Bangkok metered taxis can now charge special fees for luggage

webfact

20 hours ago, fangless said:

Next they will be weighing each passenger.  

I understand why aircraft charge for excess baggage etc where weight equals fuel use and take off performance.  I am no car engineer but I do not believe that weight is a consideration with taxis otherwise we would be charged an excess for each additional passenger.

That's a good idea. I'm sure they will now look at that option now you have suggested it .   Maybe also an additional  surcharge for non-Tha nationalities  same as national parks, temples and many commercial enterprises.

• Confused 1

This has been the norm in France since the early 90's, maybe even longer. When we were there in 97 we were slugged extra for our luggage and no signs anywhere in the taxi advising of these additional charges. So I'm not surprised to see this brought into effect here.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tarteso said:

Overreaction and ridiculous is to come visit Thailand, go to a Hotel and spend your time in quarantine, pay insurance, Declare I don’t know how much in catch, Overrated Taxis, pay extra for luggage, go and spend your time in Immigration office to declare where are you going to sleep, and come back to your country with a few less thousands Euro.. Is this happen in other Countries?

In every country where tourists go....

58 minutes ago, Chiang Mai Bill said:

Seems very strange to introduce price increases to taxi fares when there is a dearth of tourists.  Seems like the old Thai idea of 'when profits dip, increase prices' still persists!

Covid didn't kill the Th way of thinking... 55555

1 hour ago, agudbuk said:

That's a good idea. I'm sure they will now look at that option now you have suggested it .   Maybe also an additional  surcharge for non-Tha nationalities  same as national parks, temples and many commercial enterprises.

Happens in many other countries..... If you haven't been you cannot compare or criticize... 

22 hours ago, Katipo said:

This is definitely the best time to be implementing measures to make it more time consuming and expensive for tourists to come to Thailand. Such foresight. Much optimism.

Couldn't find anywhere in the op that this charge is for tourists. 

Years ago I was a cabbie in Australia and we used to charge for any bag that went on the boot

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Katipo said:

This is definitely the best time to be implementing measures to make it more time consuming and expensive for tourists to come to Thailand. Such foresight. Much optimism.

"Tourists to come to Thailand"?? - I thought they already fixed that problem by adding the half million baht requirement to Tourist Visas. 

• Like 1

I  think this is very fare  most  Taxi  drivers   I  been with are freindly  polite  and the  charges  are as cheap  as anywhere in the world 

They  always  try  to please me with  luggage   and  other  carry Items

They deserve  this little  extra  all  cabbies  I have been  with have been great to this farang  and his  Thai wife

In fact  cos drivers are so  bad in Thailand  I would never hire a  car  to drive  

Taxi,s  are  much cheaper  to get around in  everyday I have found 

Very   convenient   and  always  available  

If the fare  is  100   baht  which  is  a good  way   drive   I always tip  40  baht  anyway  

Airport   last trip took  2 1/2  hours to go  35  klms    so much bloody  traffic   was a holiday  time  

Cost   for 2  1/2  drive   650 baht..I  tipped him  100  baht 

Good Luck Thailand 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elreeco said:

Tape measure ??????????

Doesnt matter, just measured my standard suitcase. Guess what it is some longer then 26 inch.

They already knew.Problem solved, any standard suitcase is 20 Baht.

Change to cubic suitcase of 25X25X25? No problem then, except fitting in taxi then 555

• Haha 1

This may be spreading. Just dropped off GF at Ekkamai to get the bus to Pattaya (big bus 119 Baht). There was a new table of prices in the ticket booth window saying something about baggage fees at 20 Baht for a 20kg bag to go in the hold. Only had 5 minutes and hand carry so grabbed ticket and took her directly to the bus so no pic of fares. Would be interesting to see if all land transport carriers now start charging for bags. My guess is that they will. 

5 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

If an additional 20 baht charge to a very cheap cab ride is finishing tourism then how could those people even afford to fly here in the first place?  

Ridiculous over reaction.

The problem is not the 20 baht but the drivers who will try to BS you with whatever they think they can get away with. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jomtienisgood said:

Why all this complaining?? In Europe the pick-up charge was already 3 euro... A trip from house to train-station,( 15 mins; 12Km ) during regular working hours : 25 - 27 euro..... 10 years ago. Extra cost for luggage at every train-station or airport.......

We don't live in Europe and have no interest at all what they charge in BXL, AMS or Paris.

• Like 1