at 20 Baht to support the taxi industry but a 100 Baht for a golf bag is just another Thailand rip off based on the perception if your carry golf clubs you must have the money to be touched up.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Is this bag surcharge just for taxis originating at BKK or DMK? I think so, but the article doesn't say exactly?

Or is it for any taxi trip in Bangkok?

And is the airport taxi surcharge still 50 baht? I thought that that was to supposed to be increased.

Any clue when this fee will begin to be charged? Effective date?

Edited by mtls2005

10 minutes ago, Disillusioned farang said:

Nope !  Lol 

Why all this complaining?? In Europe the pick-up charge was already 3 euro... A trip from house to train-station,( 15 mins; 12Km ) during regular working hours : 25 - 27 euro..... 10 years ago. Extra cost for luggage at every train-station or airport.......

• Confused 2

37 minutes ago, Truth Will Set You Free said:

Why would anyone need more than a carry on and one suitcase? 

Why would you need a taxi from the airport when there a train, bus, and baht bus on the other end? 

You’ve always travelled alone? You’ve never been skiing? never travelled with an infant? Never brought a load of stuff back from your home country? 

All of the above most certainly require more than a single 26” bag !

And who takes a bus or airport link with that much luggage and then have to get a taxi from Makkasan anyway !!! 

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You’ve always travelled alone? You’ve never been skiing? never travelled with an infant? Never brought a load of stuff back from your home country? 

All of the above most certainly require more than a single 26” bag !

And who takes a bus or airport link with that much luggage and then have to get a taxi from Makkasan anyway !!! 

Maybe this person gets everything locally, including ladies??????

40 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

If an additional 20 baht charge to a very cheap cab ride is finishing tourism then how could those people even afford to fly here in the first place?  

Ridiculous over reaction.

Overreaction and ridiculous is to come visit Thailand, go to a Hotel and spend your time in quarantine, pay insurance, Declare I don’t know how much in catch, Overrated Taxis, pay extra for luggage, go and spend your time in Immigration office to declare where are you going to sleep, and come back to your country with a few less thousands Euro.. Is this happen in other Countries?

Edited by Tarteso
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

I very rarely use the ordinary taxi service these days. It's more like 95% Grab. Of course often driven by taxis and a bit more expensive, but at least the fare is known beforehand and you don't have to run around waving down taxi after taxi before finding one willing to take you to your destination.

It's not really about the  money, it's more about the principle of the taxi service offered. I normally give a handsome tip based on a few factors.

1. Driver talks some English / Good attitude

2.  Clean taxi

3. Offers to help with the luggage

4. Drives direct to my destination without the run around

5. Uses the meter.

6. If he is decent, I will take his number and offer first refusal for my return trip.

So now I guess I'll just use the tip to cover any baggage cost - Simple.

By the way, is this really only for airport baggage or will this spill over to shopping bags etc outside from the airport? 

Cant wait for the BS to start

Edited by curious297
  • Thanks 1